Author Topic: Pond Problems  (Read 7192 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Pond Problems
« on: Feb 27, 2010, 08:41:22 AM »
I went outside just a minute ago to check on Samson and Delilah before we left on our trip, and this is what I found... :yikes:

Poor babies didn't have but about two inches of water in there with them, but they sure gave me a run for my money when I was trying to catch them to put them in the other pond... :giggle:

We don't have time to hang around here waiting to see if the pond will leak when we refill it. Since the second pond has been going all summer long, I am hoping that the pond change won't be a shock to them. :SmileyQmarks: Can anyone reassure me that the fish will be all right in the new pond until I get back home to find out what is going on with the original pond? :unsure:

Why do things like this happen when you are too busy to mess with it? :razberry:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
Re: Pond Problems
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2010, 08:50:41 AM »
What happened to the water?
This is me ->?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2010, 09:31:21 AM »
It looks like it sprung a leak. I think your fish will be alright in an established pond. Especially if they have someplace to hide from predators.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2010, 01:22:58 PM »
Oh no Dianna, a leaky pond and right when you are headed out.  I do think they will be ok in the new pond since it has been up and running for quite a while.  Hope the fix on their pond is an easy one.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2010, 03:02:17 PM »
i think they will be fine.  and, if you one pond is leaky, you might can make a bog garden out of it!  but i love your set up, and i thought (until these pics) that the "bridge" went over one large one.  now i see how you did it.  very neat, and very inspiring.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2010, 10:26:54 PM »
I am not sure if it sprung a leak or if the water was blown out by the wind. The fountain spouted over the top of the pond, so that is a possibility, I think. But then, it sure has blown out a lot if that is it because there is only about two inches of water in that pond (or was when I left). We will figure it out when we get home... :BigGrin:

If it is a hole that leaked out the water, what do I use to patch it with? I plan on keeping two ponds going out there, even if I have to buy another one... :wink5:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2010, 10:31:57 PM »
You can patch it with PVC glue and almost any plastic as a patch. Thicker than plastic wrap from your kitchen but pliable. My pond is just lined with plastic on a roll (not sure of the actual thickness. But the roll plastic wasn't wide enough so we 'glued' several sheets together to make it wide enough using PVC glue. It has held for about 19 years (20?).

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2010, 10:39:03 PM »
Thank you, Tina. I really wanted to keep my pond going, if it was possible... :grinnnn:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2010, 10:49:40 PM »
Slather on the red hot blue glue around the hole when you find it (clean the area first and use a little vinegar if you have buildup on it) Then slap plastic on the glue to cover. It is easy cheap and will work. If it is a visible place and you don't want blue it comes in a clear alternative too.
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2010, 12:11:55 AM by Tina »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2010, 10:55:09 PM »
Will do, Tina. :good2: Thank you... :NewHug:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:08:33 PM »
I went out to check on Samson and Delilah today to make sure they survived the transfer. They weren't floating on top, so I was relieved. I did take the net and swoop around a bit until I could see them in there, though, to make sure something hadn't gotten them while we were gone... :wink5:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2010, 12:54:54 PM »
have you had a chance to fix the leak?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »
Have you had a chance to find the leak?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:20:47 PM »
Haven't had a chance to fix or find the leak. It is wet and cold outside. I will not be messing with water unless it is at least 70°. :freezin:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »
While we were working outside today, we went ahead and checked out the pond. I cleaned the filter and pump, scrubbed on the sides a bit, and then filled it back up. Jim took the "bell" off the pump box and, hopefully, that will cure the leak. I have my fingers crossed that it was the wind that blew the water out...

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:47:34 PM »
I sure hope that is all that it was... no more winds and no more leaks.  Looks so nice.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:49:15 PM »
fingers crossed for you!

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »
That looks so nice and hopefully thats all it was.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2010, 07:10:29 PM »
It has been more than windy so I guess that's possible.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2010, 10:25:04 AM »
Since we have refilled the pond, we haven't had any problems with water loss. Guess it was the wind, thank goodness. I am just glad I noticed it was empty before we left for Florida... :grinnnn:

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2010, 11:01:11 AM »
me too dianna.  but i have a question.  are those solar pumps you have out there?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #21 on: Mar 20, 2010, 11:13:46 AM »
I am glad it wasn't a leak, Dianna.
Yes, those are solar pumps, Jenn. They have gotten more reasonably priced over the years too. I've looked. My pond is too shady though to make them practical.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2010, 05:26:16 PM »
I am glad it wasn't a leak, Dianna.
Yes, those are solar pumps, Jenn. They have gotten more reasonably priced over the years too. I've looked. My pond is too shady though to make them practical.
mine is not.  i will be looking into them this year.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 20, 2010, 06:27:02 PM »
Unh uh. The pumps aren't solar, Tina. Wires are pretty much hidden by the water and the rock we have there. We have electricity out there... :wink5:

If you look at the second picture, you will see the green electricity outlet by the pond...
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010, 06:29:54 PM by Dianna »

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #24 on: Mar 20, 2010, 07:03:20 PM »
Then  what is the round thing that looks like a solar collector, Dianna?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal