Author Topic: 2011 Seed Harvest  (Read 3302 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
2011 Seed Harvest
« on: Aug 17, 2011, 05:34:02 PM »
Well the seed harvesting has started.  I've been watching the double bloom miniature dark pink zinnia waiting for the seed heads to mature and today I got the first one.  I hope to put these around the birdbath next year.  a ring of these, then a ring of the lighter pink zinnia, and then a ring of the burgandy petunia.  At least that's the plan at this stage. 

Have you started harvesting any seeds?  If so, what kind and what do you plan to do with them?

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
Re: 2011 Seed Harvest
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2011, 07:34:44 PM »
I didn't really plant anything this year. The only seeds I have gathered are Lemon Basil.
It sounds like your birdbath will be beautiful next year.
This is me ->?

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2011, 07:06:27 AM »
I havent harvested any flower seeds, so far.....but i will be saving the veggies though.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2011, 09:01:52 AM »
I didn't plant much this year either but when I didn't put down the Preen I got volunteers galore. 

I don't think I'm going to do anymore veggie beds.  That was such a disappointment this year.  And I just can't keep them watered.  Now if I had the money to put in irrigation and a dedicated well for the garden maybe but I haven't won the lottery yet. 

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2011, 11:04:09 AM »
Some of my veggies were a huge let down too, the beans and peas really didnt do much, and thats the first year that i have had this happen.

Dont give up Tammy....is there a way you could have them close to the house, to make it easier for watering?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2011, 12:37:06 PM »
When I have done a few veggies, I have put them in amongst my flowers and things up close to the house. It is much easier to keep the critters away. Peppers next to your other shrubs and tomatoes surrounded by flowers are very pretty.
Even an irrigation system needs pretty constant work. I am fixing or revamping mine endlessly.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2011, 01:42:50 PM »
Good suggestions Tina!!!

Maybe some of Tina's ideas would help you, Tammy?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2011, 08:33:07 AM »
Maybe I'll move the peppers and tomatoes closer to the house and try that.  It can't hurt.  We'll see how I feel next year.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2011, 06:55:15 AM »
Well I harvested the seeds from the Gypsy Bell Peppers and the San Marino Tomatoes.  Neither produced enough veggies to eat but there were enough to get seeds from.  All I can do is hope for the best.  That's it for the veggies.

The miniature bushy pink zinnia isn't producing a lot of seeds but when the flower head turns brown I grab it.  I don't know what the count on those seeds will be or if it will come true to form.  All I can do is hope for the best.  I'm only harvesting from that zinnia and the short one with the full set of petals so it looks more like a mum than a standard zinnia. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal