Author Topic: We're having our stairs redone  (Read 15043 times)

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: We're having our stairs redone
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2009, 04:04:03 PM »
Here are my stairs today.

this is the runner over the pine stairs

the post and handrail were purple when we moved in

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2009, 04:05:37 PM »

did I already post one of these?

Jessica

« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2009, 04:16:13 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2009, 05:26:15 PM »
I think wrought iron can work very well in a 20's craftsman style house. I will enjoy finished pictures too.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2009, 06:19:39 PM »
I think it is beautiful as it is, but think the wrought iron will be gorgeous, too...

Purple is a pretty color, but I think the previous owners might have been a bit "tetched" in their heads... ::)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #30 on: Dec 04, 2009, 08:03:18 PM »

Purple is a pretty color, but I think the previous owners might have been a bit "tetched" in their heads... ::)

the carpet was orange shag.

We're going to change the pine to oak and not put back up the white baseboard.  The entire step is going to be oak, treads and risers.  No white this time.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #31 on: Dec 04, 2009, 08:08:04 PM »
White can scuff sometimes. Oak looks good even if it gets distressed a bit.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #32 on: Dec 04, 2009, 08:22:18 PM »
I like the way they look. I am partial to wood accents/trim/floors, etc. though. Keeping the wood stairs and top rail will look good with the wrought iron.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 04, 2009, 09:22:12 PM »
the carpet was orange shag.

Past "tetched" then. Sick as hell is more like it..... :o

I'm sorry (if someone has to moderate me).... :cringe:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #34 on: Dec 05, 2009, 07:21:20 PM »
White can scuff sometimes. Oak looks good even if it gets distressed a bit.

You can see in the pictures how the white stuff looks tacky.  It may be just because it's old or maybe because it's been painted and stripped so many times.   Probably both.  I'm hoping the oak won't do that.

Dianna, we were told the last people who lived here kept goats in the house.  The orange shag carpet was filthy.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #35 on: Dec 09, 2009, 12:23:10 PM »
I love the idea of solid wood stairs and wrought iron.  It just sounds amazing!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #36 on: Dec 14, 2009, 08:09:26 AM »

Past "tetched" then. Sick as hell is more like it..... :o

is this from the takes one to know one line of thinking?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #37 on: Dec 14, 2009, 08:25:10 AM »
So, when I first spoke to the stair person we had an agreement that he'd come every day until the job is completed.  I made that perfectly clear because our bedrooms are upstairs for one thing and I don't want to drag this job out.  He was ok with that.  He didn't come Friday.  He called and said he knew we had an agreement but he needed to go to the doctor (which can happen to anyone) and that he'd work Saturday and Sunday to make up for it.  So Saturday he showed up at 11:00 in his personal vehicle and without his helper.  I didn't see any tools.  He did however, bring his dog, which he promptly let into my house.  I am an animal lover and really don't mind nice, clean, well behaved dogs (which she is) in my house but not when I'm paying a person to work.  I left to meet my mom and when I called to see how things were going at 3:00 he was already back at home.  He lives an hour from my house so he must have left right after I did.  He didn't come yesterday.  Johnny called him last night and told him not to bring his dog and he said that he kept her outside and Johnny told him not to bring her anyway.  I can't imagine finding someone else to complete this job because he's got so much torn out.  We've asked him to  do a few more things around the house but when he's finished with this I'm going to tell him to forget it and I'm going to tell him why.

Jessica

« Reply #38 on: Dec 14, 2009, 09:51:46 AM »
You sure have a heck of time finding good workers, Sheri.  I hope he finishes this for you soon!

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #39 on: Dec 14, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »
Since we've moved into this house we've had nothing but weirdo workers.  I've liked them all except for this one.  The first one, Raymond, was a nice guy and a decent worker.  One weekend though, he broke into our house and told us about it later.  He said he broke in because he was hungry and we didn't find anything missing but I didn't trust him after that.  We kept having him work but one night Johnny got a call from his jail.  He had been arrested for breaking into a friends house and he needed bail.  He said he broke in to retrieve HIS stereo that he hand LOANED this friend.  Johnny didn't post bail and we never heard from him again.

The 2nd one was Jack who couldn't stand to work if it was chilly.  If we're at home we work right along with these people and Jack wanted to stay in the house if it was below 70 degrees.   He needed to work and showed up one day and all I had for him to do was to blow leaves.  It was cold.  He did the job but said he couldn't work for me anymore except for inside work so we've never seen him again.  The funny story on him is one day I came home from work and told him I had a headache.  He said "I've got drugs in the car.  Do you want some?"

Somewhere in the mix is the guy that brought his daughter for me to babysit while he worked and the guy that Johnny (bless his heart) picked up at the convenience store up the road who didn't have a shirt on who didn't have a car or a phone who tried and I do mean tried to build our screened in porch. 

Our problem is Johnny.  If someone tells him a sad story and that they're looking or work he brings them home.

I found and hired Nixon, who came and finished one job and was supposed to come back last Easter week to start another.  Oh well.  And then their was the painter who had the heart attack in our bathroom and the carpenter who got shot in the  hand by his neighbor before he could finish the crown molding in the bathroom.

Like I said though, I've liked them all except this last guy.

Jessica

« Reply #40 on: Dec 14, 2009, 02:29:21 PM »
Sheri, you should write a book.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #41 on: Dec 15, 2009, 11:01:56 AM »
I keep telling that to Johnny.  Since we moved into this house it's been like living in a book.  Sometimes a scary book but mostly a funny one.  I have wanted to hire a contractor from the beginning and get things done but Johnny likes giving the "local workers" a chance.  Problem is a lot of the local workers are out of work because they are alcoholics or drug addicts or gangsters.  He'll met someone at the BP station or at the restaurant at the top of the hill and start talking and find out this guy is out of work and has 3 children and a sick wife, and the next minute this dude is working at our house.  Problem is these type of people work until they get $20.00 and then don't come back until they need $20.00 more so things have been half done.    But one guy did have a heart attack and one got shot in the hand so I suppose you really can't help that sort of thing.

Todd Parker came to burn a bunch of leaves and trash, set it on fire, and left.  The man painting our barn, thank God, called 911 and let the dogs out of their pens.  I got a call at work and when I got home the fire had burnt the black top on the highway and had burned about 4 acres back toward the barn.  Todd Parker came back and said "oh, I had to go to Indian Trail for a while but I dug a trench around it."  Guess the trench wasn't deep enough.  If the painter man (I don't even know where he came from) hadn't been there our dogs would have been killed and the barn would have definitely burned down and maybe the house.

Johnny is a piece of work.

Jessica

« Reply #42 on: Dec 15, 2009, 11:30:51 AM »
Maybe these people have heard about Johnny so they make stories up just so they can come work at your house. :giggle:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #43 on: Dec 15, 2009, 11:33:24 AM »
 :rofl1:

Jessica

« Reply #44 on: Dec 15, 2009, 11:34:54 AM »
They probably know the places he frequents so they hang out there and wait for him.  They are thinking....I'm going to give this sucker a sob story and he will take me home with him and pay me to do something, anything.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #45 on: Dec 15, 2009, 01:03:18 PM »
Yep.  If I needed a few dollars I'd hit Johnny up.  I'd involve at least 1 child in my story.  He's a sucker for stories that involve a child.

Jessica

« Reply #46 on: Dec 15, 2009, 01:11:01 PM »
I don't really believe what I said, Sheri. But it sounds like a good idea. :giggle:  If I am in need of money, I will hitch hike my way there and look for Johnny.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #47 on: Dec 15, 2009, 01:35:53 PM »
Just look pitiful and he'll find you.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 15, 2009, 01:43:35 PM »
Johnny is a really great guy. Be glad that you you married someone with a heart, Sheri. I think you try to hide yours, but I believe you have something other than a thumping gizzard, too... :grinnnn:

One thing that worries me is that he may trust too much. I wouldn't be trusting so many people to be in and out my house or on the property. :o  Especially without knowing them really well. Just call me paranoid... :giggle:
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2009, 01:45:28 PM by Dianna »

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #49 on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:58:32 PM »
I think the stairs are lovely just as they are, but I think it would be a little busy to look at everyday.
This is me ->?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal