Author Topic: When do fish die?  (Read 3910 times)

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
When do fish die?
« on: Jan 07, 2009, 11:31:09 PM »
I have a couple goldfish and some babies in my outdoor pond.  I dug it 3 feet deep.  We are keeping the pump running so that there is always a hole in it to let out the...carbon dioxide gas(?) that killed our fish last year.  Is this enough?  I do go out once a week or so and try to bust up all the ice... Last week, I had to use a hammer and chisel--the ice was over 4 inches thick!  The shallow end was completely frozen solid.  It's been warm the past week, so I've been breaking up the ice daily.  So far, the water doesn't stink and isn't tea colored. 

Also, the water keeps getting low, do you guys replace water or just let it evaporate down?

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: When do fish die?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2009, 12:05:51 AM »
It sounds like you are doing all the right things, Sarah. Keep it up, and your fish should be fine come spring.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2009, 01:41:16 AM »
I added ten gallons of water to my pond day before yesterday due to evaporation, Sarah Loo. I would think that if you added water as it was gone, it may help keep the shallow end from freezing so solid... :unsure:

"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tonya

« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2009, 07:52:20 AM »
I had a friend a few years ago that had a small pond in his back yard with I think 3 goldfish or Koi(can't remember which). We had a really COLD winter for us that year and his whole pond froze solid. He figured he would wait for it to thaw and get rid of his fish bodies. Well, it warmed up, the water thawed, and his fish were swimming :yikes: They froze in the water and everything.... That is insane!!

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2009, 11:19:29 AM »
That is CRAZY, Tonya!  My poor fish died last year and it never froze solid froze solid.  I'm hoping for better results this year.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep busting it up and the pump on!

Offline laura

« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2009, 01:38:01 PM »
I'd just like to add something to this topic.  My pond, which I will post a few pics of when I get the chance, freezes totally solid for the most part.  It got so cold that the pump wouldn't run...it would just freeze over and quit.  BUT, I always do this tip that I read about in a ponding book I got.  I float a few basketballs in it when it starts to get cold.  That way it can't freeze totally solid and there are always holes for the gases to escape.  I have never lost a fish over the winter though, no matter how cold it gets or how thick the pond freezes they are always there again in the spring.  Luckily.  Knocking on wood. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal