Author Topic: My Little Puddle  (Read 20475 times)

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
Re: My Little Puddle
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2007, 11:36:30 AM »
 ;D   Looks great!!!

christy

« Reply #51 on: Sep 08, 2007, 10:38:48 PM »
 :Wow: all your ponds look great!  dianna do you have updated pics on how your ponds comming along? i love the chairs around it

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #52 on: Mar 28, 2008, 10:03:23 PM »
I have been working on the little puddle for the past two weeks. Oh, my aching back! :( I am still not through with it, but have made lots of progress. I have been rethinking my plans for it.

Remember that I had just started working on the pond area again last year before I fell and hurt my foot? I was putting down the black "cardboard" as a weed barrier...

This is a picture of how it looked after a year of neglect while waiting on my foot to heal:

I have been slowly, but surely removing weeds from one spot at a time, after Jim dug up the zebra grass for me...

I have accomplished more than this little spot since I started a couple of weeks ago. I am hoping that I will be able to finish up this weekend. After pulling weeds for fifteen minute stretches, my back doesn't want to straighten up, so it is taking me a while to get it done. ::) I am sure, though, that once finished, I won't have to go through this many weeds again to whip it back into shape every Spring... :grinnnn:
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2008, 10:10:57 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tonya

« Reply #53 on: Mar 29, 2008, 12:23:29 AM »
Looking good there, Dianna! All that work will pay off and You can sit back and have a margarita and watch Sampson and Delilah! :ThumbUp:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #54 on: Mar 29, 2008, 09:46:20 AM »
Looks great and i like the bench and chairs that you have beack there.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #55 on: Mar 29, 2008, 01:41:18 PM »
Dianna, it looks awesome with what you have accomplished so far.  Once you get the mulch down, the weeds will not be near as bad next year.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #56 on: Apr 28, 2008, 05:00:02 PM »
I love the ponds.  The only problems I'm currently worried about with getting one is running a pump 24/7.  Is it expensive?  Also my friend put in a pond and now has frogs croaking all the time.  I'm hyper sensitive to noise and I'm not sure how I would do in that situation.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2008, 02:31:56 PM »
I don't think it is that expensive, Duh. It is well worth the money to have that focal point in the yard...

I have been finding lots of frogs outside since I have been working around the pond. I don't hear them at night, though, because we run an electric fan when we sleep, along with the a/c.

Remember when my pond garden looked like this at the first of May? All photos are clickable...

Now it looks like this:

I have dug out the pathway to the gazebo and the pond, too...

I still have a long way to go, but at least most of the weeds are dug out now... :Yahoo:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:34:49 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2008, 02:35:01 PM »
Wow! thats alot of work.  Good job!

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Patty S

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2008, 11:52:26 PM »
:Wow:  You really HAVE done a lot out there! :yesssss:  How hard is it going to be, to keep it looking that way?

I just love that gazebo. :Glee:  Do you have flowers planted out there?  With all that area to maintain, if it were mine, I'd plant some stuff that stays in bloom all season... like Four O'clocks , Dianthus, Calendula/Coreopsis, etc.  I had those here & there around the yard last year, & they didn't require any maintenance at all, other than watering.  (My Dianthus, Calendula & Coreopsis never really died back during the winter, although they got sorta crappy looking for a while... but they all perked right up a couple weeks ago & are flourishing, something fierce, already this year!) :clap:  If you have any luck with Clematis or Honeysuckle, such climbers might look really cool on the verticle posts of the gazebo.

Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:54:09 PM by Patty S »

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2008, 08:24:40 AM »
That looks so pretty Dianna......you have been a busy gal havent you!!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2008, 10:46:28 AM »
Thank you, Wrennie, Patty, and Penny...

Patty, I have been thinking morning glories for the gazebo. I would love to see it covered with the blossoms. Four o'clocks are another shrub that I have been thinking about, too. I love the smell and I am sure the fish would, too.... :giggle:

If you look closedly at the gazebo, you can see that we have 20 bags of mulch out there, stacked and waiting to be put down. I am sure it will take at least that many more. I am at the designing phase right now, to get rid of all the straight lines and make it easier for mowing around and making room for Baby Huey to grow. Still gotta figure out exactly where I want him. I don't want him blocking my view of the pond from the gazebo or the deck.

I plan on laying cardboard/newspaper down to keep the weeds from coming back up through the mulch. What weeds that make it through should be easy to pull out. I did newspaper the time before last and it really made them easy to pull in the spots where I had it.

In front of the pond area, you should see an orange circle outlined. That is where our new pool will be going. I will be landscaping around that, too... :grinnnn:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »
My goodness Dianna, that is amazing!  What a difference and all of that hard work of yours is beautiful.  Are you planning on a bunch of plants as well are looking more for the clean lines look of just the mulched pathways?

I can see a trellis of clematis up the side of the shed oh and so many other possibilities.  What fun!!!

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2008, 05:46:47 PM »
You sure have been a busy, busy girl, Dianna. It is looking AWESOME!  :applause:

I love some of the ideas mentioned here. Morning glories would look great, and come in so many colors...there is even one that is solid white and opens at night. It's called moon flower, because the flowers look like they are glowing in the moonlight. You could mix it in, too. :grinnnn:

I thought I saw the orange outline on the grass, but then when I looked again I wasn't so sure it wasn't just my eyes messing with me. :laughmao:

Huey is going to love it out there! :yay_jump:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #64 on: Jun 16, 2008, 10:02:47 PM »
Triss, I don't think Jim will let me put a trellis attached to his ham shack. :grinnnn: He did allow me to have a birdfeeder put there, though, after some pouting... :giggle:

Sarah, I am sad that I have to report that Baby Huey didn't make it while I was gone to Florida. :crying: I was so hoping that he would perk up and be bigger than the gazebo when I got back... :(

I have to get started back out there sometime this week. The weeds took advantage of my vacation and decided to flourish. I really need to go ahead and mulch it. I may start in the morning since I am trying to nourish the weeds in the front bed so they will grow and will be easier to grab when I yank them out... :giggle: (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!)

I bought some more pony tail grass this past weekend. Now I am trying to decide if they will be in pots around the pool or in the ground out there by the pond. :SmileyQmarks: I may need to buy more to "tie" it all in together... :grinnnn:

I am so glad that I didn't have the mulch down on the path when the pool guys came. We would have had it everywhere but in the path, though they were careful with what they were doing. I really need to move that pile of dirt out from behind the gazebo, though. With 90* temperatures, I don't think it is going to hurt for it to sit for awhile.... :BigGrin:

My plan now is to get the pond weeded and mulched before the weekend. I was going to get some wheat straw to mulch the pond, but decided that I would like to try the cedar mulch. I have heard that it is good about getting rid of spiders. With all the black widows we find out there, cedar it will be.... :applause:
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2008, 07:16:01 PM by Dianna »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #65 on: Jun 16, 2008, 11:31:59 PM »
Then you will have to put up a free standing trellis.  Two posts sunk in the ground with a lattice between them.   Cedar mulch is so nice to smell... I really like mine and will be adding more on my lil pathway though it is not easy on the feet if you are in the habit of walking barefoot like I am.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #66 on: Jul 30, 2008, 10:29:11 AM »
Thought I would post a few pictures of what the pond area looks like now, after Megan coming down to help last weekend and yesterday. She plans on coming back this coming weekend to help me finish up with the weeding/mulching, and then I can start adding my plants and flowers to it...

The smallest pond is the newest one. I thought that with the bridge between them, it would make the ponds look like one larger pond... :wink5:

I have to get my elephant ears dug up and moved. I am thinking about placing them along the wall of Jim's ham shack to sort of hide it... :giggle:

I have some canna lilies in the front bed that I am going to put out there somewhere, too.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #67 on: Jul 30, 2008, 01:04:37 PM »
Dianna, that looks so awesome!  I love the double ponds!  They really do look like one large one.  You have done an awesome job out there!

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #68 on: Jul 30, 2008, 06:23:48 PM »
Great job, Dianne. It looks plum pretty.
This is me ->?

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #69 on: Sep 10, 2008, 12:50:21 PM »
How is it looking now at the end of summer?
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #70 on: Sep 19, 2008, 07:13:21 PM »
I meant to get a picture of the puddle area today, and forgot, Sarah. ::) I will try to do so soon.

I need to move the ponytail grass out there and get it out of my side flower bed. The elephant ears that I transplanted look great. They are really getting big... :grinnnn:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #71 on: Oct 07, 2008, 05:17:31 PM »
Here are some pictures of what the pond area looks like now. Still have to get my plants transplanted out there, but I am pleased with how it is looking so far... :grinnnn:

I hope to be posting some pictures tomorrow after I get everything transplanted out there...

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #72 on: Oct 07, 2008, 09:31:38 PM »
It looks so nice Dianna. 

Offline Tonya

« Reply #73 on: Oct 08, 2008, 08:11:52 AM »
Looks so relaxing!! I wish Doug would finish up my pond. **sigh** I need to get some flower beds in- I've been saying that for over a year, tho....

Anyhoo~ Looks awesome, Dianna!! Ya done good! :ThumbUp:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #74 on: Oct 09, 2008, 07:49:33 AM »
Thanks, Triss and Tonya. :grinnnn:

I didn't get to work at the pond yesterday. It drizzled all day long and today is going to be more of the same. I am enjoying the gentle rainfall, though, so no complaints from here... :grinnnn:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal