Author Topic: Sugar Maples  (Read 2172 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Sugar Maples
« on: Nov 01, 2007, 12:28:23 PM »
Does anyone know anything about sugar maples?  I get curious about certain plants from time to time and right now it is sugar maples.

Any and all information about them is welcome.

Sorry I didn't know where to put this post.  If you have to move it that's ok.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Re: Sugar Maples
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2007, 03:52:22 PM »
they get BIG. Have gorgeous fall foliage. If you look at one from a distance the branches form an egg shape.(all of them all together that is) You can tap them for syrup in the spring. You need ALOT of sap to make a little syrup. Maple is also a very good wood for fires.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2007, 07:53:03 PM »
Maple is very good for wood fires and the smoke (hopefully on the outside of your house) smells like burnt sugar.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline patches

« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2007, 12:03:11 AM »
Sugar maples are an beautifully shaped tree and they can get to be up to about 7-8 stories high.  :yikes: In the fall, the leaves turn a breathtaking bright red-orange color.  :ThumbUp: Several years ago, I was fortunate enough to see an awesome display of them in gold, orange, burnt orange and red-orange :Wow: when I went to Wisconsin in the fall.    
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2007, 12:20:56 AM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2007, 08:21:16 AM »
Wow that's a lot taller than I assumed.

Does anyone know if they loose their branches easily.  We have a maple in the backyard here not a sugar variety and it can loose some pretty big branches.  The reason I'm asking is I was thinking of putting a couple around the trailer if I managed to get one.  Not that I'm planning ahead or anything lol. 

It actually sounds like this would be a good tree for the north side of the property where it's shade wouldn't affect other plantings. 

Thankyou so much for the information.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2007, 09:17:01 AM »
I once had a striped maple, also called moosewood, that dropped branches with every big storm. The sugars I dont believe drop them nearly as easily.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline patches

« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2007, 03:37:27 PM »
Wow that's a lot taller than I assumed. 

I know, Duh, but it's really going to take quite a few years before one ever  reaches those heights.  :laughmao: I've always loved the large, old trees, but in recent years my thinking has changed quite a bit, since I've seen all the damage they can do in the kind of storms we have around here.   :yikes:
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2007, 03:39:12 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2007, 09:26:41 AM »
It sounds like something for the northern border of a property.  That way you don't have to worry about it blocking any sun and you still get the possibility of syrup when they mature. 

Offline patches

« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
They are really beautiful trees, Duh,  ;)  but I think it takes a lot of work to actually get the syrup.  :unsure:  I don't anyone who's ever done it,  :smileyNo:  but it seems like I saw a program about it on the educational channel at one time.  :ScratchHead:
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2007, 05:47:34 PM by patches »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2007, 08:19:05 AM »
Once they matured it might be a fun activity for a cub scout troop or something like that.  And it would be nice to have the option even if I never actually did anything about it.  And I do love maple leaves and the fall color. 

Offline patches

« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2007, 03:47:23 PM »
Hey, Duh, that's a good idea, but after all the years of being a Girl Scout leader for both my daughter and granddaughter, I've decided to retire from thinking about any scout activities.   :rofl1:  On the other hand, if I had enough land where I could plant  some Sugar Maples far enough away from my house, I would definitely plant them for their beautiful shape and foliage.   ;) 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal