Author Topic: The climbing prices of food  (Read 7160 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
The climbing prices of food
« on: Jan 09, 2008, 02:23:04 PM »
Found this article today. For those of us already pinching every penny, things are looking bleak when it comes to the prices of food. I know I will be putting in a garden that is at least double the size of last years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/18/business/18food.html?ex=1355634000&en=0f476f8f558d3d5e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline patches

Re: The climbing prices of food
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2008, 03:15:43 PM »
Interesting article, Sarah, but very depressing!  :(  Of course, I really didn't need to see an article to know that dairy and bread products (among other things) were soaring through the roof, since I'm reminded of that every time I got the the store, but I guess it gives a better perspective on things.  :unsure:  Thanks for posting it!   :thx:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2008, 04:59:35 PM »
It is very interesting and sure makes you want to go out and start farming just to save your own family some money.  It is sad that in the end it is all of us who have to pay more for just the basics to feed our families.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

MassMama

« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2008, 06:07:21 PM »
I think we need to buy a big ole piece of land and make a farming village for ourselves  :SmileyNailbiting: sheesh gas food oil where the heck is it going to end.. Can freeze and preserve all summer and raise some chickens pigs and cows for foods and fertalizers .. :ThumbUp: then I am all hopped on cough medicine  :nutz:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
Cough meds or not... it is a really good plan!  With a lot of people co-oping together, can you just imagine the savings...

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2008, 07:48:32 PM »
Here's another article that shows what one family of four would have consumed in one year in the 1950's. It's quite a bit different than what is seen in today's carts.

http://nc.startribune.com/blogs/oldnews/?p=204

Click the picture to inlarge.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2008, 09:39:15 PM »
by Rita:
I think we need to buy a big ole piece of land and make a farming village for ourselves.

We could start a commune for SSH'ers!  :rofl1:

For those that don't like to cook, but eat, we would have cooks. For those that don't like to weed, but garden, we would have those that like to calm down while weeding, etc.....

Just imagine the possibilities!  :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

MassMama

« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:24:07 PM »
 :banana02: Now wouldn't that be just as fun as it gets..  :hb3: Hmmm and all the money we would save by Making our own beer and wine.. ... I think its a great idea we need to call TLC  :rofl1:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2008, 11:36:08 PM »
Here's another article that shows what one family of four would have consumed in one year in the 1950's. It's quite a bit different than what is seen in today's carts.

http://nc.startribune.com/blogs/oldnews/?p=204

Click the picture to inlarge.
That is impressive. I almost remember that far back. I'm sure our family of four in '52 didn't spend nearly so much on food.
Things that are not on that list are salt and spices dried beans and legumes, other things like squashes and sweet potatoes that were on everyone's tables back then. 
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline patches

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2008, 12:59:40 AM »
Hmmm, why do I get the same picture and information when I click the link for the family in 1954 as I did for the first link.  :dunno:  The headline says 1954, but the picture is the same and it seems the article and food list is same.  It still has them using 350 pounds of sugar in a year and I don't think I even use 12 lbs. in a year. :Whis:  I know I'm only one person, but if I add three more of me then I'm still only up to 48 pounds.   ;)

Just an interesting side note, from what I've heard the kids back then weren't hyper like they are today!!!   :ScratchHead:
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2008, 02:08:26 AM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2008, 01:17:20 AM »
But I'm sure that you actually do use  about that much sugar per person, Patti. The occasional sweet roll or donut that you purchase was often home made back then instead of purchased. Or the sweetened drinks you might drink now that used to be home made lemonade or koolade  back then. So now we have cake mixes.  Most people didn't use them back then. Home made jams and jellies?  There were a lot of people canning their own fruit and preserves. That type of stuff is where all the sugar was used. Now we buy more conveniently packaged up for us. But eat about the same amount of sugar in the end.

Offline patches

« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2008, 01:59:03 AM »
Yes, Tina, I can see that now because the people then baked cakes from scratch, made their own jams & jellies and canned their own fruit and preserves, so it's probably not a lot.  It just seemed like a lot to me when I first read it.  :yikes:

I'm sure that you actually do use  about that much sugar per person

Well, I really don't, because I'm not that crazy about sweets.  :smileyNo:  I don't buy many pastries, since I still like graham crackers and milk for a snack and a small jar of Plum jam for toast.  I like milk to drink; however, I do love my chocolate milk, and I'm sure there's some sugar there.  I buy Jello and some cans of fruit, especially pineapple, but I'm probably still well below average when it comes to sugar consumption since most of the sugar I buy goes into my Humminbird nectar.  ;) 

Tina, what did you get when you clicked on link for the 1950's?   :ScratchHead:
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2008, 02:10:27 AM by patches »

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2008, 05:53:34 PM »
I got a picture of a family of four in 1952 surrounded by all of the typical food that they would use for a year.  And below was a list.

christy

« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2008, 03:40:37 PM »

every thing keeps going up but our paychecks!  :razberry:

:yikes: that cleveland family in 1950  was makin 30,000 a year!!  thats alot for 1950,  n i dont spend no 1,300 a month on food, im thinkin half of that was for there dinner guests,   :Whis:  bet if they put a poor fam in there you wouldnt of seen that much food.
my grampap kept a garden when my mom was young, she never seen steak till she had dinner at my dads house, n thats caused he lived on a cattle/vegie farm, he never went without food when he was young caused they had it right there, freezer got low they go n slaughter a cow themselfs,

:laughmao: rita that reminds me of those old time abbys, it could be called the SSH ABBY  :laughmao:  :ThumbUp:

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2008, 06:35:44 PM »
It was 30,000 adjusted to todays figures, Christy.  I'm sure it was significantly less back then.

I know when I was canning peach, strawberry, and blueberry jam this summer, I went through 26 lbs of sugar.   :yikes:

We probably spend around $1600 a year and don't eat half that good!!  And I cook everything from scratch, no mixes or premades for me. 

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2008, 06:40:33 PM »
I know I buy sugar by the 50 pound sack, and go through about 3 a year. Also buy flour that way, and use 6 or so a year.

christy

« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2008, 12:04:54 AM »
It was 30,000 adjusted to todays figures, Christy.  I'm sure it was significantly less back then.

:Blush: oops  :Blush:  :smack:  :laughmao:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:30:25 AM »
I plan on growing alot more veggies this year, in pots mind you, but still growing more, we spend around 300.00 every 2 weeks on groceries, so $150.00 a week, and alot of it is veggies for soups and stews.

Offline patches

« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:15:08 AM »
Penny, I would like to grow a lot more veggies this year too.  I just have to figure out where I''m going to grow them.  :dunno: I'm usually only cooking for one person, but the prices are still killing me.  :SmileyFit:  I sure wouldn't want to be feeding a family these days.  :smileyNo:   
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2008, 12:16:50 AM by patches »

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
I am on the hunt for some big plastic buckets and pots to grow mine in, I've been reading up on them and says that they will thrive, so thats what i'm doing, you should try that Patti, i am tight on space and thats why i'm doing it, some you could even freeze once they are washed.

Offline patches

« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2008, 03:50:56 PM »
Penny, I've got lots of huge pots and containers I could use, but the problem is where to put the containers. :dunno:  My patio is postage stamp size so if I put them there I would have no place to sit. :smileyNo:  If I put them out in my yard it would cause a problem with trying to cut the grass around them.  :SmileyFit:   

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:02:38 AM »
 :ScratchHead: Hmmm, that does pose a problem doesnt it, what if you narrowed it down to a couple that you really really want and tried them in hanging baskets, as long as you have somewhere to hang them, that is  :Blush: :grinnnn:

Offline patches

« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2008, 03:32:55 PM »
Actually, I'm not sure there's any place I could hang them where they would get full sun.  :dunno:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2008, 12:37:17 PM »
Well shoot, shy of seeing pictures of your yard, then i dont know what to suggest for you Patti?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal