Author Topic: Orchid Care???  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Orchid Care???
« on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:00:31 PM »
I sure hope someone can help me.  We received an orchid for Christmas and I have not even the slightest clue how to take care of it.   The tag says that it is a "Intergeneric Orchid".  Then on the back it tells me that "Odontoglossum/Oncicum intergenerics are a large group of cool growing South American orchids.  Many sizes, colors and shapes of long lasting exotic flowers"

"Plant care

Light:  Bright filteres, no direct sun.  Feed:  Twice a month with half strength balances liquid feed.  Water:  Keep evenly moist.  Temperature: 70-75 Day, 55-60 Night"

So that is all I have to go on.  We put it above Dan's desk where it will get indirect light from the window and light from the overhead lamps as well.   Right now it is in a plastic container, about 3 inches I think and that is stuck in a 4 inch terra cotta pot. 

It has 3 sets of green stems and then what may be a flower stalk attacked to a stick but there are no flowers actually on it so I do not even know what it will look like.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

MassMama

Re: Orchid Care???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2007, 10:15:26 PM »
 :SmileyNailbiting: :SmileyNailbiting: I am not up on my orchds But have hear they are a tough one to care for.. I think Duh has a few. Hoping she will be able to help.
I sure hope you get it to do well and that it will bloom so we can see pics of it Triss!!  :BigGrin:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2007, 10:56:05 PM »
You and I both Rita.  I know Patty has some as well so I know I will get good information!

Offline Patty S

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2007, 12:40:03 AM »
I'm not all that familiar with the strain of Orchid you have, but the care instructions sound about right for most of the orchids that I have here.... except for the "keep evenly moist" part. :ScratchHead: Within the Intergeneric family, there are lots of different varieties, & one that I do know about (the Cymbidium) does prefer a continuously moist medium.

An important point I might stress to you, is to pay close attention to the feeding guidelines... when it says half strength, it means :critic: half strength! I alternate a liquid orchid food & VF-11, but I don't necessarily feed/water them every 2 weeks.

With the orchids I have (Dendrobium, Phalaenopsis, Cattleya), the watering needs are pretty much dictated by the season and/or the humidity level inside the house (or in the area where they're kept. In the bathroom, for example, an orchid would need to be watered less often). We have a more arid climate here than you do, so I water more often during the summer & I also keep a dish of water on the lighted shelf where they live. (I got a tabletop fountain for Christmas, so I'll be replacing the water dish with it!) :clap:

FYI - A couple basic rules for raising orchids:

*DON'T transplant it out of the cheap-o looking plastic pot it came in. Lowering it into a prettier pot is OK, but make sure it has drainage holes on the bottom. One mistake that I've heard people make is that because Orchids are a "swamp plant", they like to have their feet wet. :Smileystop: UNTRUE! Orchids may be found in tropical swamplands & rain forests, but you'll never see them with their roots in the water. (For the most part, they're parasitic plants that attach themselves to the trees & rocks that sit in the water, taking in water only as needed.) Humidity is the main priority in raising happy orchids, as they absorb & store water through their succulent leaves (& in some types, their pseudobulbs), & can actually thrive for a good long time without receiving water through the roots.

*NEVER repot an orchid into potting soil, but rather use a commercial "orchid mix" or bark medium, & when you do water them, don't allow their roots to sit in the water for more than about 10 minutes before draining.

Most of what I've said applies to the type of orchids that I have here, so I think that your best bet is to go along with the care instructions that came with your new plant. I'm curious about whether it's planted in a bark or lava rock medium, or if it's in soil... that would tell me a lot more about the type of intergeneric you have there. Seeing a picture of it, even though it's not blooming yet, might help too.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2008, 05:11:19 AM by Patty S »

MassMama

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2007, 09:04:11 AM »
I am doing some looking up for you Triss.. Hope these links help you out a bit.
Orchid

and this one as well..

More Info for ya

Good luck in your search for your flower  :Gardeninhail:
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2007, 09:51:52 AM by Rita »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2007, 03:03:07 PM »
Thanks so much for the input.  I decided not to put it in the bathroom for the winter cuz it is the coldest room in the house although it is also the most humid.  I will get pics this week when I am feeling better and really read over the links you posted Rita.  I guess I need to get fertilizer for it as well.

MassMama

« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2007, 09:01:09 AM »
Did you ever get a Picture of it Triss? Or figure out exactly which one it is?

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2007, 01:08:12 PM »
Nope, neither.  I will try and get a pic of it today.  I looked a lil more closely at it last night and it appears like the roots are growing up out of the bark that it is planted in... I really need to take a few pics of it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2007, 02:15:05 PM »
Hi Triss,  I'm no expert but mine are also temperate zone orchids.  I am growing them in wood chips.  The store was out of orchid mix when I got there.  Good drainage is a must.  I have mine in tall pots with holes in the bottom-side of the container equally spaced 1/3 distance apart.  They usually bloom in the spring if they get the right amount of light and the blooms can last a very very long time.

It really isn't a problem if the roots stick out the top.  I have one that likes to do that.

I use the wood bark stake in my containers so that when I get a stem I'll have something semi-soft to tie it to. 

I water a little everyday since I have time.  And i set them in fertilized water for 20 minutes about 1st a month.  It should be more I suppose but I forget alot.  I dip one, and then the next, and then the next, They seem to like it.  And will usually put on a growth spirt after I dip them.

I have a humidity tray on the cabinet with them because they do like humidity. 

Last year I had them in the kitchen during the fall when I do a lot of cooking.  They really liked that but it was a bit to bright.

About the root that is sticking out.  Orchids can grow on wood so if it heads for any of your woodwork I'll stick a piece of untreated wood in it's way. 

I still consider myself a beginner with these although I've been lucky enough that they haven't died.  I'd love to hear how yours does.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2008, 01:13:39 AM »
So the roots will start a new plant if it comes in contact with wood?  I have it setting on a wood desktopper right now.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2008, 01:31:19 AM »
Ok here we go with the pics close ups of the plant, the roots and what I assume is the flower stem.

MassMama

« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2008, 06:29:53 AM »
looks healthy Triss.. Maybe a bit under nourished or under watered ( I am not sure just judging by the yellowish Leaves)
I don't know anything about Orchids .. Are you suppose to trim off the old stem?  :unsure:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2008, 10:09:42 AM »
My Golden Showers Orchid that I got from Nor in Malaysia looks like that.  With the flat wide segments.  I got yellowed leaves when the roots were sitting in water before I put drain holes in my tall pots.  So I would check that.

I'd transplant into a tall thin pot putting something heavy in the bottom to weight it so it doesn't get knocked over.  Then use Orchid potting mixture or tie it to a piece of wood. 

It doesn't nessarially make a baby when it comes into contact with wood it just puts out a root like thing that will hold it to the wood.  I'm probably still not making sense am I? 

You see the orchid does not require soil to grow.  It grows high up in trees and runs it's roots down into the crooks in trees and it gets it's water and nutriements from there.  Not much as you can imagine.  Which is why it is easy to love an orchid to death so to speak.  So when an orchid comes in contact with wood it has a root that will help it hold on to the trees.

Also they do pull moisture out of the air so you do need to give it a humidity tray.

And yes those are the stems from last years blooms so they can be pruned back.  The blooms for next year will grow on new stems.  Something I am looking forward to this year. 

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2008, 03:59:46 PM »
Ok I will look into a tall thin pot with very good drainage.  When I watered it, it did drain off right away but it sure is loose in the container it is in right now.  I will also trim off the flower stem as well and get the right potting mix and fertilizer.

Offline Patty S

« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2008, 03:40:10 AM »
Triss, if you're going to take your orchid out of the plastic pot it came in, you'd do best not to replant it into a clay (or terra-cotta) pot, because the clay will hold moisture & the plant could get more water than it needs or wants. I can't stress enough, that most orchids contain their own water supply, & can easily be overwatered.

Thanx for posting the pics. I can't tell what kind of orchid yours is, but those fruit looking things are definitely "psuedobulbs" (which are actually water storage organs), so that rules out terrestrial orchids, which do grow in regular soil. (Such as the Phragmipedium, which is the "slipper" variety... the blossom of which resembles some of the throated carnivorous Pitcher Plant blooms, & also attracts insects for polination purposes, but doesn't digest them.) 

The whitish-green roots on yours indicate that your orchid is very happy! :Yahoo: Those roots can act as a monitor for you, as to whether or not it's happy with the amount of moisture it's taking in. The roots of this type of orchid are primarily "air roots"... that's why they do so well in either, organic bark or inorganic lava rock mediums, which allows for air space. (Again, humidity is more important in orchid care than regular watering, cuz the leaves & roots were designed to glean the amount of moisture they need, from the air. The fact that we've brought them indoors, away from nature, is the only reason they may need occasional watering.) Those air roots will age & eventually turn brown (they can be either spongy or brittle), & should be snipped off when they get to looking like "dead stuff" & new ones have taken their place.

When I had company over the holidays, all my houseplants were pretty much neglected. :Whis: It wasn't until you first mentioned your new orchid, that I realized I hadn't even looked at mine for 6 weeks! I was pleased today, when I saw that they had apparently been behaving themselves all that time... (& were probably relieved that I'd been ignoring them!)

Orchid care is so involved that I can't begin to cover all the bases, but there are some important things about watering that might help as you baby your new plant.
  • #1. Orchids don't like tap water, because of the metals & other additives (chlorine, fluoride & God knows what else). Unless you're on a well, only use reverse-osmosis bottled water or rain water for watering, misting, or when diluting orchid food.
  • #2. NEVER use water from a softening system, because it has a salt content.
  • #3. When watering, take care that puddles of water aren't allowed to sit on the leaves, or that any leaves that droop down aren't in contact with standing water that might spill over. (This doesn't mean the droplets that come out of a spray bottle... those are absorbed by the leaves, or evaporated quickly enough, so they don't do damage.... but do mist them.) Here's just a mild example of "water burn". (I've had it worse, when I first started with orchids & didn't know any better)... & it will never heal.

Quote from: duh
My Golden Showers Orchid that I got from Nor in Malaysia looks like that.  With the flat wide segments.  I got yellowed leaves when the roots were sitting in water before I put drain holes in my tall pots. 

Yellowing leaves can also be an indication of too much light, depending on which type of orchid you have.

Duh, I believe that your Golden Showers orchid is of the Oncidium variety... very pretty! :ThumbUp: A couple years ago, Norhaini also sent me some type of orchid, but the sticky note I put with it has since disappeared, & I have no idea which one it is now! :dummy: (BTW, do you have an Epiphytic orchid?  That's the only type I know of, that actually attaches itself to available wood & will climb on it. I've never had any of mine do that!)

* Click on "orchid 101" from the Oncidium link (above), then on "faq" for some useful info about orchids!

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2008, 05:05:25 AM by Patty S »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2008, 03:05:20 PM »
Patty, what are you referring to when you say the "fruit looking things"

I watered it with tap water when I first got it but will use rain water from now on.  I have a bunch of it stored so access is not a problem.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2008, 11:49:45 AM »
Thanks for the info Patty I didn't know it was only one kind of orchid that put out those "climbing roots".  That's good to know.  One of the reasons I've stayed away from orchids are those climbing roots.  Now I know that those and the tropical orchids are the ones I want to stay away from.  Those and the "Bird Orchids".  Those are super gorgeous but there is no way I could simulate the conditions they need.

Maybe when I get my new place over time I'd be able to develop the kind of conditions needed for them.  Only time will tell that one.

Thanks again for the information.

Mostly I've looked into the vanilla orchid and just some general information.  It looks like there is masses of information and it's best to identify and then research.  I still have two that are unnamed because I've never seen them bloomed.  But they seem to put up with my care so I'm just continuing to do what works until I can identify them.

That article did explain why the golden shower foliage was a lighter shade of green than the other two.  Interesting information.

Mine are about 4 feet away from an east facing window underneath a CFS bulb that I turn on for about 4 hours in the evening.  it seems to be working out for them.

Offline Patty S

« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:36:58 PM »
Duh, the orchid world is so vast & so diverse, I think it would take a lifetime to learn about all of them... (and it would also probably mean not paying any attention to any other plant! :Wacko: Wouldn't work for me!) Please note that I said that the Epiphytic orchid is the only type I know of that climbs on wood... there are probably others that do it, but I don't think my knowledge of orchid types even scratches the surface! (I can't even pronounce the names!) :wink5:

I think that with an ultramodern greenhouse, you could simulate the right atmosphere for the exotic orchids, but I also think it might be pretty spendy & time consuming.  If either of us ever had a windfall & could do that, we'd never see a dime of our investment returned, cuz I think it'd take an act of congress to get us to cut one of those flowers, to sell! :giggle:

Triss, this is what I referred to as the "fruit looking things".

If a person doesn't know the term, "psuedobulb", that's the only thing I can think of to describe them... they sorta look to me like something you'd eat, if it was a food plant! :nutz: (Didn't mean to throw you off... as far as I know, nobody eats orchids! They're too dadburned hard to raise! If they are edible, they'd certainly be a delicacy, cuz they're among the slowest growing plants on Earth!)

Duh, I sure wish you could save up & get a camera! :thpullhairout: You always talk about your plants & I know I'm not the only one who would like to see them.  If you could post pics of your orchid plants, we could bat ideas around here & make guesses at what types they are!
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2008, 12:44:22 PM by Patty S »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2008, 01:27:46 PM »
Thanks for the pic on that Patty.  I am with you, I would love to see Duh's plants.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:42:34 AM »
Dianna and Jim sent me a wonderful camara.  I just have to wait until I can update to a pentium computer before I can use it.  And that day probably isn't to far off.  But it will definitely be after the move.  According to a friend you can buy a used pentium for around 150.00 dollars around here.  And that just might fit my budget depending on how things go.

So someday you will see my plants just not right now.  And believe me I'd love to show them to you.  Especially the Epi.  That silly thing has really taken off this year.  It's many times larger than it was when I got it from Faith.

christy

« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:17:30 AM »
 :Wow:  lots of good info here!!!!  i so want to get some  :ThumbUp:
i just need to learn about em first.  :grinnnn:

duh,  that was sweet of dianna n jim!
you could take it to wallmart n they could put your pics on a cd, corse i dont know what a pentium computer  is.   :Wacko:
alls i know is im on a old computer that dosent have a ubb thing to plug my camara in, so i plan to take it to wallmart n put pics on a cd.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2008, 01:24:21 AM by christy »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal