Author Topic: Triss' Garden Stuff  (Read 9294 times)

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Triss' Garden Stuff
« Reply #75 on: Jul 07, 2008, 11:29:10 AM »
I will only be taking a couple of rocks.  One that I know is from Nebraska and the one that Patrick got me from Utah which is actually a stepping stone.  I may take one from here as well just so I have a set :grinnnn:  but no, for the most part everything stays.  I will take some of each of the daylillies, and a few of the other whole plants but not so much that it would make the garden look bare... and the bark stays!  I just want to take enough of my favorites that I can get them going again at the new place... that is assuming I can find us a new and bigger place... they sure are hard to come by here.  I am patient though and gonna wait for the right one.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #76 on: Aug 12, 2008, 03:27:39 PM »
Patty,  Just for you a picture from today of my california poppies that are blooming in the garden right now.  The flowers are actually orange but I could not get the color to come out right today.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #77 on: Aug 12, 2008, 09:15:28 PM »
Very pretty flowers, Triss. :ThumbUp:

Isn't it frustrating when we can't get our flowers to show their true colors with our cameras?
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

« Reply #78 on: Aug 12, 2008, 09:27:40 PM »
Right on, Triss! Thats a California Poppy, sure enough! :ThumbUp:

They're a pain in the patoot around here, but I've managed to keep them under control this year, for the most part... I let 'em bloom, then when they start making seed pods, I yank 'em out. The smaller (younger) ones have looked nice, scattered around on the hill where I have the Ice Plant growing.  They have a tap root, so if were in a spot this spring where I wanted them to come back up & bloom again before the end of the growing season, I just broke the plant off at ground level & didn't bother the tap root.  The Ice Plant will keep blooming until late in the fall, & so will the California Poppies.

Are those Buttercups, at the top of the pic? I see that mine are blooming again now, too.  I didn't know they'd do that, cuz I don't remember them coming back late in the summer last year. (I don't know what else is growing with them there, but they're nice looking plants.  hope it's not a weed!) :wink5:

I'm sure happy that you've enjoyed your gardens so much this year.  Your hard work really has paid off! :clap:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #79 on: Aug 13, 2008, 12:02:06 PM »
I pulled out most of the buttercup once it bloomed as it was in the way of the path.  Some of it is coming back now which is good but I have none in the area behind the wildflowers.  That is one of my new plants for this year, I will have to check the name when I go out and harvest seeds but I love it.  It has been blooming non-stop all season.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #80 on: Aug 13, 2008, 12:21:57 PM »
Ok, I got it... Sanvitalia or creeping zinnia.  That is the small yellow flowers behind the California poppies.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #81 on: Aug 25, 2008, 05:46:27 PM »
Well I got to work in the garden today.  The showers stayed pretty much away though I did feel a few sprinkles.  I worked on the last section of the garden, skipping the more difficult part in the middle which will wait for another day... and here is what I ended up with after only a minor mishap of cutting the internet/cable wire with the shovel.  Dan fixed that right up and I buried the cable, covered it with dirt, mulch and rocks to avoid cutting it again later.

I think I am planning on putting in a few lychnis in the open mulched space between the rocks and the wild flowers.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #82 on: Aug 25, 2008, 06:34:09 PM »
That's looking good, Triss. I love the rocks.
This is me ->?

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #83 on: Aug 25, 2008, 06:37:55 PM »
Thanks Bonnie, I really like the rocks too.  I have to go rock hunting though because I am out of them to edge the garden.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #84 on: Aug 26, 2008, 06:30:23 AM »
Rocks are one thiing I've definitely got! That looks really nice Triss. My CA poppies have buds! yay.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #85 on: Aug 26, 2008, 11:28:04 AM »
That is awesome Wrennie!  I would ask you to send me rocks but that would get a bit expensive.  The kids will enjoy a trip to the foothills where we can get a bunch of them.

Oh and I thought of an idea to get the strawberries out of my flower garden, I want to attach a bunch of 4 inch pots to a piece of plywood, and then lean that up against the house.  I am hoping the effect will be a wall of strawberry plants that are all off the ground.  Do you all think that would work?  It would free up a 3x4 foot section of my garden for flowers.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #86 on: Aug 26, 2008, 11:49:02 AM »
It might. hmm.... or you could make a 'trough' the length you want instead of a bunch of pots.  Kinda' like a flower box but long and skinny.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #87 on: Aug 26, 2008, 03:35:52 PM »
That might work too but I do not have a long trough like planter and I do have a million and a half (or so it seems) 4 inch pots.  I think I may work on that this afternoon and see if I can get it to look like I want.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #88 on: Aug 29, 2008, 08:01:40 AM »
Looks great Triss!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal