Author Topic: My Chickadee-dee-dee thrill!!!  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
My Chickadee-dee-dee thrill!!!
« on: Sep 03, 2007, 12:57:01 PM »
I have a couple of chickadees that will fly towards me and/or Marton if the feeders are empty, perch very nearby, and give us a 'whats up with no seed?' look. One or two have even landed on the feeders as I bring them out to hang them up, filled.
So, I get an idea!  :idea:  Marton works for a company that makes medical training dummies. CPR, obstetrics, etc etc. I asked him if there is a reject hand can he bring one home. That way the birds will learn to eat out of a hand and maybe i can hand feed them.
On friday he brought me home a hand! :applause: He put the fake hand in the branch near the platform feeder to get them used to the sight of it. Then yesterday he attatched the hand to the tree where we hang the feeders, and put some seed in its palm. The nuthatch was the first brave bird to land on it and take some seed. As well as a few others.
So this morning i think, instead of bringing out the feeders, why dont i just go out with a handful of seed, put it in my cupped palms and see if Dee-dee (I call the chickadees dee-dee's) will take his breakfast from me. AND IT WORKED!! I stood near the fake hand and stayed still staring at my palms, and down came little dee-dee, landed on my fingers, kept looking at me to see if I was going to try to eat him, took a seed and off he went. Then another and another and a couple more! It was Soooooooo CoooooooL!! Yeah, it could have been the same one returning for another seed, but when 2 came at once then i knew there was more than 1 taker. :Glee:

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline patches

Re: My Chickadee-dee-dee thrill!!!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2007, 01:09:35 PM »
Oh, Wrennie, I am so thrilled for you.  :Yahoo: I get Birds & Blooms and see all the pictures of people with birds eating out the their hands and try to imagine what an awesome feeling that must be.  I know you are really excited!!!   ;)
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2007, 01:09:49 PM »
That does sound thrilling, Wrennie! :Yahoo:

I tried the same thing with hummingbirds. (They are the ones that will look me in the eye and demand food.) Jim was nearby with the camera and I was holding the feeder in my palm, but I didn't get lucky like you. I have only tried it one time, though. I haven't given up yet... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2007, 01:14:02 PM »
That is just so cool Wrennie!  What a neat idea that was and I am so glad that you got the birds eating out of your hand.  Now you need to get Marton to take a pic of you and the birds for us to see!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2007, 01:27:06 PM »
Yes i do! I did this, this morning before he was out of bed. Maybe next weekend. He leaves way early for work.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Tonya

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2007, 02:02:52 PM »
That is soooo cool!! We definitely need pics!!  :clap: :clap:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2007, 08:10:36 AM »
So heres the hand. He hadnt told me that he had it. He just put it in the branch. I got home from work, backed into my spot, looke over to see who was on the feeders and this big hand is pointing at me! :laugh1: Made me jump!

MassMama

« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2007, 08:15:05 AM »
 :rofl1: :rofl1: That is soooo Cute Wrennie!! I am sure they will figure out it is not real soon and be eating out of the hand soon!!  :ThumbUp:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2007, 08:16:48 AM »
They eat from it already Rita. I need to put some seed out. Its a pain bringing it in and out every day, but better than having the bear here.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2007, 08:18:46 AM »
Let's just hope the bear doesn't decide to chomp down on the hand! :laugh1:

That is such a novel idea, Wrennie!
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #10 on: Sep 04, 2007, 08:34:45 AM »
Thats funny Dianna. I just said to BF last night, imagine if a bear took off down the road with the hand! I can just hear the calls to the police!! :laugh1:

Well they wouldnt come to my hand with my camera in my other hand. so i put my handful of seed on the 'hand', as soon as i got to the door they were eating from it.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2007, 08:38:44 AM »
That is so cool, Wrennie! Wonder what your neighbors think about it? It is a unique way of feeding, that's for sure!

:applause:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #12 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:07:26 AM »
What a great idea Wrennie and the picture of him/her eating is so cute!!

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #13 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:52:51 AM »
That is so cool, Wrennie. I would like a hand in my garden. It would fit right in.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #14 on: Sep 04, 2007, 10:56:04 AM »
My neighbors probably think we've lost our minds!   :laughmao: Too bad the hand doesnt give me a hand out there. It could weed between feeding birds or something.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #15 on: Sep 04, 2007, 12:55:40 PM »
Wrennie, that is just so cool!  You need to get more so you can have a tree full of hands.  What a site that would be!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #16 on: Sep 04, 2007, 03:16:37 PM »
 :laugh1: I can just 'see' a big old tree with hands sticking out all over it, maybe a couple feet at the base too  just for laughs??  :laugh1:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 04, 2007, 03:19:22 PM »
That would be funny, Wrennie. Can Marton get you some feet, too? :grinnnn:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #18 on: Sep 04, 2007, 03:26:49 PM »
he can get, ummm, every ,ahem, body part. As long as they're in the rejects.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 04, 2007, 03:29:24 PM »
 :Blush: :Blush: :Blush:

I am going to duct tape my fingers.... :laugh1:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #20 on: Sep 04, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »
:Blush: :Blush: :Blush:

I am going to duct tape my fingers.... :laugh1:
:Blush: GOOD idea!! :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal