Author Topic: Placement of Bulbs  (Read 1898 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Placement of Bulbs
« on: Aug 20, 2010, 06:27:48 AM »
Walmart is having their end of season sale.  Now I need help with my purchases lol.

I have a couple of bald patches in my sidewalk bed where I don't have any plants currently.  and I'd like to make clusters of what I bought but I can't figure out how.  I know sounds funny right?

I'd appreciate some help.  Here is what I've bought.

30 purple crocuses "Flower Record", 30 white crocuses "Jeanne D'Arc", 15 Tulips "Double Early Mixed", 15 Daffodils "King Alfred Type".

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: Placement of Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2010, 08:09:42 AM »
 hysteria  When I read the topic I thought you were talking about light bulbs and was going to post that Johnny got some special ones in the mail the other day that say they have an 11 year bulb life.  They were free.  He got a box of 8 for free. 

11 years 12,000 hours extra long life compact flourescent light bulb. Flicker free.  Saves $68.00 in energy.  The box has his name on it or "current resident."  Go figure.

Not to change the subject.

To the subject at hand.  I love crocuses but here they don't last long and they are so tiny if you don't plant a lot in one spot they aren't noticed.  Here the crocus bloom way before everything else.  Can you cluster all bulbs together?  Like the daffs in the middle (since they'll last the longest and be the latest), then the tulips, then the crocus.  In sort of a circular pattern.  Does that make sense.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2010, 08:19:05 AM »
it does.  But I don't have a bald spot quite that big.  The bed is 33 feet long and 2 feet wide.  and there are maybe 3 bald spots where plants didn't come back that I was expecting to. 

I know this is impossible without pictures isn't it?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2010, 08:20:22 AM »
Yes in groups of at least 10 but 15 is better. And in 'front' of the bed because they are so small. Tulips in clusters of 3 or 5 and in the middle of the bed. And the daffs the same. King Alfred types are about my favorites.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2010, 09:06:14 AM »
Ok I filled in the bald spot between the mums and the amaranth, between the golden azalea and the amaranth, and from the peruvian daffodil and the ditch lilies.  I zigzagged the daffodils and tulips and then did an alternating puple and white boarder of the crocuses. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2010, 09:09:35 AM »
Good going, Tammy. You will have a lovely border next spring.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2010, 08:53:24 AM »
I keep working at it lol.  It seems crazy the amount of money I have invested in ornamental plants but I do love them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal