Author Topic: Wish list  (Read 10007 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Wish list
« on: Jun 16, 2007, 05:23:35 PM »
What plants are on your wish list?

What about other things for your garden?

My plant wish list currently includes a danebrog poppy and coreopsis "creme brulee".

My other wish list includes things like a white picket fence, birdhouses on tall posts so I can wrap the post with a clemantis, and a waterfall. :goofy:

What about you?
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Patty S

Re: Wish list
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2007, 02:37:24 AM »
Since Peggy gave me Passion Flower vines last fall & they actually dug in & put their roots down (after three previous tries with starts from someone else), my 2007 wish list was erased a couple days ago, when I finally found the last plant that had been on my list! I'd been looking for Lisianthus ever since bedding plants started coming into the stores this year, but no one seemed to have them. BG & I happened to stumble across a plant clearance sale at a store where I seldom shop, so we decided to stop waiting for our second planting of seeds to sprout & just buy up some annuals... & there they were! I managed to winter over one of the three Lisianthus that we bought last year (without bringing it inside... I didn't know you could do that with those plants), but I wanted more of them this year, cuz they're so awesome looking & are absolutely terrific as cut flowers.  (I "woo-hooed" all the way home from the store, & BG asked me to stop... said it was "getting old"!)

Since I got the arbor I wanted this year, & Keith recently made a handy-dandy new weeding tool for me (posted in "Tips, Tricks & Fun Things to Know") & he has promised to build me a new deck this summer, the only thing I can wish for now is a full time gardener! Well, come to think of it, BG & I enjoy working in the garden together, so maybe just a part time gardener would do... you know, just someone to trim all that Iris back & pull weeds one final time, on the hill above them!  

Oh... I would like to have a new kink-resistant hose. The one in the back yard is driving me crazy, & I'm kicking myself for being too cheap to buy a good one!

Sarah, just to make sure we're both talking about the same plant when we say "Creme Brulee Coreopsis", is this what it looks like?

(The only pic I have of it was scaled down for seed packets & I forgot to save the original, but I'm sure it'll do for ID purposes.)  It's a somewhat low-growing plant & seems to "creep" when crowded, much like Shasta Daisies do. Spaced farther apart, they get a little taller. As you know, Coreopsis is draught tolerant, & these pretty yellow flowers will continue until the cooler weather sets in. (Self seeding, but they do winter over in milder climates.)

If this is the flower you're looking for, I'll get some seeds started for you if you'd like. I looked for them earlier, after I saw what was on your wish list, but was interrupted by dinner plans... will get back on it, tomorrow. I'll be stopping by to see you on the 28th, & can bring them along.

« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2007, 02:43:46 AM by Patty S »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2007, 05:07:50 PM »
That's it, Patty! How great! :Glee:

You have erased your wish list for 2007? Good greif! Mine is PAGES long...and not limited to a year. :Groaner:
Maybe I'm wishing for too much? Naaaah!  :grinnnn:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2007, 05:25:03 PM »
Wish list?  Are you sure you want to get me started?  Actually I did get started back awhile ago in another post.  Something about gardens lol. 

FOR THE CUTTING GARDEN
Top of the list is a yellow tree peony that is absolutely what I want most 
Next would be the American Beauty Rose
Then the Pink Baby's Breath I already have the perennial white
Double bloom daffodils
All different colors of Gladiolus except red because I already have those

FOR A HOUSE PLANT
Arabian Jasmine so far I've only found plants for sale at over 10.00 a piece and that's before they add taxes and shipping grrrrh.

FOUR SEASON GARDEN
The yellow and red Crown Imperials I have the orange on order it will be here in November.
Witch Hazel
Walking Stick Tree/Bush I've forgotten which

FOR THE ORCHARD
Apple Trees, Dwarf
Bartlett Pear, and companion
Peach Tree, Asian and regular
Cherry Tree, Dwarf
Bay Laurel
American Chestnut
Hazel Nut
Black Walnut

Of course these are just the ones I remember off of the top of my head lol

And of course before I get any of these I'll need the 5 acres to put them all on.  I guess it's time to check my lottery numbers lol.

Offline Patty S

« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2007, 01:08:59 AM »
OK, I bought myself a new hose & just thought that was the end of my 2007 wish list, Dianna.  But there IS something that I REALLY, REALLY want...

I wish I had barleychown's yard!

See more in, "The Grass IS greener... (in someone else's yard!)"
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2007, 12:01:52 PM by Patty S »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2007, 07:44:11 AM »
Great Great yard.  Wowza!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2007, 11:08:42 AM »
One of my wishes is to win the lottery so I could make it worth Sarah's while to fly out here and transform my yard into the Garden of Eden. That is simply beautiful!

I would love to see more close-ups! (*Hint! Hint!*)  :grinnnn:

Duh, looks like you have put a lot of thought into your wish list. I wish that you get all your wishes one day!
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2007, 11:12:01 AM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2007, 09:23:19 PM »
Awww, you guys! :Blush: Thanks for the compliments.

Now, stop wishing for my yard! Let's work together to make yours into your dream yard. :ThumbUp: All you need is time, patience, and a strong desire to make it happen.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2007, 09:25:31 PM »
Oh, and Duh...remind me again this fall to try to start you some cuttings of witch hazels and the walking stick. ;)  If I can get them to root, they are yours!

Offline Patty S

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2007, 02:21:21 AM »
Hey Sarah, did you find the Creme Brulee starts that we left for you?  The sky opened up & it rained really hard as we were getting back on the freeway that day... I hope they didn't get all beaten up!

If I could have been sure of which of my plants were which, I could have brought you some that you wouldn't have had to wait so long for blossoms! (We had planted different kinds of Coreopsis & Calendulas together & it's hard to tell them apart before they come up with a flower.) Some of them are up & looking happy now, since I freed them from the clump they were started in & gave them some growing space!

I wish I'd have written down the date when I started them, so I could give you an idea about how long you'll have to wait. :SlapSelf:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2007, 05:50:03 AM »
Hey barleyclown, that is so sweet of you.  Unfortunately I'm not allowed to plant trees in my garden.  They are afraid, with just cause, that it might bring down the retaining wall.  And it just might.

So although I would love to have them I'll have to pass.  Thankyou so much for the thought.  I will treasure it.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2007, 12:13:24 PM »
Major bummer Duh!

I have added white liatris to my wish list, along with white maltese cross.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2007, 07:03:18 AM »
I would love to have a chipper/shredder so that I can make my own mulch. That stuff gets expensive when you buy it by the bag! ;)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2007, 09:23:52 AM »
do you have enough brush/trees that need to be removed to make that cost effective?  I hired a guy to make mulch out of a wild cherry tree that had died on dads property and it was cheaper than renting a machine for a day.  And since I only had the one tree to get rid of that worked fine. 

Just a thought.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2007, 10:22:12 AM »
That is a great point, Duh! I pile all my brush up and once a year or so a friend with a chipper comes by and chips it for me...but a big pile of brush makes a rather small pile of chips. :SlapSelf:

My suggestion for you to cut costs on mulch is to watch for the tree trimmers...you know, the ones who trim along the power lines? If you approach the foreman and talk to him about wanting a load of chips, he will more than likely be very glad to drop a load at your house. I do this about twice a year...sometimes the chips are small, sometimes they are big, but either way they are FREE!

I use them mostly as pathway, and them order several cubic yards of compost from a local company to use as mulch. So, all in all for the year worth of mulch and path I'm only out $150, and that's compost, which has made a HUGE difference in my soil.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2007, 03:12:58 PM »
The chips will breakdown and become compost but it usually takes at least 2 years and the first year it is pulling the nitrogen from the soil so you do have to keep that in mind when you fertilize. 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2007, 03:23:04 PM »
Duh, we are always limbing up the trees that cross over the property line so that we can mow under them. I would have plenty of use for the chipper... :grinnnn:

They have a neat little one for only $99 at Harbor Freight that I have my eye on. When my wallet gets as big as my eyes, it will be coming home with me! :laugh1:

Sarah, we have a grove of pine trees behind us. They (the paper company that owns it) were chipping away last year, but I never got the chance to stop and ask them for the chippings :(.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2007, 03:24:45 PM by Dianna »

Offline patches

« Reply #17 on: Jul 27, 2007, 06:02:46 PM »
Oh geesh, there are so many things I want for my garden; but, right now, I just wish I could get some flowers on my strawberry plants.  :pray: :flower: :pray:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #18 on: Jul 31, 2007, 05:37:04 AM »
I wish the freesia had bloomed this year but they didn't.  The leaves are all dying back now.  Maybe next year.

Bettyboop19482003

« Reply #19 on: Jul 31, 2007, 03:18:26 PM »
 :ScratchHead: I wish to find a Heart shape Hoya,
I love hoya's and have 4 now here is what i have now but  :SmileyFit:
I want a heart shape one   :smack:

Offline patches

« Reply #20 on: Aug 01, 2007, 05:35:40 PM »
Geesh, the olny thing I'm wishing for right now is some rain!!!  :pray: All of my flowers are looking so stressed out  :yikes: even though I'm keeping them watered.  :dunno: What we really need is a long, steady rain to give everything a great big drink.  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2007, 05:37:31 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #21 on: Aug 03, 2007, 05:35:03 AM »
I need edging for around all my beds.  Preferrable something that pokes people who are doing bad things.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #22 on: Aug 03, 2007, 11:09:33 AM »
Duh, if you plant some cactus out in your gardens, you wouldn't have to carry much water for them, either! :idea:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #23 on: Aug 03, 2007, 11:16:45 AM »
lol would you believe i love cactus to death?  It is tempting though. 

Offline patches

« Reply #24 on: Aug 05, 2007, 11:38:56 PM »
With the sweltering temperatures we're having, I've got something new to add to my
"Wish List"!  I wish I could have a drip irrigation system installed.  ;)  It's so hard to get out and water everything when it's so hot!   :hot:

Duh, if you plant some cactus out in your gardens, you wouldn't have to carry much water for them, either!

Dianna, I really like your idea for keeping human critters out of Duh's garden.  :rofl1: I know they would keep me out.   :scaredy:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal