Author Topic: Food Being Rationed In The US?  (Read 4839 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Food Being Rationed In The US?
« on: Apr 23, 2008, 04:30:49 PM »
Andy (notherdigger) and I were chatting in the chat room earlier today and he mentioned something about rice being rationed. Since I hadn't heard the news, I thought I would google and see what I could find out. Imagine my surprise when I found that not only rice was being rationed in some parts of the country, but flour and cooking oil were, too. :o

You can read the story from the New York Sun here.

Scary thought, isn't it? Guess I'd better start buying larger bags. I can't do without my rice. This country girl was raised on it! :grinnnn:

Thanks for the head's-up, Andy.... :)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Food Being Rationed In The US?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2008, 05:49:40 PM »
That is really bad, Dianna. I haven't seen it in my Calif. stores, yet. But I mainly just shop at a local chain.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2008, 07:36:49 PM »
Darnies, I guess we will have to start growing rice. My ditch is wet enough for a rice patty. lol
This is me ->?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2008, 08:47:25 PM »
And California produces the most rice in the US, too. How odd. I wonder what the gas prices are in Alaska?
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2008, 09:35:24 PM »
Getting scarier....

Maybe I don't need to be googling.... :o

Six acres of ours could probably be planted in rice. Wonder how many skeeters would love that? ::)
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2008, 09:39:05 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2008, 09:54:38 PM »
That is very scary, I know I will be buying a lil extra just to be safe, my kids live on that stuff.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline patches

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2008, 10:40:16 PM »
Geesh, I can't do without my rice either!   :smileyNo:  Now, I have to wonder what's going to be next?   :ScratchHead:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2008, 06:15:40 AM »
Watching the news this morning, the reporters were stating that a lot of this rationing is just paranoia because of media hype. The rising costs of fuel are speculated to be the cause of the situation. Seems like farmers are raising more corn for ethanol gas and skimping on the food crops because they don't pay as well..... :(

I find all of this very interesting and am wondering just how much all of this is going to affect the grocery stores. :unsure: Prices are sky high on everything already, it seems...

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2008, 11:00:37 AM »
They sure are.  I figure I am not gonna go crazy but I sure am going to make sure I always have a couple of extra bags on hand just in case something crazy happens.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline patches

« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2008, 11:39:27 AM »
Between the high gas prices, rising food prices and now something else to worry about, is it ever going to end.   :ScratchHead: 
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2008, 06:47:06 AM »
Welcome to resession and the leveling of the world economic condition.  Sorry that was rather trite but this has been comming for a long time.  My mom and dad always kept a pantry full of stuff for immergencies and my church also recommends at aleast a 3 month supply of staples for each person in the family. 

Our local news said that wholesale stores like costco were limiting rice to 40 lbs.  That's a years supply for me so no worries here. 

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »
Watching the news this morning, the reporters were stating that a lot of this rationing is just paranoia because of media hype. The rising costs of fuel are speculated to be the cause of the situation. Seems like farmers are raising more corn for ethanol gas and skimping on the food crops because they don't pay as well..... :(

I find all of this very interesting and am wondering just how much all of this is going to affect the grocery stores. :unsure: Prices are sky high on everything already, it seems...

In KS ethanol is really a big profit maker.  There are a lot of companies begging to put in ethanol plants but a lot of groups are opposing it because "we need our farmers to make wheat."  The thing is, if everyone starts planting corn it will cause the price of corn to fall and create a shortage in the wheat market which will cause the price of wheat to increase.  Therefore the wishy-washy corn farmers who were trying to make a few quick bucks will switch back over to wheat because that is where the money will be.  Last year the Mexicans in Mexico City were protesting because the cost of corn had quadrupled in under a year! 

I'm not too alarmed because we don't eat much rice and I also keep a stockpile of flour in the deep freeze.  It sits half-empty way to often.  I also had noticed that when I bought flour last week it was 1.79 for the off-brand walmart variety which is down .20 from 2 weeks prior.  Then again, I live in (literally) The Wheat State, so wheat isn't much of an issue.

Offline patches

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2008, 03:28:04 AM »
Well, I was at Wal-Mart today and didn't have any problem buying rice, :smileyNo: but there were a lot of people who were really stocking up.  :laughmao:  Geesh, it's just like when they're predicting a snow storm and the stores gets busier than they do for the holidays.  :rofl1: 
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2008, 07:45:13 PM by Patty S »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal