Author Topic: searing temperatures and fires in south east Australia  (Read 7843 times)

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
searing temperatures and fires in south east Australia
« on: Feb 07, 2009, 05:09:29 PM »
my home state of Victoria is burning.  Melbourne, the capital of the Australian state of Victoria had its highest temperature on record 46C (115F)... and the forests there, and in New South Wales are buring.

25 are dead, 100's of homes have been destroyed- a town that I spent many winters in, Marysville (about 100km NE of Melbourne) has been almost totally wiped off the map.  The historic city of Bendigo is surrounded by fire - this is where my aunt, uncle and cousins live.

6 died in a car trying to flee the fires just north of Melbourne.

People are saying that these fires are going to be as bad as the Ash Wednesday fire of 1983, where 72 perished and almost all of Victoria and part of South Australia burned (about 20 towns were wiped off the map).

These fires are being deliberately lit by faceless cowards.

I am concerned, as my parents and brother live in front of a large national forest, my aunt, uncle and cousins live on a farm outside of Bendigo....

Article
You can't miss me, I am the tall, cuddly giant with a maniacial physicist look on his face

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: searing temperatures and fires in south east Australia
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2009, 05:40:14 PM »
I will keep a prayer said for yours and others, Damien. I also live in a fire prone area snug up to national forest. Lost part of my gardens and blistered the paint on my house in '02.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline wimc

• wimcsh
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2009, 05:48:40 PM »
That is so saddening, praying all I can do. And I hope they catch the person(s) involved, real soon, punished to the fullest extent.

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2009, 05:51:49 PM »
I remember back in early 1988 - when I was 11 and living with my ma and pa in that same area, we had a major fire that caused damage and injury.

That forest will soon be replaced with a highway, but every year, some jerk lights a fire.

Having faced a wall of hell fire once before, I believe that no lenience should ever be afforded to these animals - they should burn themselves
You can't miss me, I am the tall, cuddly giant with a maniacial physicist look on his face

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but an update - and a not so nice one I am afraid - it appears that the town of Kinglake, just to the north of Melbourne may have been pretty much totally destroyed...

...and a 14 year old, 9 year old and their uncle were found dead there.

Simply shocking.

Article

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2009, 06:15:44 PM »
My prayers are with you and your family, as well as all those affected by the fire.  Sure seems the whole earth is having to deal with extreme mother nature this year. Hope the person(s) responsible for the fire is/are caught and punished to the full extent of the law.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2009, 06:21:06 PM »
Thank you - just got word that my uncle's farm is okay at the moment - however, the fire near them has destroyed up to a 100 houses.

Kinglake has been copletely wiped off the map  - there is nothing left of that town.

Marysville is apparantly 80% destroyed.

The outer suburbs of Melbourne are being hit very hard as well.

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2009, 06:58:41 PM »
here is some ABC news footage of devastated Marysville

Narbethong has also been wiped off the map
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2009, 07:02:57 PM by fallen »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2009, 07:26:51 PM »
Oh my gosh, that video is devastating to watch.  So much destruction.  My prayers continue for all of those affected.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2009, 07:49:33 PM »
I can make out where the pub is that was near where my aunt lived - near the wood mill... many meals and karaoke nights in there - it looks that the house, the pub and the mill are gone.

The hotel is gone, as is the police station and national park office.

I have many fond memories of Marysville - many school vacations I stayed there.  It  heart breaking to see it all gone now.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2009, 08:17:55 PM »
Wow.. total destruction! And these fires are intentionally set? I do hope they find the person(s) responsible!
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2009, 08:27:06 PM »
it seems that most of the fires were deliberately lit.

New South Wales also has fires raging out of control.

Ironically, Queensland is experiencing massive flooding, with over a 3rd of that state flooded

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:09:36 PM »
Oh man, this is quite distressing.

Kinglake, Narbethong and Marysville are pretty much completely gone

the toll now stands at 35 confirmed dead - there are reports of many bodies in the shattered towns.  Apparantly many burnt out cars have the remains of people in them.  Many childen have perished.

The ambulance service has been stretched beyond breaking point, they can not reachsome areas, including tending to the injured in the 3 towns above.

Firefighters from Tasmania are being flown into help.

The number of homes lost is in the 100's

Power has been cut to the north of the state and is likely to stay that way for a while.

The Army has been mobilised to help the exhausted firefighters.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:16:05 PM »
Firefighters flown in and militia help will be key. You need to rest, Damien. Or we will be praying for you. It is distressing. But there is little you can do right now from so far away.

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:22:44 PM »
i am in constant contact with my family - ma and pa are in no risk at the moment, but my uncle and family are in Bendigo - currently over 100 homes are lost and 1 is confirmed dead.

News from Marysville - only 2 buildings stand and 8 are dead, including children.

The fires are still raging - and some ae suggeting that the toll may reach over 100

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2009, 12:47:10 AM »
Current update:

49 dead

649 homes destroyed - aout 550 in Kinglake

dozens are missing and injured (some are very critically injured)

many fires still burning

The community spirit is alive and well - I am hearing on streamed radio of many people dropping what they are doing and going to help at the evac centres

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2009, 01:55:09 AM »
This is heartbreaking...

currently:

65 are dead - many died in their cars trying to get away from the fires

640 houses destroyed

power outages across the state

the towns of Kinglake and Marysville have been wiped off the map

i have relatives and friends in the danger areas... Marysville was my '2nd' home.

just heard on the radio that a man that has not heard from his wife and 3 children since their house was destroyed 18hours ago... poor guy! 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2009, 03:27:12 PM »
This is soooo sad, Damien. :( I am relieved to read that you have been able to get in touch with your family.

Prayers for all that are affected by these fires and the family members that are worried about them and can't reach them... :pray:

Edit:I just read that some of the fires are deliberately being reset! :o I am beyond words... :tickedoff:
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2009, 03:32:22 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2009, 10:27:38 PM »
It is all so horribly sad.  I saw a story on the news today and they said that over 100 had passed away in the fires.  The pictures were worse than any I have seen of fires before in how widespread they were.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2009, 03:31:23 AM »
131 confirmed dead - and unconfirmed about 200+ dead...

The situation in Marysville is grim, they are finding dozens of bodies...out of a population of 800

Healesville is being evacuated

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2009, 04:12:35 AM »
it is so heartbreaking - that is my home state, those areas are places i have travelled to and enjoyed - I have friends in many f those places.

I can't do much here in Japan, but I did go onto the Australian Red Cross wbsite and donated a few hundred dollars... it is the least I could do.

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2009, 03:35:41 PM »
173 dead now, many fires are still raging, putting more towns at risk

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2009, 04:05:27 PM »
As a person who lives in a fire prone area, i am so sad to see this. Many prayers for all involved.

Offline fallen

• Resident Physicist
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2009, 04:38:47 AM »
181 dead now, they reckon itll reach 300 ... fires are coming under control...

bureaucracy has caused many problems as well

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2009, 07:51:09 AM »
I was watching the news coverage on the fires this morning. It is just sooo sad that someone keeps deliberately restarting these fires.  The reporter stated that whoever started these fires, when caught, should be dealt with as a mass murderer. I agree. I, also, think that the culprit(s) should be burned to death to show him/them what the people who are losing their lives are going through... :(
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal