Gardening > In The Kitchen

Tomato preserves or jam

(1/2) > >>

pharmerlaura:
Am looking for a way to use some of the many tomatos we have & I would like a recipe for preserves. My sister made some Years ago. At the time I hated tomatos. Now I eat one a day just because I can. ;D

Triss:
Send some my way!  :grinnnn:

Seriously though, I have never heard to tomato jam.  What uses would it have and where does its consistency run as compared to other tomato products?

And what about canning other ways, salsa, stewed tomatoes, sauce and paste or have you done all that?

MassMama:
Laura I will post some tomarrow ... :ThumbUp: I have a few in some books are you looking for jams or chutneys?

pharmerlaura:
Im looking for Jams. I have one recipe for tomato preserves.. When I had what my sister made it was sweet & I had it on toast.

MassMama:
2  lbs ripe tomatoes 
4  cups sugar 
1 (2  ounce) box dry pectin (optional) 
2  lemons, zest of 
2  oranges, zest of 
1  tablespoon fresh lemon juice 
1 (4  inch) chunk fresh ginger, peeled and grated 
2  cinnamon sticks 
Peel, core, seed, and slice the tomatoes.
In a slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, sugar, pectin (if using), lemon and orange zests, lemon juice, ginger, and cinnamon sticks.
Cover and cook on LOW for 2 1/2 hours, stirring twice during cooking.
Remove lid from cooker, turn up to HIGH and cook 2-4 hours longer, until the jam reaches the desired consistency; dischard cinnamon sticks.
Ladle the warm jam into clean spring-top glass jars (or use screw tops with new lids); let stand until cool.
Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 months.
Alternative: may spoon into small plastic storage containers and freeze for up to 2 months.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version