Author Topic: High Iron Foods  (Read 1844 times)

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
High Iron Foods
« on: Oct 29, 2009, 05:57:36 PM »
I have started bruising like crazy.  Even if I lightly bump into stuff, I get large bruises.  Any suggestions for high iron food?  We've been eating LOTS of chicken recently, so I was thinking of putting something more RED into my diet. 

Offline Annette

Re: High Iron Foods
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2009, 07:21:39 PM »
Liver, spinach, sardines, nuts.  Also remember to have vitamin C at the same time to help your body adsorb the iron.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2009, 07:26:45 PM »
Bruising easily can mean many things, as I'm sure you know, so make sure it's just the iron thing.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2009, 07:33:31 PM »
Like Sheri says...be sure first.

Then...work on finding family acceptable foods. Spinach can be made into a pesto. Or used in wraps.

Nuts go nice in cookies.  :BigGrin: Or in oatmeal...

Red meat...well, that speaks for itself.  :542:

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2009, 07:41:28 PM »
I think egg yokes are a suggested source of iron too.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2009, 05:31:01 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!

I always have low iron levels (hemoglobin?).  The health department is always bothering me about it.  In the past month, we've switched to eating almost always chicken or veggie dishes.  I think cutting out the red meat has made the difference with the bruising.  We just can't afford it anymore.  That stuff is getting extremely expensive.  

Our family loves spinach - as long as it's not canned.  I can add that in without any issues.  And I love the nuts in cookies.  The girl scout sale that Rachael did offered chocolate covered almonds and I just opened those.  Perhaps that should be "my" jar 'cause of health issues...   :BigGrin:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2009, 05:34:29 PM »
Aren't raisins high in iron? :dunno: It seems I remember my mother giving them to us to keep our iron up. :ScratchHead:

At any rate, you could buy the single serving boxes to keep on hand and eat one box a day to help with your iron, if they are... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2009, 05:35:42 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Dianna, but raisins rank right up there with peas.  Ewwwwwwwwww.  (Unless you catch me during some weird chocolate covered raisin cravin' which I have from time to time)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2009, 09:32:59 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Dianna, but raisins rank right up there with peas.  Ewwwwwwwwww.  (Unless you catch me during some weird chocolate covered raisin cravin' which I have from time to time)
sounds like a good excuse to have come chocolate covered raisins to me :giggle:
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2009, 10:31:03 PM »
raisins look like dead flies to me.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2009, 07:21:57 AM »
Hmmmm, sounds like there are lots of great suggestions Sarah, and i've heard the same thing regarding raisins too. :ThumbUp: :ThumbUp:

Yogurt is another good one, and brussel sprouts, asparagus, i was told even banana's help, and great for potassium too  :ThumbUp:

Shhhhh Sheri, dont tell her that  :laughmao: :laughmao:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal