Author Topic: #4 Bird/Critter in the spotlight flying squirrel  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
#4 Bird/Critter in the spotlight flying squirrel
« on: Mar 19, 2010, 07:51:19 AM »
When we first moved to this house we had a bunch off flying squirrels. Marton asked me why the chipmunks were out on the bird feeders so late at night. Then I saw his 'chipmunks' and told him to look closer.{giggle} One night he went to bring a feeder in and the little guy was still holding onto it! well, then my outdoor cats showed up & they disappeared. Now that the cats are gone my little nocturnal buddies are back!

Northern flying squirrel

((my mouse if freaking out, if anyone wants to add to this feel free))
These rodents are 10-14" long. They live across Canada and some of the northern parts of the US. They do have a southern cousin who looks very similar/ There is a flap of skinthat stretches from their front to their back feet.When they jump from a branch they glide down {fly} to where theyre going. They are usually nocturnal and have big dark eyes for seeing at night.
The southern species range runs down the eastern 1/2 of the US

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
Re: #4 Bird/Critter in the spotlight flying squirrel
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2010, 07:57:38 AM »
Awww, arent they cute!

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2010, 08:01:27 AM »
I don't think they're cute.  I've never seen one in person and hope I never do.

Jessica

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2010, 09:30:54 AM »
James and I were sitting outside of his mom and dad's one night waiting for his sister.  Something flew past us pretty low to the ground. It the tree and ran up it. It had to have been a flying squirrel but it was dark and we couldn't see that well. It was so quick. I had never seen one before.  Creepy.  I wouldn't care to have them in my yard.  They would freak me out.  But, maybe not either.  I don't have them so I don't know.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2010, 10:02:39 AM »
They look kind of cool to me but if I got 'buzzed' by one it might freak me out a little too. Cool critter, Wrennie.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2010, 04:58:33 PM »
I used to see the southern version all the time when I was a kid. But I don't see them anymore. Heck I don't even see very many squirrells. May have to do with all the cats the neighbor has.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2010, 08:20:40 PM »
very cool wrennie.  and like you barb, they were more plentiful when we were kids.  saw lots of them..  not so many these days.  but i don't see many squirrels either.  i had lived in this house over 2 years before i saw the first one in my yard!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2010, 08:30:04 AM »

I vote on the cute side. Mine must be small or else they just seem smaller when not 'flying'. If you do google them though, you will get a lot of sites on how to get rid of squirrels.
Heres an interesting bit of info I found;
Northern flying squirrels, along with pine squirrels, are an important prey species for the endangered Spotted Owl Strix occidentalis. They also disseminate spores of the ectomycorrhizal fungi that they eat, and these are essential to many species of conifer and some deciduous trees. Other predators include various other owls, especially the Great Horned Owl, hawks, the American Marten, the Canadian Lynx and the Red Fox.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2010, 08:32:43 AM »
Thats a great close up Wren....did you take that?

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2010, 08:37:21 AM »
Nope, google image.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2010, 08:37:50 AM »
Nope, google image.

Its really good.....whoever took it.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2010, 09:20:08 AM »
I think they look cute, too, Wrennie.

First time I ever saw one was in Imokkolee, Florida. It came swooshing down out of a tree and took a nut out of my hand while I was sitting on my host's steps. I was fascinated by the little critter... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2010, 09:23:35 AM »
Oh cool. They dont come over to us yet. The Chipmunks remembered us from last summer and came right up to us looking for peanuts.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2010, 07:15:23 AM »

he is cute when not flying.

Offline UNCLEG

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2010, 08:37:59 AM »
Flying squirrels are great, I have hand raised several for release into the wild.  They are very intersting animals to watch.  I have some friends who had one as house pet, he had the run of the house.  However they can be quite messy and have the oder of a rat.  They also will nip at you playfully, but sometime draw blood.  I'm not a big fan of house pets so the ones I have raised have been released.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2010, 09:07:59 AM »
First time I saw one I was up a telephone pole. When I opened the terminal I though it was a bat. Needless to say they didn't win me over.

Thought for today:
When life hands you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.
This is me ->?

Jessica

« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2010, 09:35:58 AM »
Thought for today:
When life hands you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

:giggle:  Good idea!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal