Author Topic: Bird/critter in the spotlight #6, Sharp shinned Ha  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Bird/critter in the spotlight #6, Sharp shinned Ha
« on: Apr 24, 2010, 07:18:48 AM »
A small hawk, the Sharp-shinned Hawk is a regular visitor to bird feeders, where it eats birds, not seed. The male and female show a greater disparity in size than any other American hawk; the female is nearly twice the weight of the male.
from; http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Sharp-shinned_Hawk/id

I was sitting at my picnic table watching the birds at the feeder, maybe 15 feet away from me. When suddenly ZOOM   :shock: a Sharpie zipped in past the feeders and around the front of the house. Hmm, no flying feathers so I guess he didn't get anyone. We have a shade tent frame over the picnic table. A few minutes later a bird lands over my shoulder, I could see the shadow, I thought must be a grackle cause its big. I started to turn to look, and it was the hawk!He took off and flew the other way & off he went. He was only about 2 feet from landing on my shoulder!

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Bird/critter in the spotlight #6, Sharp shinned Ha
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2010, 09:55:44 AM »
Wow, A pretty friendly bird for a predator. Sizing you up for a meal?
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2010, 02:42:34 PM »
wow.  and it looks like we have them here too in winter. i'll be on the look out next year.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2010, 03:55:56 PM »
I watch out for hawks when Angel is outside. She hops so much that I am afraid that they would mistake her for a bunny rabbit... :cringe:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2010, 03:04:35 PM »
The day this guy was hunting he came in low and all the birds flew UP the tree to hide in the branches. Last evening I was on the front stoop and he flew into the MIDDLE of the branches to be where they were running to!! Its a pine with ALOT of inner growt, so once again he missed. Wish he'd eat the voles!!

I went to town last evening to get soda, was about 1/10 of a mile from my house and there perched in a tree next to the road, overlooking the stream was a mature bald eagle! I raced Home and got Marton so he could see. We sat parked in the middle of the road, a car came & went around us. I bet they thought we were jerks, then they saw the Eagle and turned around to watch him(her?) with us!

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »
Wonderful. A great story.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal