Author Topic: Indoor Grotto  (Read 3781 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Indoor Grotto
« on: Jun 17, 2008, 05:06:46 AM »
my livingroom has a 56 by 70 inch blank space.  It sits off to one side of the breakfast nook and just doesn't have a purpose.  So I was thinking that a water feature might do really well there.  But I need ideas.  Lots of ideas.  I have never tried to create an indoor plantscape before.  So this is going to be a new one on me.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Indoor Grotto
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2008, 09:45:37 PM »
Oh that sounds like a lot of fun.  What kind of light do you have there and what types of plants are you thinking of?

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2008, 09:02:04 AM »
I'll have to add light.  I'm thinking about the battery operated 18 inch florescents strategically placed throughout the planting area.

For a back drop I'm thinking bamboo.
Hanging from the ceiling some vines not sure what kind.
Japanese Painted Ferns to cover the floor and pool sides so they don't show.
Definitely the Dragonwing Begonias and the orchids.
Moss and lichen to cover the fake rocks.  I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to do those but I'll think of something.
Possible a water hycinth and a couple of carp for the pond.  I'd do a lotus but they won't stand for moving water.

I need suggests for shade plants that like hi humidity and that don't need a cold season. 

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2008, 11:25:31 AM »
Well pothos and wandering jew would be great hanging plants and will both grow large enough in minimal light to help hide things and make for a nice overhang to the bamboo.  The wandering jew will give you a nice bit of color as well.  Also Scheffelera would be a nice addition for height from the floor up and makes a nice canopy.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2008, 01:05:24 AM »
I can do one of those indoor palms too.  I've seen them in other places.  Cool.  Great suggestions Triss.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal