Author Topic: Mother Nature and the Deck  (Read 1849 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Mother Nature and the Deck
« on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:27:17 PM »
Back in March I bought two cans of Redwood Stain for my deck.  Since then I have been trying to clean the deck and prep it so that I can stain it.  From what I understand I need 4 dry days before I stain and about 3 days after so that it doesn't get messed up.  And I'm thinking it's going to take me about 3 days to stain it.  So far the only time it's been dry was when I we too depressed to get out there and do it.

Today I cleaned up all of the starter pots that the crows had ransacked looking for more stale bread.  Then I got out the seven and bug proofed the entire thing.  There was a colony of tiny spiders living at one end of the railing.  Ugh!

Then since I had the bug stuff out I sprayed the entire foundation and planted my yellow mums and the lisanthus.  And I started to water the fruit trees.  About then the clouds gathered, the thunder boomed, the lightening struck and I turned off the water and ran for the house. 

Then the flood hit.  Loosening several pieces of my siding.  And of course washing away all of the bug proofing.  Well at least the ground should be soft enough to do some weeding.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Re: Mother Nature and the Deck
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:39:26 PM »
Oh, Tammy, I'm so sorry!  I know what you mean about the bug proofing being washed off.  We used to get the house sprayed for spiders for about $60 and, never fail, it would rain right after they left.  I hope you got enough to stick to kill those nasty little spiders though.   :scaredy:  I hate those things...

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2009, 02:10:21 PM »
Me too.  I'll be out there spraying again tomorrow.  I need two hours for it to be waterproof.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2009, 07:49:45 PM »
Gosh what a mess.  Maybe I should try that to get it to rain here.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2009, 07:40:08 AM »
lol that's one way.  But kind of expensive with the cost of the stain and the sevin.  One bottle of that cost me 17.50.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2009, 11:06:41 AM »
We have had several of those storms lately. They always seem to undo something that you just finish working on... :razberry:

The rain should be good for the newly planted mum and lisianthus, though. Unless they drowned... ::)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2009, 06:10:37 AM »
the mums and lisianthus look bad.  rain and 90 degree temperatures are a really bad combination.  Hopefully they will recover. 

Well it was great i happened to be watching a DIY program and guess what the subject was.  Staining old decks. 

So I have the deck washing stuff now I just need to get the stuff to get of the algae that is hiding in the wood.  I didn't know anything about that stuff.  Well with the rain in the afternoon if I do the cleaning after that it should stay wet long enough that I won't have to dampen it with a hose.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal