Author Topic: My pond and bog garden  (Read 14231 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: My pond and bog garden
« Reply #25 on: Sep 13, 2007, 04:31:32 PM »
In everything I have read, as long as it's in little bits, and it's an eco-friendly soap, it should be just fine.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #26 on: Sep 13, 2007, 04:34:46 PM »
Hmmmm I guess I need to find some eco-friendly bath bubbles then.  I could at least use it to water the plants once a month.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #27 on: Sep 14, 2007, 01:57:20 PM »
Wow Sarah, that looks amazing, i would love to see some progress pics if you do make it bigger, and i like the idea of the Bog too, very cool!

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: Mar 14, 2008, 03:29:29 PM »
My fish are awake after their long winter nap!   :banana02: I am so happy to see them...I though maybe the ducks had eaten them. Guess not! They have even had babies.  :dancingbunny:

Please excuse the disaster that which is my pond...the ducks are hard on it. :Blush:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #29 on: Mar 14, 2008, 10:31:35 PM »
I wish my pond were that big, Sarah! :grinnnn: My fish are moving around, too...

I will be posting pics of the shape my puddle is in tomorrow. You have nothing to be embarrassed about.... :laugh1:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #30 on: Mar 15, 2008, 12:23:07 PM »
Looks great Sarah, please post more ok.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: Mar 21, 2008, 10:56:14 PM »
My gunnera is waking up!  :Glee:

(pssst...hey Patty! I didn't have a nickel, so I threw a duck in for size!  :laughmao: )

Offline Patty S

« Reply #32 on: Mar 21, 2008, 11:08:22 PM »
Sarah!  
But how big is the duck? :ScratchHead: Does he have any money?

(Nice gunnera... it sure isn't wasting any time! :yesssss: How come the duck isn't eating it?)

Offline patches

« Reply #33 on: Mar 22, 2008, 04:52:02 PM »
My gunnera is waking up!

Geesh, Sarah, when I read this, and the picture started opening, I thought you had another critter named "Gunnera".   :rofl1:  :laughpound:  Geesh, if I had seen this duck a week ago, it might have helped to explain the ducks in my dream.   ;)  Actually, I've never even heard of gunnera, so I'm anxious to see what it looks like.   :Watching:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 25, 2008, 12:54:58 PM »
Great picture Sarah!

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: Apr 04, 2008, 11:33:44 AM »
Mike and I emptied the pond out yesterday, because I just couldn't get ahead of the duck mess.

Here is the pond empty:

And, all the fish from it:

I'll be putting it all back together today.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #36 on: Apr 04, 2008, 11:49:51 AM »
 :Wow: Looks like you both have been working your patooties off. I am sure that you will be able to get ahead of the duck mess now! :wink5:

Beautiful fish! :grinnnn: Are they named? I see babies! :Watching: I am beginning to think that Samson and Delilah may be Samson and Scotty or Delilah and Deloris! :laugh1:

Bet your fish will think they have moved to new digs when you put them back in! :giggle:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #37 on: Apr 07, 2008, 12:22:10 AM »
WOW Sarah, that is some big job you have going there.  The fish look great though, were you surprised at how many there were?  Also looks like quite a few fat ones in there... expecting babies?

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: Apr 07, 2008, 05:02:38 PM »
I am suprised at how many lived through the ducks. They all seem fat and happy, though. They went back into the pond the day after I filled it and treated it with declorinator, and today I saw them playing at the surface.

Mike and I have talked all week about plans and goals for the pond, and I think we have come up with some great ideas.  :grinnnn: We will be working on them as time permits.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #39 on: Apr 09, 2008, 12:31:53 PM »
Wow, what a job Sarah, but it'll look great once its all back together again!
Make sure to post some pics again ok?

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #40 on: Apr 09, 2008, 07:39:06 PM »
Nice fishies you have there Sarah.
This is me ->?

Offline notherdigger

« Reply #41 on: Apr 12, 2008, 01:25:28 AM »
     That pond is awsome, and the gunnera are just way cool and potentially huge.  I have always wanted to grow some of them but haven't figured out how to create a bog situation yet.  But I am learning alot.  Used to think they might not grow here (tropical) but on another forum ppl in Canada had huge one they were standing under.  I commend you for your efforts.  And the ducks are cool.  We had geese years ago when on a country place with a stock pond and every day at sunup they would line up and march to the pond till sunset when they formed another straight line and marched back home.  But you are right, they don't like to be too social with humans.  Ours were pure white geese.  Have a nice day.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #42 on: Apr 12, 2008, 11:05:56 PM »
Thanks, Andy! You live not far at all from my father, and he goes gunnera, so I'm sure you could, as well. The main things to know for growing it here is keep it moist, and screen it from wind...it dries it out way too fast.  Give one a try!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #43 on: Apr 28, 2008, 04:36:15 PM »
That looks great.  I'd never heard of a plant filtration system but again what a wonderful idea.

I was thinking of a pond/stream underneath my tree canopy by the house with a bog.  Something to help keep the picnic area cooler than the other parts of the yard where I can go to relax during the heat of the day.  I don't think I would aspire to anything as pretty as yours though.  That really looks like a bunch of work.  will you be able to grow any lotus in your pond?  They are so pretty.

Offline notherdigger

« Reply #44 on: Apr 28, 2008, 09:42:59 PM »
     I might try the gunnera sometime Barleychown but not this year, need to arrange a bog but I'm not as young as you and probably have bout.........25% of your energy lol.  Oh I almost remember when I was young ROFL.  But they are interesting plants.  Another one that is nice is the dark purple elephant ear I have seen in mags but I have never seen one of those actually in someone's yard.  They are real eyecatchers.  I wasn't ignoring ya, was just resting some between posts lol.  I'm enjoying the pics of you and your husband's projects.  It's nice to see plans come together for gardening ppl.  Have a nice day.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #45 on: Jul 09, 2008, 03:34:04 PM »
I got an updated shot of my bog:

I'm really enjouying it this year. Things are filling in nicely. I will need to divide some of the plants this fall, and top the whole thing with more compost.

Offline Tonya

« Reply #46 on: Jul 09, 2008, 05:15:50 PM »
Simply Beautiful Sarah!! I so want to come steal your yard.....or maybe kidnap you and have you come fix mine :giggle:

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #47 on: Jul 11, 2008, 09:07:20 AM »
Thanks, Tonya!

No need to steal me.  :BigGrin: You have made HUGE progress since moving into your home. You just have more room to work with than me. :laughmao:

Offline Patty S

« Reply #48 on: Jul 11, 2008, 09:36:20 AM »
  That really has taken off! :Yahoo:  Last time I was there, there was a place to walk, between the pond & the plants... I don't even see any dirt there now & it looks like you've done more work with the rocks, around the pond. :ThumbUp:

I just love that variegated willow.  Your Gunerra is looking pretty happy too.  Keep up the good work!

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #49 on: Jul 11, 2008, 12:20:15 PM »
Looks awesome Sarah!  I just love how full and lush it looks there, a peaceful spot to relax and enjoy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal