Author Topic: Future Garden Plans  (Read 1875 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Future Garden Plans
« on: May 21, 2009, 09:13:27 AM »
Well I've been looking at where I am and trying to figure out what will have to be done and when.

So far I know that the sidewalk bed needs landscape timbers on it's other side.  That's about 6 timbers at 8.00 each.  Then there are a couple of bald spots in the middle where I want to put in some 12 inch tall plants.  And I want to add some more fall blooming stuff and more summer stuff and then a ground cover.  You can see I have some research in front of me as far as what I should plant.

This summer I'll plant portulaca, zinnia, and celosia.

Then this fall I need to divide the irises, peacock orchids & blackberry lilies.  Fertilize the plants before I put them to bed.  Prune the fruit trees.

And all the rest is cutting grass, select cutting trees and weeding lol.  No problem right?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: Future Garden Plans
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 05:50:54 PM »
I know you know that the portulaca, zinnia and celosia is annual.  Wonder if you can't find something else that will come back next year - hence less work in the long run.  Just an idea.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 06:22:37 AM »
I enjoy planting seeds and watching them sprout and grow.  Plus with annuals you get a long blooming season that you don't get with most perennials.  So there are trade offs between the two types of plants.  I like having a combination of the two types of plants. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2009, 07:20:41 AM »
Woohoo, today I ordered two types of plants off of my wish list.  They were on sale and I don't pay until they ship this fall.  It's from the Springhill Super Saver deal. 

I got the variegated weigela to go with the old fashioned I picked up this spring and I got a set of 3 primroses.  together they are almost 30 bucks but considering that the weigela can cost that much on it's own I figured it was worth it. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2009, 12:12:03 PM »
I usually plant a few annuals too TK.  But mostly now I plant annuals with seeds.  I'm thinking about  digging up my flower garden and putting my vegetable garden there next year.  The flower garden started out pretty but now it's sort of out of control.  The reseeders have taken over and no matter how many plants I pull out they come back in full force.  Johnny keeps saying he's going to put a pool in the area so I'm on hold right now.  Since the road work has cut some large trees on the other side of the house I have more sun and can plant all sorts of plants on that side now.  We'll see.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2009, 04:22:52 PM »
It's so much fun planning different things isn't it.  I'm not sure I'd want a pool though.  It seemed like dad was always fussing with his.  I have a hard enough time just fussing with the "Lawn of Weeds"

I haven't gotten any father on the brush problem.  But I expect I'll get out there one day.  At least I hope I do.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal