Author Topic: Book Review Corner Vol. 5  (Read 14900 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Book Review Corner Vol. 5
« Reply #75 on: Oct 19, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »
Sounds like the kind of book I try to avoid.  I'm such an emotional whimp.  I'm glad you liked it. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #76 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:02:05 AM »
I'm reading the Athena Project by brad thor, I'd rather be reading something else.  This is what happens when the books I order don't come in on time. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #77 on: Nov 09, 2011, 09:02:42 PM »
When it rains it pours.  I'm tired of the Terry Prachett books so of course those finally came in.  The Mercedes Lakey that I ordered came in too and it wasn't anything to write home about.  The Jayne Ann Krentz romances were great so of course I sat down and devoured both of them within a day.  I got two more today and I expect that by friday when I go back into town to meet Mike and Howard for dinner I'll have them finished and can return them to the library.  Don't ask me what I'll read next.  I haven't a clue. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #78 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:46:04 AM »
I got the first three "The Cat Who..." books in a christmas book exchange.  I've already finished the first two and I'm halfway through the third.  So I took some of the christmas money I received and bought the next 5 books in the series that I don't have.  I love her series about the reporter and his cats.  I'm looking forward to rereading the series again.  I read the entire series last year from the library.  Wouldn't it be nice it I owned the entire collection? lol I know I'm crazy

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #79 on: Dec 30, 2011, 05:26:14 PM »
i read "the help"  i don't think i would like the movie, but i loved the book.

tammy, i am still going to send you those books i promised.  i'm just slow.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #80 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:51:13 PM »
I saw "The Help" and I really enjoyed it. I have always found the books to be better than the movies, though. Could be because I am a bookworm... :wink5:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #81 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:16:26 PM »
I saw "The Help" and I really enjoyed it. I have always found the books to be better than the movies, though. Could be because I am a bookworm... :wink5:
i know it is because i am a book worm.  and i have trouble sitting still to watch movies :giggle: call me ms fidget when the tv is on.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #82 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:28:47 AM »
Ok I've got to ask.  What is on your book buying or check out list?

Mine is kind of hefty 20 The Cat Who series as I mentioned above.  From Anne McCaffreys books all of them I don't have, The Vlademir Series from Mercedes Lackey, The Minoans (Lost Civilizations)   Don Nardo, Atlantis Destroyed Rodne Castleden, Monster Hunt: The Guide to Cryptozoology Rory Storm, How to read Egyptian Hieroglyphs:  A step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself, Revised Edition Mark Collier and Bill Manley Lives of the Ancient Egyptians: Pharaohs, Queens, Courtiers and Commoners Toby Wilkinson, Look me in the eye : my life with Asperger's Robison, John Elder, The Forest People Colin Turnbull, Egyptology :An introduction to the history, art and culture of ancient Egypt   James Putnam, Build Your Own underground Root Cellar Phyllis Hobson, Aegyptische Studien und Verwandtes von Georg Ebers. Zu seinem Andenken gesammelt. (English Translation) Georg Ebers.  And the James White Sector General Novels. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #83 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »
i don't have anything special on my check out list.  and i generally don't buy books because I read too fast.

out of your list, i like anne mccaffrey and the books about asperger's and the forest people sound interesting.  building your own root cellar wouldn't work here,  the water table is too high.

i did just re-read iris johansen's silent thunder.  it is nothing like hunt for red october, but reminds me of that one.  if that makes sense.  i really enjoyed it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #84 on: Jan 01, 2012, 12:41:10 PM »
I read fast too, but my memory is so bad that I can go back and re-read over and over again.  So my favorites I like to have.  That way I can read them in order without having to wait forever for the library to come up with them. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #85 on: Jan 08, 2012, 09:14:06 AM »
The library has a winter adult reading contest.  Read 5 books enter to win prizes.  I'm finishing book three of this set. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #86 on: Jan 08, 2012, 12:06:06 PM »
i picked up some of earlene fowler's "benni harper" series.  they all have quilt names and quilting information in them.  they are mysteries, but good reading. nothing too dark about them.  i am past being able to enjoy the dark psychological thrillers.  especially if they are graphic or gory.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #87 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:37:04 AM »
I never could get into those.  Really ugh for me.

Today I joined Paperback Swap website.  If you join let them know I sent you. 
So far I've listed 14 books, ordered 2 and sent off one.  The other I'll send off tomorrow.  I still have one book credit to spend.  I just can't decide which one I want more. lol

Time for a nap now.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #88 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:55:34 PM »
How to read Egyptian Hieroglyphs sounds interesting.  Ant and wisdom in Eqyptian hieroglyphs is the same word.  Interesting since the Bible talks about ants and how wise they are.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #89 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:08:33 AM »
The paperback swap is really taking off.  Right now I'm rating all the books I've read.  Which is fun.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #90 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »
Did you know they had a genre just for paranormal books?  I didn't know that.  I'm so far behind the times.  What was I doing?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #91 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:48:32 AM »
Just bought A Bitter Truth to read for my book club.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #92 on: Jan 29, 2012, 12:37:20 PM »
Hows the book going?  When is your book clubs next meeting?

I've just hit 31 books on my wishlist over on paperbackswap.  To bad I only have 2 credits huh? 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #93 on: Feb 16, 2012, 07:37:16 PM »
Didn't much like Bitter Truth.  The next book is The Angel and the Jabberwocky Murder.

I joined a site called https://www.goodreads.com/  I have another friend on there and it's a good place to find ideas for books to read.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #94 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:50:36 PM »
the Angel and the Jabberwocky Murder was a pretty good book. 

One of the books on my Wishlist came on line today.  I scarfed it up.  That's a pretty good deal they have going. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #95 on: Feb 23, 2012, 08:28:46 AM »
I received Exiles Honor today.  It's a fantasy story from Mercedes Lackey.  I've already started it. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #96 on: Feb 23, 2012, 06:46:15 PM »
Has anyone read the Hunger Games?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #97 on: Feb 24, 2012, 11:01:39 AM »
I haven't.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #98 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:42:40 AM »
Finished honor yesterday and will start valor today.  It's the second part of the same story.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #99 on: Feb 29, 2012, 04:58:50 PM »
I finished Exhiles Valor today.  It wasn't one of her best but I got the ending I wanted to it wasn't all bad.  I don't seem to be in the right mood to appreciate the books I'm reading.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal