Gardening > Posies

Mums

(1/11) > >>

duh:
Since I don't have much blooming I've decided to quit pruning the mums and let them bloom.  a few have already started to bloosom but not the entire plant in the front yet and there are no blooms on the back one yet.  But I can't wait to see them. 

I will definitely divide the one in the front pot this fall.  I should be able to get 5 plants out of it.  One I will keep indoors and the rest I will replant 3 in the back yard and one back in the planter.

And the one that I have in the back is much smaller but I'll divide it after I've amended the soil and only split it in half.  Then I'll put one in the front in the other container and leave the other one in the back. 

I love mums for fall color.

Dianna:
I love mums, too, Duh. There are a lot of different colors out there and I just can never decide which color that I love the best. I love the rust color, but then I will see a vibrant red or yellow or purple, etc... :grinnnn:

duh:
I would like to add a cream colored one to my garden.  I think with the burgandy that would be fantastic.  And your right about there being many colors to choose from.  Did you also know that their are thirteen different types of cultivators of the mum? 

I was researching them back awhile ago and ran into a website with all kinds of information on them.  It was fun finding out stuff about them. 

One thing I found out the hard way is if they aren't divided they are short lived.  I lost 3 of my original bushes because I didn't divide them the first year when I got them home.  They were the overgrown ones that are sold at a discount at the grocery store.  I had no idea they were old plants.  Well at least for mums. lol.

MassMama:
Really??? I haved had mine for a good 7 years now and they come back up looking better every year!!

duh:
That's great, I'm relying on research and everything on the internet isn't 100%.  Do you divide them or just leave them alone?

My neighbor doesn't grow them anymore because they were very short lived for her too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version