Gardening > Ponds

ARG!

(1/3) > >>

landofoz:
So I have a pond at my old house.  My old house is for sale and no one wants it.   :Crybaby2: :Crybaby2:  This grieves me (and my pocketbook) deeply.   :crying:  The old house has a pond that, obviously have been neglected since we moved out.  It is a small pond but we've kept the pump running.  My husband lacks the ability to follow directions and froze my $30 water lily.  It was smush and goo when I found it.  So the pond has been empty.  I added some fish a few weeks ago.  So now the pond has 3 fish and well over 200 snails in it (the "good" kind of snail).  It was full of algae, so the girls and I went over and cleaned it out.  Pulling out the algae and picking out all the snails 'cause Lindsay couldn't bear to have a single one die.  The pond is still dirty.  I don't know what to do.  There are bits of algae stuck to the side - big bits!  And the water is gross looking.  I have a filter/pump running and I cleaned it all out.  I don't have a lot of faith that it's going to clean up the water.  I also brought 4 water hyacinths and a couple horn worts to toss in the water.  Any suggestions for getting it cleaner or do you think the pump will do the job?  :unsure:

Jessica:
I think there is something that Laura (loz) puts in hers to clear it up but I'm not sure what it is called.  Maybe somebody will come along with more info.

Tina:
I do not have your answer, Sarah. I did want to say that water hyacinths are one of my wet favorites. But every time I have put them in my pond the raccoons have come and fished them out and eaten them. Apparently they are a favorite  for them too. (food)

bayou girl:
sarah, the water hyacinths and the pump combined should clear it up pretty good.  when i had water hyacinths, i had a nice clean, clear pond.  now, i have a muddy puddle but my water lily survived the snow and is growing nicely! :giggle:

landofoz:
I went and checked on the pond while picking up a prescription for Adam.  The water is definitely more clear but now I can see all the junk at the bottom of the shallow end.  How do you guys get the gunk out?

The water hyacinths are lovely plants.  I love how thick the leaves and kinda bulby at the base.  I bought 4 of them 'cause i knew they spread fast.  I'm wondering just how fast is fast though...   :ScratchHead: 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version