Gardening > Gardeners Chat

Jim and Dianna's Garden - 2019

(1/5) > >>

Jim:
Thought I would start this topic as I plan on having a bigger garden this year.  Had so many things going on last year that I didn't have the time.  I'm making time this year.

Dianna traded a rarely used box blade for a 5' disc harrow a year or so ago and I got a chance to use it last week.  I normally use a tiller to get the ground ready but sold the old worn out Hinimoto tiller with the Yanmar tractor.  If this disc harrow works I may be able to get by without buying another tiller for the tractor.

Anyway one night last week I put the disc on and ran it through the garden spot several times.

This is what it looked like after several passes.

I ran the disc back over it again on Sunday afternoon and it looked better.  Still not sure if I will have to get a new tiller in order to use my planter.  I also have one more spot to get ready for my corn patch.  I'll add that once I get it done.

I hope to have the garden planted sometime around the second week in April.

sunsoaker:
Looks like a good start.

bestofour:
Looking good.  I hope to start next week.

bayou girl:
 Looking good!

Jim:
I decided to widen the garden spot instead of putting the corn in another area that way if I have to water, it makes it a bit easier.  I have a "middle buster" plow for the tractor so I put that on and ran it through before using the tiller.  It is designed to go down the middle of a row and roll out potatoes but it did a pretty good job of finding the roots from the sycamore trees that are close by.  I pulled some out that were 2" in diameter.

Once I got the plow through it, put on the disc harrow and ran over the entire spot again.  It looks better but I'm not sure if I am going to get by without purchasing a tiller for the tractor to get it ready for planting with the planter I want to use.  I have a small tiller for getting between the rows after planting but that would be rough trying top use on the entire garden before planting.

I'll get some more pictures soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version