Author Topic: Plants For Sale  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Plants For Sale
« on: Oct 12, 2008, 07:59:48 PM »
Aunt Bonnie and I have been doing some cuttings and seed saving so that we can get some plants ready to sell for Spring. I have been saving all kinds of containers and am running out of room to put them. My poor sun room is so hard to get into right now. ::)

I found the cutest little dessert cups to use as a pot for some African Violets that I am going to be putting into recycled applesauce containers. I am curious, though, as to when I should start my AV plants to have them ready for late Spring sales. Any ideas for me? What kind of prices should I expect to receive for them? We plan on renting a table at the flea market to sell our plants... :grinnnn:

I am wondering if we should pretty up the cuttings and such of the other plants we are growing? Do we put everything else in pretty pots or would most people rather choose their own?

Anyway, just thought I would try to get some ideas from all of you Thanks for any suggestions! :grinnnn:

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2008, 08:19:27 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
Re: Plants For Sale
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2008, 09:09:13 PM »
Great topic Dianne. We need all the helpful info that we can get. If any of you have any suggestions please let us know.
This is me ->?

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2008, 09:48:46 PM »
Well, if you start your AV's right now, and they are VERY happy clear through the winter, they could be ready by mother's day.

As for making other cuttings pretty, it would help to know the type. Are these indoor or outdoor?

When does the flea market start? Or which month are you aiming for?
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2008, 10:11:30 PM »
I will read through your African Violet tutorials before I start them, Sarah. I want them to be very, very happy... :grinnnn:

We have all kinds of plants that we will be potting up. I am not sure of all that Aunt Bonnie has, but I have a couple of hibiscus already rooted. I was planning on doing some brugs, but I am sure I won't have enough to plant for selling this year. I have some pothos and some philodendron. Planning on doing some Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas cacti and kalanchoe. I am hoping to wintersow some flower seeds to pot up. A little of this, some of that, you know how it is... :grinnnn:

We plan on having the sale in April or May. We don't want to freeze to death or roast while we are out in the sun.

Any ideas where we could get some cheap four inch hanging baskets? :ScratchHead:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2008, 07:25:30 AM »
Don't worry about pretty pots.  Unless your planning on selling them seperate from the plant.  As you will notice when you buy plants cheap is the major consideration.

The more mature the plant the more money you can ask for it in general.  Other than that as far as pricing goes the harder or more time consuming it is to grow a plant the more you can get for it.

As far as 4 inch hanging baskets go I'd just get plastic pots use a small drill to drill holes in three sides of the upper rim of the pot and then thread an "o" ring through them and then add cord.  Probably easier and cheaper than buying hanging pots.  Although you don't really need hanging pots for cuttings.  Unless you plan to hang them on your stall to increase the amount of space you have.

Good Luck with your project.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2008, 07:41:52 AM »
I'd just get plastic pots use a small drill to drill holes in three sides of the upper rim of the pot and then thread an "o" ring through them and then add cord.

That is a great idea, Tammy! I have lots of pots around here. Now why didn't I think of that? :SlapSelf:

We were thinking that if we sold little plants, that we could sell them cheaper and sell more. Personally, I would be apt to buy smaller plants at a discount than larger ones that cost a lot. Especially if I were trying a "new to me" plant and was afraid I would kill it... :giggle:

Thinking too that I could buy a lot more plants if I didn't spend all my money on just one... :BigGrin:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2008, 01:09:20 PM »
Sounds like a lot of fun.  I like the idea of the hanging planters for the pothos and philodendron, not only for the space at the booth but for the storage while you grow them.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2008, 10:31:01 PM »
I definitely agree.  I don't buy big pots either.  I'd just noticed that the big plants cost alot more.

Live plants and I don't do at all well together.  I kill more than survive with me, so expensive big plants just aren't on my list.

Ok here is the accountant coming out in me.  Don't forget to add the cost of the potting soil into your figuring when it comes to cost.  I find with growing seeds that's the most expensive part of getting any plant started.  Weird huh?

I hope you make a bundle!

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2008, 10:32:15 AM »
I have a bunch of spider plants that we could put in hanging baskets.
This is me ->?

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2008, 11:00:39 AM »
Common household plants, like spiders, pothos, philos, and AV's tug on people's memories. They remember mom or grandma having one, and want one, too.

Small pots are good, but do include a few medium or even large ones...there are impatient people on earth who would rather have a big plant NOW, plus, if I'm the one buying, and I can see an example of a big, healthy plant, I'm more likely to buy even one of the small ones.

As for potting soil...use good stuff, or learn to mix your own. I save oodles of money every year mixing my own, plus I know exactly what is in it, and can customize the mix to the plants I'm potting, or starting.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2008, 11:55:34 AM »
I save oodles of money every year mixing my own, plus I know exactly what is in it, and can customize the mix to the plants I'm potting, or starting.

Sounds like a good topic in the making, Sarah. :ThumbUp: Will you share your recipes for the mixes with us? :BigGrin:

Offline Peggy

« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2008, 01:29:25 AM »
that is just the cutest thing.. putting African violets in those desert cups! Way to go!

P.S. I don't know how old this topic is, I didn't look. But "plants for sale" caught my eye, and then the photo of the desert cups caught it more! I just think that is so cute!

:) Peg
How are you?  I'm great!  Glad to see you! Hope we meet again!

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2008, 09:18:14 AM »
Those are so cute, great idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal