Author Topic: Reynold's/Food Saver Vacuums  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Reynold's/Food Saver Vacuums
« on: Aug 23, 2010, 09:32:15 AM »
I am curious as to how many of us have the little vacuum devices that help you with your putting up of frozen foods. What kind do you have? Do you use them for everyday, too, for just leftovers and such? Do you have problems finding the vacuum bags for the unit? :SmileyQmarks:

I have the Reynold's device and it has been discontinued. Thankfully, Tina told me that I could use the ZipLoc brand bags for the same unit since I couldn't find any around here. Thanks a lot, Tina...:NewHug:

I have used mine all summer long to put peas up for the freezer. I am just starting to use it for leftovers and such. What else could I use the vacuum for? I don't want to just save it for the freezing part of the garden...:)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Reynold's/Food Saver Vacuums
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2010, 09:42:57 AM »
I bought the Reynold's brand because the bags were cheaper. So I was looking at ongoing costs. I really like it but only use it to freeze things that I worry about storing for long and for getting freezer burned. I still just plunk short term things into my freezer in any old bag and plunk it in.
I do have a trick I use for storing wet foods. The directions will tell you to lay your bag on a counter to suction things but not to allow juicy stuff or gravy, etc to get into the works. That is a tricky thing. So when I was doing sliced pot roast with gravy (for instance) I held the bag upright against my kitchen cabinet to use the machine. It got the air out and I was able to watch for the fluid moving up towards the suction corner. I was pleased with the results.
Now that I am mostly cooking for one I store a lot of food. This makes life better.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Jessica

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2010, 10:00:21 AM »
I have been searching for one.  I can't find one. :(  I have looked at 3 different grocery stores, Target and Wal-Mart.  No luck.

Offline Ariel

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2010, 11:35:48 AM »
Ive been wanting one but you can use it on meat as well!
"A Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help another up" -Anonymous

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2010, 07:08:57 PM »
You can use it on anything you freeze. I will add that the Food Saver one says the bags that we use are for refrigerator, not freezer. I guess they think the round spot where we suck the air out could leak air?? I will also say that I use it for freezing things and have had no problems. And the ziploc bags work with mine also. And are much much cheaper.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2010, 07:04:44 AM »
I do have a trick I use for storing wet foods. The directions will tell you to lay your bag on a counter to suction things but not to allow juicy stuff or gravy, etc to get into the works. That is a tricky thing. So when I was doing sliced pot roast with gravy (for instance) I held the bag upright against my kitchen cabinet to use the machine. It got the air out and I was able to watch for the fluid moving up towards the suction corner. I was pleased with the results.

Thanks for sharing that tip with me, Tina... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2010, 07:01:07 AM »
Are Barb, Tina, Jennifer, and I the only ones that have these little gadgets? :ScratchHead: I figured everyone would have one... :unsure:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2010, 12:06:57 PM »
I have one... keep forgetting to get bags for it though.  When I have the bags, I use it to portion out meats when I buy them in the huge family packs.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Jessica

« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2010, 12:12:54 PM »
I am determined to find one.  I might have to just order one online.  That is the only place I have been able to find them.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2010, 07:42:27 AM »
I looked at those awhile ago, and i use Ziplock freezer bags, so i decided not to get one..........my MIL has one though, and she loves her's.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal