Gardening > Posies

Killer Wisteria

(1/3) > >>

Dianna:
Though I believe the wisteria will end up eating the South alive, if kudzu doesn't do it first, the wisteria sure is pretty around here...

We saw several trees along the road covered in wisteria on our way home from shopping yesterday...

plants n pots:
WOW Dianna!!!
Did it smell heavenly there?
There's only one small patch of wisteria anywhere near where I live - last year I took a few cuttings - it's on the side of a road in an entrance to a sports club -, but they didn't root for me.  I had forgotten about it, so thanks for the timely reminder!  It's not quite time for them to bloom here, but I'll have to keep my eye out, as I don't usually go down that road.

Jim:
It sure is pretty this time of year, but the damage it does to the other trees is terrible.  This stuff gets started and other than pulling it out by the roots, you can't get rid of it.  It's not quite as bad as bamboo but it's close.  Dianna was right in that it closely resembles the characteristics of kudzu.  If we had some it would have to be kept in a pot.

The back boundary of our land backs up to some sustainable forest that belongs to International Paper.  We have not seen any Wisteria there yet, but on a road that borders this property there are a number of trees that didn't have it last year and they are covered this year.  We'll be watching to see where it goes.

Tina:
Pulling up by the roots will only work if you get ALL of the roots. And the stuff seeds like crazy too. I planted some on purpose here and then moved it when it tried to choke out some trees. I keep on moving more and more of it now.

Patty S:
Reading this makes me wonder if I should carry out what I'm planning....

Someone told me that they cut their Wisteria back & keep it as a hedge, so I wanted to try that too. I need something to deter the deer from one part of my slope above the Iris, where it's real peaty. (Long story how it got to be that way.) I have Periwinkle & Basket of Gold started on the slope right now, hoping the roots will hold the soil, but when the deer go up & down that part, they get the dirt sliding down where it keeps burying my Iris rhizomes. 

I have some Wisteria plants that I started from seeds a couple months ago, but if I use them to start a hedge, will new plants form along the roots & get out of hand, or will chopping them out as they emerge control them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version