Author Topic: Mandevilla  (Read 7619 times)

johnnie

Mandevilla
« on: Sep 16, 2009, 10:14:54 AM »
Jim
OK obviously conditions are different here than they are in SC. On a new plot/bed I would just dig the ground rough leaving big clods Sept/Oct where I am growing brassica etc I would dig in lime this would take care of most cabbage type bugs I would dig in copious amounts of horse muck then leave for the winter and let the frost do the breaking down work for me, OR forget the lime then in the spring just plant potatoes the first year then in year two the soil should be in good condition (well broken down).
In SC I don't think you get frost (not sure) which makes it a little harder to cultivate for vegetables, I don't know what you would use for a manure crop is it soya?? here it would be comfrey (a wild plant/flower).
On the plus side you have compensations you can grow tender plants all year round where here I have to take exotics half hardy perennials in before the frosts. So it means you are able to grow the most rewarding plant of all. A hybrid of Dipladenia x Mandville called Sundaville, this plant originates from South America and is a prolific bloomer all year round given the right conditions it is evergreen and needs to kept at 46F minimum, does not require huge amounts of water and a feed once a fortnight it would like. I am posting pics so you can make up your own mind also a USA URL for cultural instructions. I have one  :yay_jump:
http://www.weidners.com/dipladenia.html

« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2009, 10:40:14 AM by johnnie »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Mandevilla
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2009, 10:50:46 AM »
What a stunning flower!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2009, 04:00:12 PM »
Very pretty. I'll have to look that up.
So I did and I have that plant. I just bought it. But I think you may be mistaken in the zones here. I am in zone 9 and my temps do dip into the low 30's and below sometimes. I think SC is zone 7-8 and even cooler. But even here the mandevilla can struggle in the winters.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

johnnie

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2009, 02:40:23 AM »

I too have a Mandevilla.  It dies in the winter.
Thats interesting! you say it "dies" (is it possible for you to post a pic of your plant) in winter is that every winter?. What I am talking about is Sundaville which is a hybrid of sunmandecrim x mandevilla sanderi. I also notice that you are in NC which of course has a different winter climate than SC and even there it is a lot warmer as you get nearer the coast.
I guess the easiest way to put it is "if you can grow tropicals safely then you can grow this plant" if you can't then overwinter indoors like me.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2009, 08:11:42 AM by Jim »

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2009, 06:41:58 PM »
I'll get a picture of the mandavilla.  It dies every winter and if I want another one I have to buy one and plant it.

johnnie

« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2009, 01:45:19 AM »
I'll get a picture of the mandavilla.  It dies every winter and if I want another one I have to buy one and plant it.

OK why buy one every year, thats expensive (at least they are here) why not keep one in a pot, take it in, in the winter and prune it back to about 2 feet and it will make more than enough growth each year to be a show plant. You don't need a large pot just one big enough that you can handle and place indoors without you breaking your back. The results are well worth the trouble. Just remember to ease up on the watering.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009, 10:35:06 PM by Jim »

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2009, 09:51:43 PM »
that's beautiful sheri
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2009, 07:59:06 AM »
So pretty and pink Sheri.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2009, 10:05:44 AM »
I love it!  :ThumbUp: This year I have a red one, but it wasn't vigorous at all. I prefer the pink.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2009, 12:22:21 PM »
this one will die at first frost.  I don't try to cover and save them all winter.  It's too much trouble.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2009, 12:34:17 PM »
I have mixed success wintering them over in the greenhouse.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

johnnie

« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2009, 02:20:59 PM »
I posted a reply but it went missing guess I did something wrong. What I said was it is a nice colour and what is the variegated plant growing underneath is it a hosta???? you are right about the frost it will be history.
Here is a picture of mine it is currently standing at 3 feet but I shall prune it back to two feet before winter.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2009, 04:14:21 PM »
Mine is a red about four foot tall. I have a second one, red as well. Mine may or may not winter over depending on our winter temps. But it is supposed to be mild so maybe....
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

johnnie

« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »
we had this disccussion about this plant in another topic. If where you live is mild and frost free in the winter then you are very fortunate in that you can grow it outside 365 without fear of losing it.

Although I have only one red Sunderville I quite like the pink and it's red throat, I think I am going to try the yellow one next year

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #15 on: Sep 23, 2009, 05:44:15 PM »
yes, that's a variegated hosta.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal