Author Topic: Gunnera manicata  (Read 11043 times)

Offline notherdigger

Re: Gunnera manicata
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 11:24:18 PM »
LOL Barleychown, I just paid more attention to my quote in your previous post.  I meant to find a gunnera to buy.  But I was indeed interested in how you made your bog.  Guess one could figure how to do it fairly easy but I always like to get tips from the people who are doing good with their projects and that made it easy for me.  I think I can do that with what I have around here.  And a little digging then get a gunnera.  I might order one after some research on the net.
     Hey by the way, how bout that big nursery/seed place in cottage grove?  I forgot the name,Nichols?, is the one there pretty good?  I wanted to stop there a couple times but never got the chance.  Just curious.  I'm a catalog/nursery freak by the way. LOL  Keep us posted on your bog/pond successes.  And you too Dianna, looking good there on the gunnera front.  Have you ever grown the purple elephant ear Barleychown?  It get really large as well but I've never had one of those either yet.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 10:26:43 AM »
Sarah, I have been working on a new home for Baby Huey. I was wondering, though, how big an area he will most likely be needing? :dunno: I am placing him out by my puddle, but I want to make sure that he doesn't put his feet in it. :grinnnn: Do his legs go straight down or will they run across? :SmileyQmarks:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »
     Hey by the way, how bout that big nursery/seed place in cottage grove?  I forgot the name,Nichols?, is the one there pretty good?  I wanted to stop there a couple times but never got the chance. 

Have you ever grown the purple elephant ear Barleychown?  It get really large as well but I've never had one of those either yet.

It's Territorial Seed, and the retail shop is great! Most of what is in the catalog you can walk in and buy, and they take the seeds they sell, and grow starts of them, as well...good way to get a jump on the season, should you not start seeds yourself.

I had a purple one once, but it didn't make it through our winter, despite heavy protection. I'm sure I will try one again in the future! :BigGrin:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 01:48:31 PM »
Sarah, I have been working on a new home for Baby Huey. I was wondering, though, how big an area he will most likely be needing? :dunno: I am placing him out by my puddle, but I want to make sure that he doesn't put his feet in it. :grinnnn: Do his legs go straight down or will they run across? :SmileyQmarks:

Dianna, I seem to remember reading that the roots do both, but they are not destructive like, say, bamboo.  I gave mine a 10' by 10' spot, and while he looked silly in such a big spot last year, he's sure off to a good start this year! I did plant a few annuals around him in the bog last year to fill some empty space.

Here's a recent photo of mine, again with a duck for size comparison:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 02:02:25 PM by barleychown »

Offline notherdigger

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 10:13:30 PM »
    Yes I looked at my catalogs later and saw it was Territorial seed and its a good supplier but some day I'd like to visit their store.  They have good products, and lots ofopen pollinated seed.  The gunnera looks like its off to a good start.  Have a good day.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 03:37:08 PM »
I was out poking around in the gardens, and decided to take some pics of my gunnera today...

The bog is waking up from it's winter nap.

And, Mr.Big is looking good...

He's even developing the cone/bloom!  :yay_jump:

Offline Patty S

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 10:46:19 PM »
Looking good, Sarah! :clap:  Are those Siberian Iris you have there?  What are the little orange flowers? 

What ever became of the yellow Iris I brought to you, from the irrigation ditch near Dave's house, when you were first starting your landscaping?  If I remember right, the creek flooded, big time, the next spring, so I'm wondering if they got washed away. :dunno:

Offline patches

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 11:53:55 PM »
Hey, Sarah, your bog is really looking beautiful.  :Wow:  I love the purple and yellow combination!   :yesssss:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Patty S

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 11:59:47 PM »
We paid Sarah a visit today & saw the Gunnera up close.  It's HUGE, but I understand that it gets even bigger! :yikes:  (Lily wasn't impressed though.) :giggle:

I hafta throw in a pic of my Lil Garden Girl when I can, you know!    :Whis:

It has to be the strangest plant I've ever seen! :Wacko:  Take a look....

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 12:53:08 PM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »
Sarah, your gunnera looks so healthy. Sure wish I could report that Baby Huey did, too... :(

About the time that I noticed the mystery plant sharing his bucket, Huey started a wilting thing. It has been downhill since then...

This is when the mystery was still in the pot with him. I have given the other plant its' own pot now:

This is what Baby Huey looks like now:

I am going to dig him a new home out by the pond this evening, finished or not, and put him in it. I am hoping that it will give him a fighting chance to make it through whatever is going on with him. Have you got any suggestions for me? :eek:

Patty, I am glad Lil' wasn't impressed with the gunnera. If she had stayed too close to it, she might have gotten lost and never to be found again.... :giggle:

"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2008, 10:44:29 AM »
Gosh, Dianna! I'm sorry Huey isn't feeling well.  :(

Judging from the last pic, with the crispy brown leaves, I would have to guess that he's either getting too much sun, or too much wind, or both. His soil looks nice and wet, so dryness shouldn't be the issue.

My gunnera is in a spot where the fence blocks most of the wind from really whipping around him, and he gets filtered afternoon sun, then shade in the late afternoon.

I hope he comes around for you!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2008, 01:52:44 PM »
I planted Baby Huey in his forever home yesterday evening, Sarah. I think I figured out what the problem was. He appeared to be root bound again. :o I am hoping that going ahead and planting him will help him perk right back up.When I put him in his new home, I added some compost to the soil and then I gave him his jug of special food. I feel sure that he will make it now... :pray:

He was in a protected area on the deck that met the conditions that you described, so I am sure that that wasn't what his problem was. I almost blamed it on the other plant for trying to hog up his house... :giggle:

Keep your fingers crossed for him! :Halo:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #37 on: Jun 18, 2008, 10:38:29 AM »
I am sad to report that Baby Huey didn't make it... :crying:

I'm sorry, Sarah... :Crybaby:

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2009, 10:00:48 PM »
Dianna, I think we have all lost more than our fair share of plants. No need to appologize to me!

AAaaaaannnnnddddd....TAADAA!

Mr. Big made it through another winter. He looks like he's going to be HUGE this year!  :BigGrin:

I forgot to throw a duck in for size comparison.  :giggle:

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: Sep 17, 2009, 03:12:23 PM »
end of summer pics? please??
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #40 on: Sep 17, 2009, 03:17:33 PM »
You bet.  :BigGrin:  

He made three cones this year...

And for leaf size...

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2009, 03:36:48 PM by barleychown »

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #41 on: Sep 17, 2009, 04:04:03 PM »
That's a monster plant!
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #42 on: Sep 17, 2009, 08:44:56 PM »
wow!  thank you for the pics.  i really like that plant, and one day... when i get the large pond/small lake built at the back of my property, i think i'll get one!  (2-3 years from now... hehe)
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #43 on: Sep 17, 2009, 08:56:49 PM »
That's a nice plant. I know when Dianne lost hers she was upset.
This is me ->?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal