Author Topic: Anyone know what this is?  (Read 4611 times)

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
Anyone know what this is?
« on: Nov 07, 2009, 07:52:55 PM »
I saw these while at Pier Park today. One is green with white flowers. One has deep purple in the leaves with purple flowers (obviosly spent purple flowers in this pic). They are obviously variations of the same plant and I would love to have a couple of these on my property. I have a funny feeling though, based on where they were, that they will need full sun to thrive, which I don't have anywhere on my property.  :ScratchHead:

Again, taken with cell phone. That's as big as they get.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
Re: Anyone know what this is?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2009, 07:54:21 PM »
How funny, they ended up being clickable, but the image isn't any bigger!  :laugh1:
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
I am wondering if they are a type of yucca? :ScratchHead:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2009, 08:45:17 PM »
I'm wondering if they are some kind of crinum.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2009, 09:00:30 PM »
Possibly. These plants were over 3 ft tall and just as bigg around. One flower would be as big as, if not bigger than my hand. They are very large plants. I should have made my daughter stand by one. I also should have gotten a closer shot I guess.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2009, 09:02:34 PM »
Well, the green looked a lot like a crinum to me. But I have never seen a purple leaved crinum so I am not totally sure by any stretch.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2009, 09:04:49 PM »

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2009, 09:21:23 PM »
I'm still not sure. All those pics show the stems and stamens (is that what they're called) on the white flowers are purple and the plant with green leaves. The green one in the pic above had NO purple anwhere, only the purple one. Although the purple one looks like the flower petal were white, before wilting.  I may have to make another trip down there just to check these out closer. The purple one looks to me to be the crinum. Not sure on the other one. I hate guessing games. lol

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2009, 09:37:49 PM »
Crinums can come in a variety of flower colors and a couple of different shapes. Some spidery, some trumpet and some that look a lot like lily of the nile (agapanthus). They also cross with real amarulus for amarcrinums and they cross with something else that doesn't come to mind right now.
All of that being said, I am still not convinced that yours are crinums.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2009, 09:54:14 PM »
After googling yucca, I don't believe they are yucca's, either, after seeing some close up pictures of them... ::)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
i'm thinking something in the crinum family.  reminds me of some i see around here all the time.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
Re: Anyone know what this is? - Solved: Giant Crinums
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2009, 08:01:02 AM »
I have about decided they are the Giant Crinums. The purple one looks exacly like the pics from the site Tina linked above. And the other one is identicle with the exception of the colors. And as I suspected they need a lot more sun than what I get anwhere on my property.  :unsure:

Thanks to everyone for helping figure it out!

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2009, 11:57:45 AM »
I have crinums in the shade, Barb. If they get any dappled sun at all they should do pretty well.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2009, 01:50:46 PM »
I'll have to examine the property closely to see if there is a spot that gets more than an hour of even dappled sun (other than the driveway and drain field).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal