Author Topic: Michigan Bulb Co  (Read 2423 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Michigan Bulb Co
« on: Jan 12, 2008, 09:40:46 AM »
I know I shouldn't set my heart on getting the trailer and land but I sort of have and my reaction to the Michigan Bulb catalog proves it.  There are things in there that aren't anywhere else.  I know they have a bad reputation for making good on orders that don't work out right the first time but there are so many things that I want.

So just to get it out of my system I'll tell you all about it lol.

First of all they have a spend 40.00 and get 20.00 off coupon.  That's always a plus.

Then they have a Summer Cheer Daffodil that blooms in summer and is fragrant.  It's a double bloom and it looks fantastic.

Then they have the red storm border lily again fantastic shape and color I just love it.

And then there are blue berries a must if I get the land.  I do like blueberry muffins.

They also have the Himalayan Blue Poppy in this catalog.  I remember the is a string about this flower.

And they have peonies.  You know I'm going to get the peonies.  As if I can resist and double bloom peony lol.

And miniature roses, I love miniature roses.

And they have dinnerplate dahlias I'd love to have some of these for my dream cutting garden.

Dare I mention the Black Magic Hollyhock.  You know I wouldn't pass that up.

And they have the climbing shell plant for my indoor garden.

And they have chocolate cosmos.  I'd love to have an area dedicated to all the chocolate smelling flowers.

And they have the painted ferns to go underneath the nut trees that I would like to grow.

And they have the entire color range of lentil roses.  I'm not sure I would try them again but it is so tempting to have flowers that would bloom in winter underneath my trees.

And then ballon flowers.  I definitely want to have some of those.

The double tuberrose would be another addition to the garden that I would really like.

And then we have the rollercoaster juncus and the maiden grass and the fountain grass all of which look good to me.

And then a flowering almond tree.

And the double mock orange as well as the pink splash variegated weigela and the pink pussy willow.

And the Korean Fir looks so interesting it would be hard to pass up too.

The Royal Paulownia to shade the trailer and cut back on the air conditioning bill is a must have.  And I love the look of the Golden Chain Tree.

And should I mention the roses?...probably not.  They are expensive in this catalog but so tempting.

And then there are the fruits and veggies.  Grapes, Raspberries, and Blackberries and Rhubarb yummy.

And then they have the dwarf fig, banana, pineapple and pomerganate, tangerine, orange, lemon and lime for my imaginary green house.  Oooooooh can you just imagine?

Plus the canterbury bells they are so old fashioned looking I just love them.

And there is my walk through the Michigan Bulb Companies Catalog.  Has anyone else gotten it yet?

MassMama

Re: Michigan Bulb Co
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2008, 10:04:52 AM »
 :rofl1: :rofl1: I just got my cataloge the other day too Duh.. I have ordered from them and Had good luck .. I have never heard a squabble about sending me another plant if the one I had died .. they seemed to be good about it. I have been buying a good stock of plants and veggies so that is the only reason I have not really shopped thru them in a while

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:38:18 AM »
Were there any plants in there you DONT want? :laugh1: There is a site called garden watcgdog to check out any mail order seed and plant catalogs.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:01:24 AM »
I did write a book didn't I?  Maybe I should of listed the plants that I don't want.  It might have been quicker. 

I'm just getting gardener's itch to plant something and I can't right now.  I have enough stuff to watchover and move without adding anything to it. 

So I guess that was my way of venting all of my pent up desires.  Usually by now my windows would be full of seeds snug in there little egg carton beds.   

Offline patches

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2008, 03:27:17 AM »
I haven't gotten one from Michigan Bulbs yet, but I did get one from Gurney's the other day. ;)  With classes starting this week, I haven't had a chance to look through it, but hope to get to it this weekend.   :wink5:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

christy

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2008, 11:44:11 PM »
iv orderd through them for years, somethings do great n some dont,  ive had better luck than bad n most people will blaim the company before themselfs if a plant dont make it.  i know a few of my plants that i orderd through them died because of somthing i did n not the plant.
my best roses that grow are all from michigan bulb  :ThumbUp:

i just orderd the chochlate cosmos n 3 in 1 butterflybushes.  :grinnnn: me n a friend went halfs on the order pluse the 20 bucks off  :Yahoo:

ill be ordering from van bourgondien next for the mouse plant. they have flowers ya dont see often elsewere. there website is dutchbulbs.com
http://www.dutchbulbs.com/

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2008, 06:41:08 AM »
Thanks for the information Christy.  I was talking more about the orders getting messed up than the plants dying.  Although I know that many nurseries have a guarentee on their plants.  And thankyou for the link to the other company.

christy

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:24:31 AM »
oops  :Blush:  :giggle:  i never had them mix up my order  :ThumbUp:  if their outta stock they just give me a refund check in the mail,

Offline patches

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2008, 02:32:12 AM »
Hey, Duh, I was just going through my garden journal to make some updates before spring gets here.  I was checking my section on bulbs and noticed that my notes about Michigan Bulb are less than favorable.  :yikes:  Evidently, I had ordered several things from them over the course of a few years, until I finally got tired of wasting my money.
The reason I went with them in first place was that they had several different types of pink and white daffodils, so I persisted for a few years.  :SlapSelf:  Some of my notes claim the bulbs were very small, some had mold on them, some didn't come up and the quality was inferior to what I could buy here.  I had a lot of trouble trying to get them replaced and was sent different bulbs I didn't even want.  :smileyNo: Long story short, the only pink and white daffodils I have in my yard are the ones I grew from some bulbs I bought around here.   ;)  Of course, I don't have the variety I would like, but at least I have flowers, which is better than NO flowers for my money.  :SmileyFit:
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008, 02:35:09 AM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

christy

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2008, 08:43:58 AM »
yiles patti sounds like ya didnt have much luck.
i still have a refund check from michiganbulb for pink daffs that were outta stock last year. i bought wallmarts n they all came up orange ish yellow  :Wacko:  i wonder if brecks would be better for pink daffs?  i bought alliums from them before n the bulbs were so nice, big n healthy

Offline patches

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:31:59 PM »
Actually, Christy, I've pretty much given up on ordering any type of plants or bulbs from the catalogs.  They offer all kinds of special deals, but by the time you get done with the shipping and handling you haven't really saved that much.  :smileyNo:  I like seeing what I'm buying and if there's ever a problem it's resolved immediately because they like to keep their customers happy!  ;)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:49:49 AM »
Breck's bulbs are fantastic.  Yes you pay a premium but you do get what you have paid for and the very first quality.  I have no problem buying from brecks when I can afford it.  I've never had to return anything and the 25.00 dollars off on a 50.00 dollar order makes it just about tolerable.

If you have your heart set on something they are definitely the place to go.  I try to save up all year for that order.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal