Author Topic: Browsing the Recipe Books  (Read 2596 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Browsing the Recipe Books
« on: Sep 05, 2010, 10:29:17 AM »
Our library is making a cook book with recipes contributed by local people.  I love the idea.  I bought the one they made last year and this year I'm contributing 16 recipes.  I told them to contact me if they needed more recipes.  I've been collecting them since about 2006 and it's amazing how many I've gotten in that short amount of time. 

Of course while I was looking through what I had I came upon some favorites that I haven't had in a while.  So tonight I'm having the wilted romaine and bacon salad.  So yum! 

I've kind of forgotten about salads since I'm been on strike about the price of tomatoes.  So it will be nice to have a fresh salad. 

Do you have an old favorites that you haven't made in awhile?

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Re: Browsing the Recipe Books
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2010, 11:45:18 AM »
My mom used to make a casserole with chicken water chestnuts broccoli and I dont know what else in it that I loved. I have no idea of the recipe and haven't found one that sounds familiar. {sigh} Some day I'll stumble across it!

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2010, 12:10:30 PM »
Like this, Wrennie?
Ingredients:

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
      2 cups uncooked Minute Rice
      2 (10-ounce) packages chopped broccoli
      1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
      1 small onion, chopped
      1 (15-ounce) jar Cheez Whiz
      Butter to grease the dish
      1 (5-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the chicken breasts in a large lidded pot and add 1 inch water. Cook over medium-high heat, covered, until flesh is opaque, about 20 minutes. Remove the chicken breasts from the water and cut into bite-size pieces.
Meanwhile, prepare the rice according to package directions; set aside. Prepare the broccoli according to package directions; drain and set aside. (Alternatively, you can simply thaw the broccoli. As long as it is not frozen, it will cook in the casserole.)
For the sauce, in a saucepan, heat the chicken soup, onion and Cheez Whiz with 1 cup water. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the rice.
To assemble the casserole, butter a large casserole dish or a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Spread half the chicken over the bottom of the dish, then top with half the broccoli and half the water chestnuts. Spread with half the sauce and rice mixture. Repeat the layers with the remaining chicken, broccoli, water chestnuts and sauce. Bake for 45 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly and the top is lightly browned.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2010, 12:38:13 PM »
I definitely am a seasonal cook. I cook more in cooler weather and next to nothing in summer. I love reading about food all year long but am not nearly as hungry or given to cravings in summer other than a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. I have to make more of an effort to balance my dining in summer. Remembering to add  some meat once or twice a week. Grains and legumes a little more often.
I have changed my tastes as I've aged too. When I look at a recipe that I loved way back when and decide to make it again I am most often disappointed. So a lot of old favorites have gone by the wayside.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2010, 03:21:30 PM »
My tastes haven't really changed all that much to my knowledge.  I know the wilted romaine still tasted wonderful.  I couldn't wait to make it so I think I had it around breakfast time lol.  Crazy right?  I thought it was crazy as I was making it but it's what I wanted and it's pretty much healthy. 

I have a recipe for Steak Diane that I'll be making here in a couple of days when the steaks get defrosted.  Right now I'm using up the last of the chicken.  I'm thinking I'll cook them and put them in a tossed salad with grated cheese,  valdalia onions,  a touch of garlic, and chives.  ...can't wait for dinner lol.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2010, 10:33:12 PM »
duh, I think it must have been Ronnie and I who used to go to a restaurant (can't remember which) and have steak diane.  I don't know how to make it but I remember we went specially for that.

I cook the same recipes over and over.  Johnny isn't very daring with his food choices.  He likes plain cooking so that's what I do.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2010, 09:36:25 AM »
Like this, Wrennie?
Nope. She boiled a chicken first, then picked off all the meat, no cheese wiz ar anything cheddary in it. There may have been hard boiled egg sliced in it too , I'm pretty sure anyway. There may have been mayo in it too.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2010, 09:51:20 AM »
Ah, a hot chicken salad. Lots of recipes out there for that. And it may have had crumbled potato chips on top?

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »
Nope. It was a casserole, baked after the boiling part, then the other stuf added and baked.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2010, 10:09:19 AM »
Yes, hot chicken salad is just like that.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2010, 10:11:43 AM by Tina »

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2010, 10:19:07 AM »
oh, ok, google searching now.............

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2010, 04:48:16 PM »
it's suprising how one recipe can collect a number of different names.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2010, 04:49:26 PM »
maybe you could do daring things for lunch. 

Do you want the steak diane recipe that I have?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2010, 05:14:56 PM »
after reading about steak diane, i had to go look it up to see what it is.  i think i would like it, but too much work.  unless you make it paula dean's way. 
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Jessica

« Reply #14 on: Sep 06, 2010, 06:18:06 PM »
I have never heard of steak diane. I will have to look it up.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal