Author Topic: Basil Basil Basil ...You just can't have too much!  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Patty S

Basil Basil Basil ...You just can't have too much!
« on: Mar 18, 2007, 02:43:19 PM »
I don't cook with Basil (Actually, I try my best not to cook at all!) ...but I've grown an abundance of it every year, for as long as I can remember. Before moving to Oregon, I lived in a northern region with a very short growing season, so I only grew vegetables. I focused a lot on companion planting, always planting basil along side my tomatoes, to keep the bugs away.

The Basil was always so pretty, that it didn't take long before I was just in love with it and started planting it every where! (That was before I moved to a place that actually has enough "summer" to raise flowers.) Now I plant them here and there among my flowers, and they're great for borders and behind low-growing ornamentals. 

Some plants don't do well in "hot" soil, but Basil certainly is NOT one of them! Getting them started can be touchy, and my observation has been that warm soil and lots of water are the keys to growing Basil from the seed stage and beyond, throughout the growing season. 

A couple years ago, an old rusty backhoe bucket sat in the blistering heat, in the field adjacent to our property. I got tired of looking at it, so I filled it with dirt and threw some seeds in. (I chose Basil and Cosmo seeds cuz that's what I had most of!) I was absolutely thrilled a few weeks later...
I've never seen Basil get so huge... SO FAST!

(In the process of transplanting those plants into my gardens, I noticed that the soil was almost uncomfortably warm in that big metal container.)

After starting Basil seeds indoors a few times last year, my seedlings always bit the dust, about 3 weeks later! This is about as far as they ever got after I'd planted them indoors and kept them under grow lights.

4/2/06
Two weeks after starting seeds indoors. (The following week they got leggy and died off!)

I wasted my time and had made 2 major mistakes... I planted them too early, and didn't provide adequate heat under the starter trays. Everything else I'd started indoors at the same time came out fine, but I think the little Basil sprouts had simply used up all their energy trying to thrive in what they thought was "cold" dirt!

When I remembered the backhoe bucket and how hot that soil was, I tried planting Basil seeds in copper pots. I set them out on our deck railing, where they would be in the sun during the day (and brought them indoors every night), in the middle of May. They took off like a shot! I was able to transplant them to the garden within just a few weeks.

6/28/06
 Two weeks after starting seeds outdoors in copper pots!
(Excuse the Quail in my Basil pot... he likes to ham it up!)

I'm not sure which other plants respond this way when their seeds/roots are in real warm soil, other than Sun flowers & Zinnias.

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 02:39:25 AM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

Re: Basil Basil Basil ...You just can't have too much!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2007, 02:55:46 PM »
Last year I had a whole garden section with many, many basil plants in it... I thought it was absolutely to die for! On really hot days, that basil would heat up, and if I was lucky enough to be in the yard when a gentle breeze came my way, the scent of that warm basil was like a sigh from heaven!

I had taken my basil obsession further than just working the plants into flower beds and borders, and decided to try creating a "Deer Barrier" along the outside of the chain-link fence that keeps the deer out of my veggie garden. (They can't get inside, but every year they've reached through with their nasty little tongues and pulled the tomato and melon vines though, so they could snack away!)  

I built a garden bed, about 2 feet wide, along the 20 foot length of the fence, and planted lots of purple, green & variegated Basil in it (along with Dill & Devil's Claw... because those are also plants that deer go out of their way to avoid).

It looked so cool when everything was in full flourish, and my "Deer Barrier" was a complete success! The critters turned away and gave that area a wide birth every time they passed through the field... My melons, cucumbers and tomatoes didn't suffer from one single nibble last year!

The long shot of the deer barrier didn't turn out very clear, so I'm throwing in a couple close-ups that did...

Green & purple Sweet Basil, with Dill & Devil's Claw.

Devil's Claw and Sweet Basil (...with a young Sun flower that the birds planted.)

I don't think I've bought Basil seeds for the past 10 years, because I harvest my own seeds every year. They seem to have an unlimited shelf life, as they remain viable for many years.

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 02:44:56 AM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2007, 03:05:07 PM »
Thanks for some timely information, Patty! I was just digging my basil seeds out to get 'em started. I guess I will be waiting a while now and direct-sow.... ;)

I love that picture of the quail in your copper pots! Did he eat any of them?

I guess I will be looking for more basil seeds to start a barrier around our garden this year. I will, also, be adding Irish Spring soap and human hair in there. The dad-blame deer ate more peas than we did last year!

I am declaring war on deer this year!

"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

MassMama

« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2007, 03:22:11 PM »
 :o Holy smokes Patty I didn't know basil was so great for keeping critters away!!

I love to cook but never use fresh basil or the dried stuff.. But this year I am going to try my hand at my first veggie garden and this stuff sounds like it is just the thing to add..

Does it detour wood chucks too? ???

Offline Patty S

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2007, 04:14:45 AM »
Sorry about your peas, Dianna, but it just shows to go ya that those deer aint stupid... I'd rather eat peas raw myself, (but I don't think I'd go so far as to eat the whole dad-blame plant!) HOW RUDE!

I've used hair from my hairbrush on the rose bushes, but there's never enough, cuz I have more rose bushes than I do hair! (It doesn't make for very impressive pics, anyway!) I'll be adding Anise to my deer barrier this year, cuz it's also a good deer repellent... & the purple should go really well with the different green tones of the Basil & the dill.

I love that picture of the quail in your copper pots!Did he eat any of them?
I really don't think so, but something was nibbling little holes in the basil, around the time the Quail were hanging around on our deck. Whatever was doing the snacking had stopped as abruptly as it started, but after she saw the pic Cindy got me to wondering if he was the culprit!

Rita, Good luck with your veggie garden this year! Apparently deer don't appreciate aroma therapy, so they steer clear of basil stands.(They would rather snack on more mild smelling things... like peas!) Dill, Devil's Claw, Marigolds & Anise are all in that same pungent, aromatic category.

**Basil keeps most of the "bad" bugs away (mosquitoes, tomato worms, aphids & flies), & also helps to prevent soilborne diseases & mold in veggie gardens.

**If you companion plant Basil with your tomatoes, they should be within 18" of each other. Be sure that the Basil is on the "sunny side" rather than in a spot where they'll be shaded by the tomato plant.

**The Basil flowers are pretty & they attract bees & butterflys, but don't let them go for very long before pinching them off. That will force energy back into the plant & make it last longer.

(Things I forgot to mention in my first posts!)

I let mine go ahead & flower toward the end of the growing season, so I can harvest the seeds... when the flower stalks start turning brown.

I potted up a couple of my best basil plants last fall & brought them in for the winter. Although they're reaching for more sun than we've been getting & are starting to get a bit leggy at this point, I plan to replant them in the garden as soon as our weather stops flip-flopping.

I'm hoping, since they've gotten a head start on their size, that they'll perk up & be basil bushes once they're back out in the warm air & sunshine!
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 02:57:43 AM by Patty S »

MassMama

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2007, 07:45:06 AM »
 8) Cool Thanks for the info Patty!! I will for sure be getting some.. I don't want any Vermin getting my Veggies >:(

Offline Patty S

« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2007, 11:47:38 AM »
I just knew there was something I was forgetting again!

Does it detour wood chucks too? ???
I've never had any dealings with plant-munchers such as wood chucks, so I really don't know if they like basil or not. Other than whatever was making itty bitty holes in my basil leaves for a week or so last year, I don't know of any vermin OR varmint who would have a hankering for something as strong as basil!

Do they really eat plants I thought wood chucks just chucked wood! As you can see from my latest pic, basil does very well in pots... (you can borrow them out of the garden in the evening & set them on your deck, to run mosquitoes off.)

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 03:02:29 AM by Patty S »

MassMama

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2007, 12:22:53 PM »
;) Hey that is a GREAT idea Patty.. Never really think of planting in pots.. I will however make sure it is an addition to my deck planters, where we spend most of our time in the summer time.. 8)

Ohhh Is there a certain type that is better than others? Or a variety that is stronger than others?

I wish they only chucked wood >:D they are plant munching machines :P

Offline Patty S

« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2007, 01:59:13 PM »
I have no idea if one type of basil is better/stronger than the other. I've never had any other kind, but I'd like to give the other types a try.

I can't even remember where (or when) I got my green basil, but I brought the seeds with me from Montana & just kept harvesting them every year so I wouldn't have to buy them again. A few years ago I bought a purple basil plant at our Saturday market, & when the 2 of them cross-pollinated, I wound up with what I call "variegated" ...(green with purple spots/purple with green spots.)

Original green        Variegated        Purple

As time goes by, I expect to be getting less & less of the true green (or the purple) plants, so I'll probably have to buy a packet & start over again. The purple & variegated ones are a nice novelty, but my I still love the true green of the original plant. 
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 03:06:13 AM by Patty S »

MassMama

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2007, 09:55:48 PM »
 :o The purple one is Pretty but I could see that it would not be such a nice accent to every garden area.. I was just wondering cause while at Target the other day there were like 7 Different types!! ??? I guess I will get the plane ole green type! Thank you very much for all the help and info!!  ;D

Offline Patty S

« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2007, 10:17:25 PM »
Ohhhh... I wish we had a Target store! It's kind of overkill to have BOTH a Lowe's & a Home Depot here, but no Target or Mervyns, & a little bitty Sears store that's almost catalog sales, only! ...and, we've only had a Walmart for 2 years! (Rumor has it that the owners of Lowe's & Home Depot used to be married, & are trying to destroy each other... so, wherever one store opens up, the other one starts building close by & opens up to compete!)

Why not try all 7 kinds of Basil, Rita? They'd look great & serve a good purpose, all around your deck! I have a Dr. appointment up in Eugene next week... Maybe I'll look for the different kinds of Basil while I'm there. They have all those fun stores up there that we dont have here! 
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 03:08:58 AM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2007, 10:43:29 PM »
I have got to buy more basil, myself! Don't they have a lemon one?

Patty, would it survive with nothing but morning light? I am trying to figure out a way to "skeeter" proof the deck...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2007, 11:37:27 PM »
I know there's a lemon basil, but I've never had it. (Keeping my eye out for it though!)

Basil will "survive" with just morning light, but it might not be real happy. Lots of heat & lots of sun are both pretty important for a real healthy basil plant, & you just can't cheat them much on either one.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 03:10:07 AM by Patty S »

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2007, 07:05:47 AM »
Rumor has it that the owners of Lowe's & Home Depot used to be married, & are trying to destroy each other... so, wherever one store opens up, the other one starts building close by & opens up to compete!)

That would explain why Home Depot and Lowes is directly across the street from each other here!!!!

I'm with Dianna. I was hoping to have something to repel the skeeters on my front porch.  Doesn't sound like there is enough sun though. Is there another plant that would do the trick with less sun?
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

MassMama

« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2007, 07:11:02 AM »
I used the citronella plant in my shady area.. Think I got it at HD and it worked out great..  ;) also called the Mosquito plant..

I Guess it never hurts to try all of them huh Patty!! I will see what I can find  ;D

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2007, 07:55:12 PM »
Does the plant work better than the "products". I haven't had much luck with Citrinella products....
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Patty S

« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2007, 02:47:08 AM »
I'm not very impressed with Citronella either, but I think a "safe" answer would be that it depends on how many plants you have in the area (such as on or around your deck). I know that when you pinch off the flowering tops, the plant puts out a very strong scent. (Keith hates it when I do that to the plants I have here in the house... he doesn't like the scent, & says he thinks it smells like skunk!)

Since I always have so many Basil plants going all summer, I think I’ll do a little experimenting this year & try putting some in my juicer, to see if I can use it in a spray bottle. I would think that since the liquid is from a plant, it might stain fabric (I'll test it & see), but spraying it around on the deck when you're outside in the evening (on table & chair legs, deck railings, etc.) might make up for having the plants farther away than they need to be, to be effective against mosquito attacks.

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 03:14:11 AM by Patty S »

MassMama

« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2007, 01:38:48 PM »
 ;D I just got my basil the other day and planted the seeds Hoping they all pop up!! ;D

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2007, 05:10:36 PM »
I love Basil too.  I have recently run into Cinnamon Basil and it is fantastic with pork.  One thing I found to be true was that if I transplanted a seedling it would stop growing.  But if I waited until it was a mature plant I could transplant it.  I start mine inside in large pots now and keep them inside for the first year and put them out the second year.  I can usually keep a plant around for 3 or 4 years before the woody stems take over and the plant gets to looking unattractive.

I recently started some Sweet Genovese Basil and look forward to filling my spice container.  Last year I had enough basil to dry enough for my friends and I and give away large amounts of fresh. 

I love cooking with spices and have enjoyed being able to share my experience with my friends.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal