Author Topic: Things I Learned in the South  (Read 4305 times)

Jessica

Re: Things I Learned in the South
« Reply #25 on: Jun 02, 2010, 10:28:53 AM »
Sheri, you probably don't hear it because you have one yourself.  I don't know that because I have never heard you talk but I would imagine you do.....well to Penny and I anyway.  And you would probably think we have an accent.....which we don't. :giggle:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #26 on: Jun 02, 2010, 10:45:15 AM »
Nope.  No accent here.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #27 on: Jun 02, 2010, 04:39:56 PM »
Nope.  No accent here.

One of these days, I'm gonna call you :phone3:, and i bet there is one :giggle:!!

And Jess is right, to us, you do have one, i even noticed when we were in New York, they all had accents when we went into the city......heck even Wrennie had a small one too  :giggle:

Jessica

« Reply #28 on: Jun 02, 2010, 04:54:47 PM »
New Yorkers have a different accent than the rest of the country if you ask me.  But it is a strong one.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #29 on: Jun 02, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »
I lived in NY, in Westchester county just above The City. I needed an interpreter for some people from some boroughs. I am told I have an accent. Ask Jenn.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #30 on: Jun 02, 2010, 08:53:26 PM »
I hear a southern accent in some of my friends and in Shelley.  They must be really bad for me to hear it when I've got it too.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: Jun 02, 2010, 09:51:10 PM »
tina sounds like southern cal.  i never noticed that southern cal had a "sound" until i realized that i have 2 friends from there, and they sound like they could be sisters.

sheri and dianna have southern accents, as do i, but we all sound different.  different parts of the south have different accents. but you have to go around the different places to know it.  i think south alabama has one of the thickest.

but, i get told all the time on the phone at work "you must not be from savannah, you don't have that kind of accent".  of course i don't.  i'm from northwest florida.  barb can tell you what kind of accent my folks have :giggle:  but we are all southern.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #32 on: Jun 02, 2010, 11:23:06 PM »
I know my accent is colored by my Chicago born mother and my Connecticut bred step-dad. I can hear some of it in myself. I also have a lisp, sort of, all my own.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #33 on: Jun 03, 2010, 07:02:15 AM »
I know I've told the story on here where 2 of my friends, one born here the other from Mexico City with a thick Spanish accent, went to Vegas and tried to get the black doorman to get them a cab.  They had decided that the US born friend would do all the talking so everyone could understand her but the doorman couldn't understand a thing she said.  After asking several times for a cab and the doorman saying "what?" the Mexican born friend said "please get us a taxi" and he said "oh.  ok."

And when the Mexican born friend and I went to Jamaica she couldn't understand a thing and they couldn't understand her.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #34 on: Jun 03, 2010, 07:20:33 AM »
 :giggle: Cute story Sheri.

Offline UNCLEG

« Reply #35 on: Jun 03, 2010, 03:47:33 PM »
From SC born and raised...yes things do move slower in the South, life is to short not to slow down and take it all in.   Southern wedding reception in church fellowship hall = boring.  Wedding reception at off site from wedding = PARTY!   :beer3:  :dancingbunny:  :9536:    Love it here!

PS  I know were HWY 52 is!!

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #36 on: Jun 04, 2010, 11:45:59 AM »
You can go anywhere if you can get to Hwy 52 and just stay right.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal