Author Topic: Help with a 4 season garden  (Read 2526 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Help with a 4 season garden
« on: Jun 27, 2007, 06:50:20 AM »
I've done great getting spring flowers planted.  I have lilly of the valley, crocuses, daffodils, tulips, hyacinth, peonies, and columbine.

Can someone suggest something for the garden that blooms after the Hyacinth and before the moss roses and blackberry lillies bloom. 

For summer I have zinnia freesia and glads and the aforementioned moss roses and blackberry lillies.  I tried for sunflowers but they didn't make it.   

For fall, I have mums but I would like to have more.  I just can't get my head around the problem.  Your help would be appreciated.

I don't have anything for winter.  I tried the lentil roses but it's been two years and they never came up.  I think they got mowed down at best or they never sprouted.

I need small plants no bushes but other than that I'm open to suggestions.  Easy to grow is a plus.

Offline Patty S

Re: Help with a 4 season garden
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2007, 08:46:20 AM »
The only things I can think of that came up here after Hyacinth was Primrose & Calendula (but the Calendula was a winter-over from last year). As for the Hellebores (Lenten Rose), I got my starts from someone else, after they were already up... never tried them from seed.

Sure don't know why your sunflowers didn't take... they're so easy, & should sprout in 4 or 5 days! :unsure:

Besides your Mums, Calendula & Zinnia will bloom until killing frost, but I can't think of any winter flowers, other than Bergenia, for your zone.

I have Calendula, Zinnia & Hellebores seeds if you'd like some. The Calendula can be started indoors now & should take right off, then pop back up for you early in the spring. Zinnias will sprout readily indoors, but they won't do anything if sown directly in the garden, unless the ground is pretty warm. (April/May.)

MassMama

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2007, 08:47:51 AM »
creeping phlox will bloom after the daffs and such but before the lillys... Astilbe,baloon flowers..day lilys foxglove..

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
Thankyou for the offer Patty.  I think the problem was varmints when it came to the sunflowers.  The squirrels have been around alot this year.

I'm trying more for the full sun side of the garden but thankyou for the offer of the seeds.  I didn't have any luck with the calendula when I tried it here.  It may not like my soil.

I love the idea of balloon flowers.  I may have to see if I can set some seeds for that.  It's second year to bloom isn't it?

MassMama

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2007, 10:48:38 AM »
I'm pretty sure they are.. Let me check mine and I may be able to send you a start if you want...

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2007, 06:08:16 AM »
You know I do great with seeds but not so great with starts.  Isn't that weird.  Usually I hear it is the other way around lol.  But thankyou for the offer. 

One of the ladies at church has some beautiful blue ones I'll see if she is willing to harvest some seeds for me. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal