Author Topic: What Is This Nasty Stuff?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
What Is This Nasty Stuff?
« on: Apr 25, 2009, 08:26:19 PM »
I was putting some water in the ponds yesterday and decided to water the elephant ears while I was at it. I noticed a dark black "cloud" in my mulch. I kept watering it because I thought it was one of those exploding mushrooms. Imagine my surprise when I saw what looked like vomit after the dust cleared. What is this nasty stuff? :puke-1:

Do I need to scoop it away from my elephant ears? ???
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: What Is This Nasty Stuff?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2009, 09:22:45 PM »
It is another fungus like mushrooms. I do get rid of it when I find any growing.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2009, 10:08:58 PM »
Thanks, Tina. I guess I will try to find me some gloves and get rid of it tomorrow then. The stuff really looks gross out there... :o
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2009, 11:22:42 PM »
use a plastic bag just like scooping after a dog. It will also smell if I remember correctly.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2009, 11:27:33 PM »
how long has the mulch been in place?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2009, 11:38:57 PM »
Thanks for the tip about the bag, Tina. Now I just have to find a clothespin for my nose, too... :wink5:

Sheri, the mulch has been down since November 13 of last year...

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2009, 08:50:23 PM »
is it just in that 1 spot?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2009, 09:43:13 PM »
Today I was out at the pond cleaning filters and the nasty spot is gone! :unsure: I don't know where it disappeared to but I looked all around the area and didn't see a dot of yellow. It was getting dark, though. :ScratchHead: I did, however, find another splatter of yellow by the sago palm... :razberry:

That is some nasty stuff!

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2009, 10:50:52 AM »
That would be dog vomit fungus.  :grinnnn:  It is some gross looking stuff, but is harmless.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/sam21/dogvomit.htm
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2009, 09:48:29 PM »
Yuck! What nasty stuff. I am not sure I like the idea of it just appearing in my mulch. I wonder if there is something you could do to keep it from happening? :unsure:

Thanks for the name to google, Sarah, and the link... :grinnnn:

Tina, the black cloud from this mess really looked like the mess we have with mushrooms around here sometimes. From the link that Sarah posted I realize now that it was spreading spores. ::)
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2009, 09:52:01 PM by Dianna »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal