Author Topic: Frostbite in Pets?  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Frostbite in Pets?
« on: Feb 12, 2010, 05:38:40 PM »
With the rare snow we are getting, I am finding out that I have a question that I never had to worry about before. :ScratchHead: Angel has been playing a little on the deck where it has accumulated about an inch and I am wondering if she could get frostbite on her paws since she doesn't have any boots to put on. Could any other body parts on her get frostbitten? Is it possible? Should I keep her in out of the snow, period?
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
Re: Frostbite in Pets?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2010, 05:50:24 PM »
I'm sure she could get frostbite if she stood in one place too long. Somehow, I don't think Your Angel will do that.  hysteria
I don't thiink you need to keep her out of the snow all together - she does need to go out to do her business - but I wouldn't leave her to play in it for long periods, not only due to the snow but its downright cold out there and she hasn't much of a coat.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2010, 05:50:57 PM »
Yes, they can get frost bite but most of the time you do not have to worry about it, Dianna. She will come in long before she allows herself to get that far. You mostly only have to worry if you do not give your pets options like out hiking and they can't get in to warm up. But it is nice of you to worry about her little feet.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2010, 06:00:54 PM »
Thanks, Ladies. I have never had to worry about it before so never thought to ask the question. I can't have anything happen to my little Angel that can be prevented on my part. I would never forgive myself... :)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2010, 07:34:17 PM »
These are clickables:

She is just like a child wanting to run in and out all the time. :giggle: I'm scared to leave her out for too long...

She loves her ball... :grinnnn:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »
I am soooo jealous!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2010, 07:40:07 PM »
I would give all this snow to you if I could, Triss. :grinnnn: I don't like cold and seeing snow makes me even colder... :freezin:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2010, 08:31:34 PM »
Thank you for the pics, Dianna. Angel is having a ball with her ball and with the snow. Really if you think about it, it is nice she doesn't mind it out there. Or you would be steam cleaning for weeks to come......
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2010, 08:37:55 PM »
Yes, Tina is right. I have that problem with my dogs and rain. Don't know about snow, they've never seen it.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:43:46 PM »
I let her out to potty in her yard a bit ago. She wasn't too crazy about having to squat and the snow touching her bottom... :giggle:

If she wants to play out there in the morning, I will make her wear her sweater...

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:51:43 PM »
that is too cute dianna.  my outside cat is not amused.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2010, 01:42:23 PM »
ToDeTa doesn't like to get her feet wet either.  We have to carry her and sit her down for her to go outside if it's cold or wet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal