Author Topic: Lepto  (Read 3592 times)

Jessica

Lepto
« on: Sep 15, 2010, 12:22:04 PM »
This has nothing to do with fleas but thought I would share this.  It is possible that my friends dog has lepto.  It is from a bacteria found in wildlife urine and is contagious.  I called my vet about it and she said that Libby's distemper shot contains the vaccine for lepto also.  What a relief.  Our dogs are together all the time.  The blood test should be back today to find out for sure and then it is just a waiting game to see how much damage has been done I guess. She is on antibiotics now.  Just thought I would mention this for those of you with pets that have lots of wildlife around.  Humans can also get this. 

Here is some info on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospirosis

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Lepto
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2010, 12:45:36 PM »
How awful... I hope the blood test comes back negative.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Jessica

Lepto
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2010, 12:46:13 PM »
I do too.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Lepto
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »
Lepto is found in most freshwater creeks and lakes, too...I'm not big on vaccines, but I DO vaccinate my dogs for lepto before camping and such...
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Jessica

Lepto
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2010, 01:03:03 PM »
I had never even heard of lepto.  I called my vet after my friend called me and that is when she told me it is in with the distemper shot that she gets annually. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Lepto
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2010, 01:54:32 PM »
Yes, Black Butt is vaccinated for lepto and bordatella as well. I give him heartworm meds too. We do not live in a wet environment but there are critters galore around. And we get notices when any are trapped that are carrying diseases. Plague is the one that worries me most because there is not a vaccine to protect you. So flea control is a must.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
Lepto
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2010, 06:59:47 PM »
I keep my dogs up to date on heartworm, shots and flea remedy (Advantage).  I have never heard of lepto. We have had several reports of dogs being bitten/attacked by rabid racoons this summer. Not in this immediate area, but within 50 miles. I have a large cat population around here, so the racoons and squirrels are minimal on my property.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Lepto
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2010, 07:35:51 PM »
The raccoons here are not too worried about how many cats are around. They used to come up for the cats food on the porch and bring their babies too. They told the cats to back off. I stopped leaving food out for my cats.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
Lepto
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2010, 07:39:30 PM »
It may not be the cats, on one side the people have probably 10 cats that run wild basically. The neighbors on the other side have 3 very large dogs. Either way, I've not seen any raccoons, or any evidence of them, and for that I am thankful. Come to think of it, I had way more problems with racoons when I lived in Oregon, and I lived "in town" then.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Lepto
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2010, 10:39:39 PM »
i've seen more coons in town (in the actual city of savannah) and possums too, than here on my property. i say that, but they are around in the early  morning/late night here.  here, i just have possums, and generally, we don't bother them as long as they leave my cats alone.

but all my animals are vaccinated for rabies...
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Jessica

Lepto
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2010, 10:45:07 PM »
They are only a problem here when I have bird seed out in something that they can get into.  Coons that is.

Offline UNCLEG

Lepto
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2010, 03:00:18 PM »
DE can be found at most feed stores.  There or 2 grades, Food grade and ????.  You want to use the food grade.  It is safe I have actually ingested it myself.  I use it in my chicken feed to cut down on flys during the summer.  I also spread it in the henhouse to help cut down on mites and in the dust baths for the birds.

DE is made of crystallized plant material that is mined from ancient lake beds.  The crystallized plants cut the bodies of the insects causing them to die. It also helps with internal pest and when the DE is eliminated in the animal waste it continues to work on pest that are attracted to the waste.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Lepto
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2010, 10:10:49 PM »
i'll ahve to check our feed stores.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
Re: Lepto
« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2010, 07:01:49 AM »
I might have to find some of that just for the dogs' yard which is full of all kinds of bugs.

Jessica

« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2010, 09:44:54 AM »
My friend's dog does not have lepto.  The test came back negative.  They still don't know what is wrong with her.  Her liver is not good so she is on meds for that now.  They can't give her pain meds because they said it would make her liver worse.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:12:45 AM »
While I am glad she does not have Lepto, it sounds like there is something major wrong.  Praying they find out quickly.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #16 on: Sep 21, 2010, 01:14:08 PM »
I hope she is OK. I watch my dog when he is not acting normally. It is worrisome as he ages (10). I love him.

Jessica

« Reply #17 on: Sep 21, 2010, 02:01:34 PM »
The dog is Libby's sister.  They are 3.  I hope they can figure out what is wrong and get her better.  She is having a hard time even getting around right now.  It is sad.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: Sep 21, 2010, 05:41:29 PM »
that would be very worrisome.  and i can see that you are watching libby too.  praying for the pooch.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #19 on: Sep 21, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »
I've never heard of this.  You just never know when you get up in the morning...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal