Author Topic: Small Successes  (Read 5251 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Small Successes
« on: Apr 28, 2011, 09:00:15 AM »
Today, I took off the broken piece on the potato bin and replaced it with the new one and it works.  Ok maybe not a big deal to anyone else but I'll take any success I can get.

My next success was replacing the flapper in the toliet.  That's now three pieces of the assembly that I know how to fix.  Then I tightened the screws that hold on the toliet seat.  Those plastic nuts don't seem to hold all that well.  But maybe that is so the enamel doesn't get broken? 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Small Successes
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2011, 09:06:46 AM »
Really good stuff, Tammy. It is those small successes that bring the accomplished feelings. Every time we learn we grow a little.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
Today I got the bathroom sink mirror off the wall.  They put the mirrors on with double sided tape that's really strong.  It came off in pieces but not nearly as badly as the first one.  Now I have the two really large ones in the tub enclosure to get off.  That's going to be a chore but I have two weeks to get it done.  I'm just glad to be making any progress at all.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2011, 12:58:34 PM »
i'm glad you are getting it done.  i hate that they use the double sided tape that way.  it makes it hard to remove the mirrors when needed.  and almost impossible to salvage them if you wanted to reuse them.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2011, 04:01:24 PM »
That is so true.  but I've managed to get a couple of big chunks that I can turn into hand mirrors I think.  I plan to try anyway.  See what happens.  Either that or they will just sit around the house until I get tired of them, and throw them away lol.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:25:02 PM »
They're supposed to put bathroom mirrors on with clips for easy removal.  I've seen them glued to walls.  So aggravating.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:16:32 AM »
This over achiever did both and the bottom frame is also screwed into the wall just to make life interesting.  Suprising they never considered someone would want to take them down. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:46:54 PM »
i'm glad you got them out.  i need to get them out of mine, but it will be a long time before i get that far...

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2011, 01:31:17 AM »
I understand completely.  Having gotten this far my benefits are being taken from me this year and without medical insurance I may not even be around next year.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »
What in the world is going on?  Do you mean your disability money or your Medicare?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:35:24 PM »
tammy, is it that the $40 increase put you over the cut off line for assistance?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2011, 08:13:34 AM »
yes it put me over the line.  Normally medicaid pays my medicare premiums.  And that was like 98 dollars the last time I looked.  I have no idea what it is now and getting ahold of my case worker is never easy. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2011, 12:20:48 PM »
One of the large mirrors is down.  This should have been a two person job.  It came down in one broken piece with just the back laminate holding it all together.  It knocked me into my shower access panel and caved it in.  Fortunately it's plastic and I was able to put it back together.  Now there is only one to go.  Then it's trying to get the adhesive off of the walls so they can be painted.  I'm hoping the peanut butter trick will work. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2011, 12:27:32 PM »
If peanut butter doesn't, try mayo or crisco. They also work on such things. And I've also used hand lotion and baby oil.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »
Yes, it should have been a two person job. Do you have someone to help with the other one?
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »
Maybe it depends on if they show up.  They are not incredibly reliable.  This is a cross your fingers project from start to finish.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2011, 02:16:44 PM »
Well I hope they show up. We don't need you hurt.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2011, 07:49:33 AM »
I'll score the mirror so it comes down in at least two pieces if I attempt it by myself.  I don't want to be injured.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2012, 08:28:46 AM »
Russ came over and helped me with the final mirror.  Unfortunately one of our ideas was to hit the mirror with a hammer to break it.  It worked the 4th time we tried it but it also put a hole in the wall behind the mirror. 

Patching the hole has been a nightmare but it's down to needing a skim coat of mud to finish it so I'm feeling pretty good about it.  I'm thinking of putting up shallow shelves on that wall that is done like an asian screen.  I have the pattern on a picture of a quilt that I like.  And then I've decided to do a collection of decanters to put bath salts, bubble bath, bath beads and so on it and putting them on the bath surround.  That will look good and be functional. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal