Author Topic: fire balls  (Read 2912 times)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
fire balls
« on: Sep 24, 2009, 10:15:19 PM »
not sure where this goes, but here is the story.  as told to my by my great grandfather (i was in my 20's before he died) and all my life, he never varied in how he told it.

when he was a youngish man, fishing the bayous to support his family, he would often go out, alone, after dark.  one night, a foggy mist came up.  as he was catching fish, he kept poling his boat (this was before gas motors, and parts of the bayou were too shallow anyway) farther and farther following the fish.  as he followed the fish, the fog got thicker and thicker.  before long, he knew he had gotten out into the bay and back into another bayou, but it wasn't "his" bayou.  and didn't look familiar at all.

as he had the night's catch to feed his family, and hopefully sell some, he really needed to get home.  but the fog was so thick, you couldn't see your fingers in front of your face.  the only way he knew he had fish was the feel of the net.

just about that time, a big (maybe 4-5 ft across) fireball came up just past the bow of the boat.  at first, he was frightened, what would he do if the boat caught fire?  but the fireball was just past.  not touching the boat.  and he could see the water under the fireball.  so, he poled a little closer (really just inches) and the ball moved away.  just inches.  so he got closer.  back and forth, he and the fire ball went.  before long, he was sure he was really, really lost.  but, he kept following the fireball.  as the sun came up, and the fog started to lift, the ball disappeared and he was at the mouth of a strange bayou he had never been in before.  but he could see the landmarks he used for the bay to get back to his bayou.

he swore until his death that if it weren't for the fire ball, he'd have died that night.  and would have been 'gator bait.  i believe him.

the questions are, where did the fire ball come from, what was it, and why didn't it go out in the foggy mist?
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2009, 10:18:21 PM by bayou girl »
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: fire balls
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2009, 10:20:41 PM »
Sounds like someone, or something, was trying to guide him to safety to me... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2009, 10:21:58 PM »
Very interesting. Was this in Fla.?  Lots of strange things happen in the bayous around here.  And the woods, and the foggy eerie evenings and mornings. Well, you know. You used to live around here. Sounds like some one/thing was looking out for him.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2009, 10:24:27 PM »
Spooky but in a nice way. i'm glad he followed the fireball because where would you be if he hadn't?
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2009, 10:26:13 PM »
dianna, yes.  he "got religion" and started preaching not long after that.

barb, it was in the bayous off choctawhatchie bay.  between portland and freeport.  if you know where that is.

yes, tina, you are right about that!

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2009, 10:30:12 PM »
Yup. Born and raised in FWB --- lived on the bay! Not a bayfront house -- my folks always had boats and every minute they weren't working we were on the boat.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2009, 11:09:05 PM »
i've got a singer sewing machine that was floated across that bay on a barge from p'cola.  belonged to the other great grandmother.

knowing that area, you'll be interested in fire ball story #2 which involves that great grandmother.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2009, 11:19:13 PM »
Has it been posted?  I don't see it.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »
Has it been posted?  I don't see it.
not yet.  that will be my next story.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal