Author Topic: Learning To Sew - New Cushions  (Read 6902 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Learning To Sew - New Cushions
« Reply #25 on: Apr 02, 2009, 08:32:33 PM »
I have been trying to get another cushion under my belt, but I have had the worst luck with the machine. I keep breaking needles for some reason. Jim oiled the machine for me tonight and then I ran into another problem...  ::)

When I broke my needles, I just pulled one out of the pack that came with the machine. I didn't know that they had sizes on them... :Blush:

Now I am trying to find out what size needle was in the machine when I first got it. :giggle: Since that one lasted through a whole cushion, that is what I think I should probably be using... :unsure:

Triss, believe it or not, I have wallpaper in my kitchen and bathrooms that have the leaf design on it and my window treatments have the leaf theme, also. Since green is my favorite color, I will probably be using a "ferny" green color to highlight with... :BigGrin:

Donna, you fly right on down here for a visit and I will ask Aunt Bonnie to teach you, too... :D

Aunt Bonnie, I couldn't have accomplished anything without you. :kissies: I think that is the reason I am having troubles now...you aren't here to walk me through them!

Tonya, I always wanna see pics too, so I knew I had to get them on here and fast... ;D

Hopefully I will find out the size I started out with and be able to pick up some needles this weekend. I guess I won't be sewing tomorrow... :(
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #26 on: Apr 02, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »
Your little booklet that (hopefully) came with your machine should tell you what size needles for weight of fabric, Dianna.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #27 on: Apr 02, 2009, 08:47:49 PM »
Thank you, Tina. :kissies: I just looked in my book and found out what I should be using and that is one of my spares that I haven't broken yet! :banana02: :Yahoo: :banana02:

I guess I will be back in business again tomorrow. :Glee:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #28 on: Apr 02, 2009, 10:42:39 PM »
You are very welcome. An easy fix. And If you didn't have your little book handy I have all of mine that came with my machines.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #29 on: Apr 03, 2009, 02:55:18 AM »
The green will be a great highlight.  Glad you had a spare needle!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #30 on: Apr 08, 2009, 11:43:16 AM »
Well, two sets are done now! One more and the couch will be covered. :Yahoo: Then I will have the two chairs and the party ottoman to cover... ::)

Aunt Bonnie found out this weekend that I had wrapped thread around something I shouldn't while trying to thread the machine so after she showed me what I was doing wrong, I can now thread it properly. The bobbin, too, had some problems. It was all a tangled mess. That is why it kept hanging up on me and breaking my needles. After threading another bobbin and putting it back in, the sewing machine works like it is supposed to. :grinnnn:

Thank you, Aunt Bonnie, for having the patience to teach me. :kissies: I think I am really going to like sewing once I get some experience under my belt... :)
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2009, 11:45:27 AM by Dianna »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #31 on: Apr 08, 2009, 01:40:18 PM »
Good news Dianna.  Now that you are more familiar with the machine, you will make quick progress.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #32 on: Apr 08, 2009, 07:37:18 PM »
I left my sewing machine when I left my husband so I don't sew.  I think I'm glad.  I might feel compelled to tackle a hard job and it wouldn't turn out so lovely I'm sure.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #33 on: Apr 11, 2009, 01:30:46 PM »
Triss, I am certain that the sewing machine and I will be old buddies by the time I get through with these cushions. I am already thinking about my next project... :giggle:

Sheri, I would have given you mine a week ago with all the problems I was having with it... :rofl1:

I have been working on the last cushion for the couch today. Shouldn't take me too long to finish it once I figure out how to sew the thing closed. Every time I get to that part I have to stop and think of how to do it. :laughpound: I may get some patterns cut out for the party ottoman today. If so, I might even get the ottoman done tomorrow... :happy:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #34 on: Apr 11, 2009, 02:10:58 PM »
You really are moving along now that you have gotten going Dianna!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #35 on: Apr 22, 2009, 03:29:48 PM »
Well, I started sewing on the cushions for the ottoman and broke my machine again. ::) I can't move the needle no matter how I try. :( Guess Jim will have to work on it for me when he gets home. I did the same thing before and he was able to get it going again. Sure hope it is the same easy fix... :grinnnn:

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #36 on: Apr 22, 2009, 04:24:12 PM »
I have done that a few times, Dianna, and I find that few under-the-breath swears usually get the machine going again. 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #37 on: Apr 23, 2009, 07:26:40 AM »
I find that few under-the-breath swears usually get the machine going again. 

Tried that, Sarah Loo, and it didn't work. :giggle: Jim got me all fixed up when he got in from work, though.

I have a question for all of you that sew. Can I cut the zipper? :unsure: The last time my furniture was recovered, my best friend in NC did it for me. She has zippers in the ottoman covers that are really about eight inches too long. They are plastic.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #38 on: Apr 23, 2009, 09:58:22 AM »
Cutting a zipper is not a good idea. They won't stay closed after being cut. It makes it hard for the pull to grab evenly and 'connect' the two sides. Your friend probably tucked the unneeded portion inside the cushion, a much better way to handle the too long thing.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #39 on: Apr 23, 2009, 12:13:44 PM »
She did tuck it in, Tina. I was just thinking that it would be better shorter and a lot easier for me to handle. ::) Good thing I asked...

Thanks for telling me the reason behind not cutting it... :NewHug:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #40 on: Apr 23, 2009, 04:18:18 PM »
Well, I am sure you have dealt with broken zippers that will not keep closed because at some point they cannot connect properly. Even though the rest will close that area just releases the whole thing all the way up or down? That is what you are creating with a 'cut', a new place for it to screw up the works.
Now I'm going to tell you that it CAN be done. But you must be an expert on the thing or it won't work. I won't even attempt it and neither will most expert seamstresses. It is not worth the effort it takes.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #41 on: Apr 24, 2009, 07:41:47 AM »
Well, since I am a self-confessed non-expert, I left the zipper alone and tucked it in, Tina. :giggle: I spent the rest of the evening ripping the whole cushion out, though, because it didn't fit properly after I sewed it together.

I am an expert ripper-outer! :laugh1:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #42 on: Apr 24, 2009, 11:28:25 AM »
Oh no Dianna, all that work.  I am sorry it did not fit.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #43 on: Apr 24, 2009, 07:15:18 PM »
Arghhhh! :Vent: I am still working on that first ottoman cushion. Got it sewed back together, had to rip out one side again, started to sew it together once more, and then the dadgum bobbin ran out of thread... :tickedoff:

I think this one particular cushion doesn't like me... :giggle:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #44 on: Apr 25, 2009, 09:59:08 PM »
I am through (except for the fray blocking) with the dadgum ottoman cushions! :Yahoo:

With those smaller cushions, it has been one thing after another. After I got the first one done, I realized I didn't leave the zipper opened so that I could turn it right side out. :Blush: I called Aunt Bonnie and she suggested that I try using some needle-nose plyers to try to push the zipper open. It worked. :ThumbUp: I was so afraid I was going to have to rip out an opening and resew...

The second ottoman about whipped me from the first. I sewed two pieces together the wrong way. When I saw it, I about cried. :Crybaby2: I remembered Aunt Bonnie telling me right side to right side, but for some reason my hands didn't communicate with my brain. ::) Oh, well. After I ripped it out and started over, that cushion went fine. It even fit right the first time. :banana02:

Monday I will be cutting out another chair before I go pick up the girls. I hope that I will get another chair done sometime next week... :BigGrin:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #45 on: Apr 25, 2009, 11:24:22 PM »
Beautiful, Dianna. I hate ripping things out.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #46 on: Apr 26, 2009, 09:18:27 AM »
I thought I posted here last night, but sure don't see it.  Anyhow, you have done a wonderful job Dianna... and I'll say it again, I love the material you chose.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #47 on: Apr 26, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »
Looking Good!!!!
This is me ->?

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #48 on: Apr 27, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »
That looks awesome Dianna!  You did a really good job on those, congratulations for getting that part of the project finished.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #49 on: Apr 27, 2009, 09:23:25 PM »
Thank you, Ladies! :NewHug: I was pleased, myself, with how they turned out... :grinnnn:

I have been working on cutting out the material for the two chairs today. Didn't get finished with that but I did get the ottoman cushions fray checked. Still have to put the Scotch Guard on everything... :BigGrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal