Author Topic: Today in the garden I...Part 2  (Read 11398 times)

Offline patches

Re: Today in the garden I...Part 2
« Reply #25 on: Aug 31, 2007, 02:20:46 PM »
Thanks for telling me that Penny!  ;)  This is my first time with Sunflowers and I didn't know the squirrels would do that to them.  :dunno: They are chewing mine to bits too and they look terrible.   :Vent:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #26 on: Sep 01, 2007, 06:59:29 AM »
Well I've got a cold but I still tried to get out there and get one bed of bulbs dug up.  The major one is still to go.  And the blackberry lillies and gladiolus still have leaves so they will have to wait longer before they can be dug up.  I'll have to put the columbine in pots before they die back for the year or I'll never find them.  The peonies are marked but I'll probably pot them as well.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.  So far all I've done is dig up my hycinth and some of my crocuses.

Offline patches

« Reply #27 on: Sep 01, 2007, 02:36:01 PM »
Well, Duh, it sounds like you're making some headway in spite of your cold.  :ThumbUp: I hope you feel better soon.  It sounds like you're going to have a great start with all these things for your new gardens.   :Wow:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #28 on: Sep 03, 2007, 08:12:38 AM »
It's a better start then when I started here where I live now.

Today so far I've watered half of the garden and dug up another row of crocuses and started on the first row of daffodils.  It's a lot of work but I'll get there.  I just hope I don't forget anything lol.

MassMama

« Reply #29 on: Sep 03, 2007, 08:36:40 AM »
 :grinnnn: even if you do forget some things I am sure there are people that would help ya get whatever you may have missed Duh!!  :ThumbUp:

I need to water.. we have been without rain for a while and the grass is getting dried out and brown.. I just can't spend all the money on the water bill!!
I have more tomatoes to pick and some more hot peppers.. for me that is about it.. my garden is about finished for the year!

Tamara

« Reply #30 on: Sep 03, 2007, 08:46:35 AM »
Haven't dug outside all week. It is freezing today and so windy. Rain for the afternoon(of course). The maple trees are starting to change colours already, the frosty nights are starting.

Offline patches

« Reply #31 on: Sep 03, 2007, 11:56:11 AM »
Duh, I know you're digging these up to take to you new garden apartment, but I was wondering if you always have to dig them up for the winter where you live.  :unsure: I don't for mine here and after a couple of years of digging up bulbs that weren't hardy here, I decided it wasn't worth it for me.   :smileyNo:
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2007, 02:34:43 PM by Jim »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #32 on: Sep 03, 2007, 07:40:39 PM »
Jim and I pulled the tall grass weeds out of the front flower bed day before yesterday, but it has been too hot to finish out there. I will surely be laying down cardboard and mulching heavily when I get that mess cleaned out... :ThumbUp:

While we were pulling weeds, we ran into three black widow spiders. When we went to Lowe's yesterday, I tossed a can of spider killer in the buggy with Jim's wasp spray. I think I may put it in my gardening bag, just to keep it handy!
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #33 on: Sep 04, 2007, 07:05:29 AM »
I don't blame you there Dianna, I certainly would. 

Normally I don't have to lift any of my bulbs except it does say that zone 7 should lift the freesia bulbs that I got this year.  So I did plan to do that even before I knew I was moving.  The crocuses, daffodils, tulips, and glads over wintered without a problem. 

Wow Tamara have you had the year of nasty weather.  Outside of a greenhouse I'm not sure I'd be able to garden in your part of the world at all.

I almost forgot to mention that I am half way through my watering and have started soaking the bulb bed so it will be easier to get the bulbs out of the ground.  That ground got tough over the dry, dry, summer we had. 

Also the chinese lanterns have all matured.  So I'll be out there cutting those down today. 
I finished the watering, dug out a row of daffodils and lost a row of freesia bulbs.  I have no idea where they went but they are gone. 

I am now dripping sweat so I'm staying inside for a while.
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2007, 07:36:10 AM by duh »

Offline Patty S

« Reply #34 on: Sep 04, 2007, 08:06:28 PM »
Today I went out & weeded out the bed that BG & I used to start seeds in this spring. I hadn't gotten around to moving all the plants out of there after they got going, so there are still Hibiscus, Baby's Breath & Four O'clocks there. 

I've been saying that Dianna & Bonnie had sent me yellow & pink Four O'clock seeds this spring, & I'd moved the pink ones to another bed, which are doing fine, but the yellow ones haven't offered up any blossoms yet... but when I got all the weeds & dead hedge leaves out of there, this is what I found, & I have no idea how long it's been there!

:yikes: Dianna/Bonnie, didn't you send me pink & yellow seeds? Do you have purple ones? (Could I have these plants mis-marked? They sure look like Four O'clocks to me... & that's what the sign says!)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #35 on: Sep 04, 2007, 08:23:01 PM »
Only pink and yellow, Patty! Don't know what happened to it... ???

Are you sure that is a four o'clock? The leaves look awfully big to me... ;)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Tamara

« Reply #36 on: Sep 05, 2007, 07:56:18 AM »
40*F again this morning. I started some fall clean up. I'm hoping to divide and replant bulbs today.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #37 on: Sep 06, 2007, 08:16:56 AM »
Everything is watered.  I plan on lifting more bulbs.  That is if I can keep the mesquitoes away.  They are a plague right now.

The rest of the bulbs have disappeared.  Which means I only have two hycinth and two daffodils and no tulips.  This is very disappointing. 

So I went to the next step in my moving the garden plan.  I dug up and potted the chocolate mint, the pineapple mint, the burgandy mum babies, The first year columbine, the lillies of the valley, the nodding onions, and one of the egyptian onions.  I still have some to go but that is a really good start on the project.

The herbs in the front containers will wait until the last possible instant or when the landlord tells me to move them.  They are gorgeous out there. 

If I get some more energy this afternoon I'll start loading up the first trashcan with compost.  It's a 33 gallon can and I think it will hold about 1/2 of the compost that I have at this point.  At least that's my guess-ta-ment lol.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2007, 10:14:22 AM by duh »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #38 on: Sep 07, 2007, 10:15:24 AM »
Well I got most everything watered.  I still have half of the ornamental grass to water but that's it.  It is way to hot to do anything else out there today.  Or at least that is the way it seems to me.  It could be the cold giving me false readings on the temp though.  I'm not a good judge of temperatures at all.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #39 on: Sep 07, 2007, 10:24:55 AM »
Yesterday evening we almost raked two acres of grass clippings to fill in the low spots by the back fence. Only five more to go. I sure hope we get it done before we have to mow again. Those clippings really bog down the tractor. :(

Jim planted some peas as a cover crop in the veggie garden, too. He didn't plant the whole garden, though, because only half of it has been tilled in right now.

I still haven't gotten back out there to my weed bed. It has been too hot, anyway. The exterminator is coming today, though, so I will make sure he sprays heavily for the widows. Sure can't stand the thought of those things...

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #40 on: Sep 07, 2007, 10:31:52 AM »
That's a lot of work you have been doing.  I'd be telling the exterminator to take a shot gun with him when it came to widows.  I'm such a scaredy cat.  Your doing great Dianna.  Grass really composts down so make big mounds of it if you are trying to fill in some dips in your property. 

Tamara

« Reply #41 on: Sep 07, 2007, 01:03:31 PM »
I got my bulbs dug out and replanted, moved a few perennials and shrubs. Cut back some things as well. I need to haul some topsoil now to smooth out a few places.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #42 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:21:25 AM »
I've watered half of the garden.  And I've gotten 8 of the kalanchoe ready to take to church. 

Tamara

« Reply #43 on: Sep 10, 2007, 07:07:01 AM »
Haven't done a thing out there in days, hopefully this week though.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #44 on: Sep 10, 2007, 01:45:59 PM »
I have watered almost all the gardens deeply this week, as we are suppose to have several hot days coming. Also have been watching the shade patterns in the back yard since the two big trees tat provided most of the shade fell. It looks like I will have to move a few plants around to keep them from frying in the sun. :-\

I deadheaded quite a bit in the front gardens over the weekend in hopes that they will perk up and bloom one more time this year. :ThumbUp:

I also fed the front gardens, and spread bonemeal on the lawn. Whew! It's been a long few days! :grinnnn:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline patches

« Reply #45 on: Sep 10, 2007, 01:55:26 PM »
Well, Sarah, it sounds like you've been pretty busy working in you yard.  How many plants are you going to have to move now that you lost your shade?   ???

Geesh, when I lost mine evrything had to be chaged because it became full sun.  :yikes: I got excused from watering this week since we've had several day of good rain and moderate temperatures.  I'm going to enjoy this break from dragging the hose around the yard.    :Whis:

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #46 on: Sep 10, 2007, 01:58:38 PM »
Well, I'll be watching the fucshias really close this week. I think they will now be getting too much afternoon sun to be happy.

The camellia's will defitily have to move...there are five of them.

The hydrangea's may be okay, again...I will watch this week, and if the wilt too much I will move them, too.

Congrats on the rain! I know you needed it badly.

Offline patches

« Reply #47 on: Sep 10, 2007, 02:05:34 PM »
Sarah, that is totally different than the type of plants I had in my bed.  Most of mine were hostas, ferns, Huechera, Astiles, and Columbine.  Actually, my bed was focused more on the foliage and greenery rather than flowers.  ;)  I thought this gave a much cooler look to the shade garden.  Besides, I felt I had enough flowers and color in my sunny beds.   :Whis:

Yes, I was so glad to get the rain and it helped a little.  Sarah, I'm so sorry you lost your shade!   :(
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2007, 02:11:30 PM by patches »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #48 on: Sep 10, 2007, 02:16:08 PM »
I hadn't gotten that far yet. This year was for buying the big ticket items, like the trees and shrubs. Next year the focus will be on perennials...now different ones, of course.
I'm sorry too, but not for me...mostly for all the birds and squirels and such that lost such big trees.

Tamara

« Reply #49 on: Sep 11, 2007, 07:12:48 AM »
It's still raining. It seems like I will never get all the outside work done at this rate.  :SmileyFit:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal