Author Topic: Dining Room Upgrade  (Read 14253 times)

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Dining Room Upgrade
« Reply #50 on: Jul 06, 2009, 05:29:39 PM »
Beautiful, Sarah. Just lovely.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #51 on: Jul 06, 2009, 07:00:49 PM »
Are you going to keep the real wood in the dining Room. That floor look so good after the sanding. Is the dining room visible from the kitchen or do the floors meet? Have you thought of doing tile in the kitchen or the laminate that looks like tile, so the real wood floor doesn't make the laminate wood look "fake"? Just my thoughts. I most definately NOT cover up the dining room floor if it's in good shape. It's beautiful!
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #52 on: Jul 06, 2009, 09:46:30 PM »
Are you sure that you are really gonna wanna move after uncovering that? :grinnnn: Looks like you have run into some buried treasure! :BigGrin:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #53 on: Jul 07, 2009, 11:43:29 AM »
We aren't covering up the dining room floor.  :Smileystop: Not after all that work and it looks great.  Huh-uh!   :smileyNo:  The kitchen is actually where I'm standing in most of the pictures I've taken thus far.  The floor from the dining room extends straight into the kitchen.  There is one big problem we're trying to figure out.  As you can kinda see in the pics below, our dining room is "framed up" but a little fake wall thing on the edge of the kitchen.  The wall on the left of the screen is almost 1.5-2 inches further away from me than the wall on the right.  How do we do a transition / threshold into the kitchen if the walls are not in a straight line??  
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2009, 11:45:02 AM by landofoz »

Offline UNCLEG

« Reply #54 on: Jul 08, 2009, 01:09:04 PM »
Just a thought.  My Kitchen is vynal and the rest of house is hardwood, the entrance to kitchen is at an angle.  All I did was run a a piece of hardwood threshold across the angle.  It looks good.  Will try and get a pic for you.

g

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #55 on: Jul 09, 2009, 09:39:08 AM »
Love to see a pic, G!

Adam got the floor stained last night.  It took him just over 3 hours to stain a 72 sq ft room.   :shock: 

The results:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #56 on: Jul 09, 2009, 09:48:23 AM »
Sarah Loo, that looks fantastic! :Wow: I hope you and Adam are proud of yourselves. Y'all have done an amazing job on that room thus far.... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #57 on: Jul 09, 2009, 10:05:35 AM »
Beautiful! I love wood floors.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #58 on: Jul 09, 2009, 12:21:12 PM »
Looks awesome!  You all got so much done in such s short amount of time.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #59 on: Jul 09, 2009, 01:37:33 PM »
Today is our 2 week anniversary since the beginning of working in the dining room.  No one has been harmed (on purpose) during the project and we're still married, so I think it's coming along well.  It seems like it is taking forever though!

Tonight, I think, we're planning on putting down the first coat of polyurethane and then going out to get some DQ Blizzards - we have a coupon for the Peanut Butter Patty Girl Scout Blizzards, so I know what I'm ordering! :yay_jump: 

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #60 on: Jul 10, 2009, 10:39:37 AM »
Adam put down the first coat of poly last night.  We're using a water-based product which definitely doesn't smell as bad or as potent as the stain we used.  Adam is hoping to put on another layer tonight and then hit it up a few times tomorrow, so that we can put up the trim and bead board on Sunday.  We can't move anything back into the room for 3 days after the final coat, though.  We're rounding the final stretch!!

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #61 on: Jul 10, 2009, 06:58:42 PM »
Almost done... Yeah!!  Don't forget pics of the finished product!  That floor will be FAB!

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #62 on: Jul 12, 2009, 06:18:27 PM »
It sure is looking good.
This is me ->?

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #63 on: Jul 13, 2009, 12:18:59 AM »
It's looking much improved now!  I'm so pleased with it.  The white really settles down the blue wall color - it had been looking purply in the evening light but now holds its blue hue nicely during the evening.  The first pic is an in-progress pic this afternoon, then is a picture taken just a few moments ago and finally the lock I put in all by myself.  It's the only thing Adam has let me do, so I'm pretty pleased!  :goofy:

We still have to run a second trim on the bottom - our floors are easily about a half inch un-level in places which is quite a pain in the neck to mess with.  Plus, the walls aren't square at all, which made the job just that much more difficult.  Adam has had a great keep-on-truckin' attitude and we're getting it done!   :happy:

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #64 on: Jul 13, 2009, 12:28:48 AM »
Wow, y'all have done a great job on this project. Kudos to the both of you. I think this is the type of thing I would have hired done. I'd never have the confidence to think I could do as well as the two of you have. It looks fabulous!

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #65 on: Jul 13, 2009, 07:44:16 AM »
Looks great....well done to you both~~!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #66 on: Jul 13, 2009, 07:55:35 AM »
Fantastic work! :Wow: It looks beautiful, Sarah Loo.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #67 on: Jul 13, 2009, 08:03:38 AM »
That does look really awesome, Sarah. Kudos to you.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #68 on: Jul 13, 2009, 10:30:42 AM »
Thanks!   :Blush:  We still have a lot of work in front of us though.  We need to filled the spaces in the bottom trim and all the nail holes.  Then we still have to paint it all and maybe put another layer of polyurethane down.  It doesn't sound like a whole lot, does it?   :yesssss:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #69 on: Jul 13, 2009, 11:52:14 AM »
it sounds less than when you started.  Looks great.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #70 on: Jul 13, 2009, 12:55:07 PM »
Beautiful!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #71 on: Jul 16, 2009, 12:09:47 PM »
Thanks, ladies! :Blush:

We're working on detail work now.  Adam took Tuesday night off and did his best to jip out of working on it last night. :Whack:  He did spend an hour putting caulk/joint filler stuff in all the gaps left in the paneling; that was enough for me.  It's coming along.  I don't think he wants to put anything back in there, so he has started procrastinating.  Today is Day 21.  I can't function much longer in a kitchen with 1.5 feet of counter space and only 2 burners on the stove. 

We're looking at rugs for the dining room and maybe something to put on the wall...  I really don't want to put my stuff back in there.  My stuff is huge and will take up a lot of space in the room...

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #72 on: Jul 20, 2009, 09:39:25 AM »
Well, here is an updated pic.  We haven't painted the bead board yet but it should be done tomorrow or so.  We have all the trim up and have filled all the holes with caulking.  It's all sanded down and ready to be primed. 

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #73 on: Jul 20, 2009, 09:42:50 AM »
Nice job and the floor looks great~~!

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #74 on: Jul 20, 2009, 12:00:41 PM »
It really does look wonderful, Sarah. A great job.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal