Author Topic: Strawberries this time of year?  (Read 11150 times)

Offline patches

Re: Strawberries this time of year?
« Reply #50 on: Jul 23, 2007, 12:32:26 AM »
Sarah, Patty told me about the alfalfa pellets but said they were in a bag too heavy for her to lift so it must be pretty big.  :yikes: If I could find some in smaller quantities it would be great to try.  My problem is finding a place to store it where it won't attract mice.  I have to put everything in my garage and stuff like that tends to draw mice if it's there for any length of time.  >:( 

Dianna, evidently, I've solved the problem with the squirrels and the rabbits, but I still don't have any strawberries :crying:, just beautiful plants.  :laughmao: Last week, when I was out talking to a neighbor and looked over at the bed and there were two rabbits going around the bed and looking in at the plants.  I guess they were trying to figure out what was wrong and why they couldn't get in there.  :unsure: It was kinda funny to watch.  :rofl1:
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2007, 12:41:45 AM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Patty S

« Reply #51 on: Jul 23, 2007, 01:03:35 AM »
Patti, my alfalfa bag is still in the trunk of my car, cuz I dont want the mice from the field coming back up here & making a mess in my garden shed again, like they did when they got into my grass seed! (I gave the rest of it to Peggy, cuz my lawn is already in, so I don't have any use for it anyway.)

I know that mice can sniff that sort of thing out, no matter where it is, so I have 5 gallon buckets from when Keith resealed the asphault in our driveway, that am going to put the feed in... It's on my "2 do" list.

Suggestions:
  • Ask your friends if they use the powdered laundry soap that comes in those 5 gallon buckets... maybe they throw them away. 
  • Check with restaurants & fast food places. Lots of their stuff comes in buckets that they toss out.
  • If those don't net you some "critter proof containers", go buy a big plastic tote (at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot etc.) We used to buy cat food in big bags & kept it in a big tote... but we put tape over the vent holes (under the handles) to keep the freshness in & the rhodents out. A metal or plastic garbage can would also work.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2007, 01:09:17 AM by Patty S »

Offline patches

« Reply #52 on: Jul 23, 2007, 08:01:49 AM »
go buy a big plastic tote (at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot etc.) We used to buy cat food in big bags & kept it in a big tote... but we put tape over the vent holes (under the handles) to keep the freshness in & the rhodents out. A metal or plastic garbage can would also work. 

Patty, plastic is out of the question because the mice will just chew right through it.  I had a nice Rubbermaid trash can on wheels for my grass seed and they chewed a hole in the side of it.  :tickedoff: Mice can be pretty determined critters.  :mad2: Now, I store all my bird seed, squirrel chow, and grass seed in the metal trash cans.  Patty, I only have a one-car garage, so I really don't have room to put any more trash cans, unless I get rid of some of my gardening equipment  :cringe: and that is NOT an option.     
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Patty S

« Reply #53 on: Jul 23, 2007, 11:16:46 AM »

I'm not real big on using plant food on any of my plants, especially on anything I'm going to eat...
...I have too many animals to use many chemicals...
I applied the 10-10-10 when I planted them...

You didn't mention what your 10-10-10 fertilizer was, but I'm not aware of any plant foods/fertilizers being harmful to critters or people. I guess if you don't want to put "chemicals" in your garden & don't have room for alfalfa pellets, you're simply going to have to be satisfied knowing that you've done all you can do cuz they're in good soil, & settle for having pretty strawberry plants without fruit, until they decide on their own, to act like strawberry plants!

Good luck!

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #54 on: Jul 23, 2007, 11:47:56 AM »
I store most of mine in metal cans.

The bags are 50#...remember, it's used primarily as feed for large animals, so big quanities are used. One bag covers my front beds and one side bed. I buys 5 bags at a time, and once my backyard beds are in I will use way more than that.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2008, 06:25:14 PM by barleychown »
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline patches

« Reply #55 on: Jul 23, 2007, 12:37:13 PM »
Okay, Sarah, I called a friend and she knows someone who has horses, so she can get me some alfalfa pellets in smaller quantities.  So I need to know how you do this.  :wink5: How much would I need for a 4' x 8' bed?  :dunno: How often do you use them and how do you apply them?  :unsure: Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really green with this concept.   :(

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #56 on: Jul 23, 2007, 12:55:02 PM »
Oh, how great for you!  :grinnnn:

I spread them much like you would imagine someone flinging chicken feed...scatter away.  Start with a five gallon bucket. Spread them over the whole bed, the idea is to "feed" your soil so your soil can feed your plants.

Once you scatter them you will need to water them in, which will break down the outer coating of the pellet, and the alfalfa will swell into a long, odd looking pile...have no fear, it will water into the soil within the week, or you can lightly scratch it into the top inch of dirt, if you would rather not wait.

Don't be sorry for asking questions...we all have to learn somehow!  :ThumbUp:

Once you can no longer see any alfalfa, add more. I use it lightly about every two weeks in the summer, then more in the late winter/early spring.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline patches

« Reply #57 on: Jul 23, 2007, 01:57:24 PM »
Thanks a bunch, Sarah!  Geesh, that really sounds easy enough so I think I can manage it.  :laughmao: I probably won't be able to get the pellets until after Thursday because my friend is going to her sister's for a few days. 

Offline Patty S

« Reply #58 on: Aug 10, 2007, 04:09:06 PM »
Patti, how are your strawberries doing with the extreme heat you've had there? When it gets above 90° here I have to water mine 2 or 3 times a day. I've never had a problem with them when it's really hot (other than keeping them watered in my towers & planters, cuz they dry out faster. We also have no humidity to speak of, here).

Did you ever get some alfalfa pellets for your gardens?

(I can't find your strawberry thread! :unsure: Where the heck is it?) :ScratchHead:

Offline patches

« Reply #59 on: Aug 10, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
Patty, my strawberry plants are looking really awesome,  :ThumbUp: because I've been keeping well-watered and I've mulched around the plants.  ;) Unfortunately, there are still NO flowers on these beautiiful plants.  :SmileyFit: I'm thinking maybe I should just quit cutting off the runners and start some more plants, that way I'll have some to put in hanging baskets next year.   :idea:

Yes, Patty, I was able to get the alfalfa pellets and it looks like 100 dogs have visited my gardens.  :yikes: :rofl1:

Geesh, I don't know where the strawberry thread is!!!   :ScratchHead: :unsure:

Offline patches

« Reply #60 on: Aug 10, 2007, 05:01:23 PM »
Hey Patty, is this the thread you were looking for???   :ScratchHead:   :unsure:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal