Author Topic: Messy Housekeepers  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Messy Housekeepers
« on: May 11, 2009, 04:47:18 PM »
Our wild birds make a mess with the feeders and they don't clean up after themselves at all. :Groaner: After trying to weed out the mess from under the feeder in my side flowerbed and under the feeder at the pond garden, I was wondering how all of you handle the messes? Where do you keep your feeders so that you don't have to weed behind them?

We have a feeder in the gazebo, but I think I am going to have to move that one, too. There is seed everywhere out there and I don't think I want to have to sweep behind them all the time. The little "buzzards" could show their thanks and clean up behind themselves! :giggle:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:40:40 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Messy Housekeepers
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:51:29 PM »
My feeders are right in my garden and I just go through with the hand rake when I see things popping up.  Still get my share of weeds but in general the daylillies are bigger and cover them up really well.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Tonya

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 09:17:19 PM »
I keep mine out in the grassy area of the yard and just mow any offenders down with the mower :ThumbUp:

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 10:40:33 PM »
They also sell a mess-free seed mix, around here it's called the patio mix.

OR you could let a few of the plants grow. Millet grass is pretty neat.  :grinnnn:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 09:59:57 PM »
Triss, four feeders are all in gardening areas. I checked outside today around the gazebo and sure enough the seed is "weeding" up my mulch around it, too. It isn't easy weeding with the cedar bark down there. ::) I put mulch down to kill weeds and the bird seed weeds are growing from the top of it... :razberry:

Tonya, I will be moving my feeders, I think. I can put two in the trees but one is on a pole, and another is attached to Jim's ham shack. It will just be aggravating trying to find spots for them that won't be hard to mow under or around. Our trees are still really small and I have a time mowing around them now without something hanging in them. :giggle: I am always getting a limb in the face out there mowing... :Loser:

Sarah, millet grass is NOT neat in flower beds on top of mulch. It looks terrible. :( It would make beautiful grass for a bare spot, though. :grinnnn: If I can't find the mess-free seed mix, the feeders are definitely getting moved out of my gardens. I didn't know there was such a thing as mess-free seed mix. Thanks for the heads-up. I will be looking for it. :Watching: I bet it will cost an arm and a leg, though.... :Wacko:

"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal