Author Topic: What to do, what to do....  (Read 6749 times)

Offline Tonya

Re: What to do, what to do....
« Reply #25 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:42:57 PM »
I love blue flowers, Triss!! So cheery and calming! I'll google those tomorrow and see if  they will do well here! :ThumbUp:

Sarah- no one I know does gardening. As limited as my experience is- they come to me for advice  :nutz:  :laugh1: I'll check out the local nurseries for them, tho!

Tamara

« Reply #26 on: Sep 05, 2007, 08:10:20 AM »
It's coming along nicely Tonya.

Just a little note though, I see you have the vents blocked off with bricks. We blocked ours as well to keep the skunks out(long story) and ended up with a mildew problem because of no air ventilation. It's best to cover the holes with chicken wire, just fasten it into the wall.

Now to get on with the topic...How about a bleeding heart and Jacobs ladder. I also have spireas, burning bush and hydrangeas in the shade for shrubs. I also have Astilbes, silver mounds, hostas, coral bells, Goat's beard, painted daisies, armeria, delphiniums and dianthus in the shade.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #27 on: Sep 05, 2007, 08:21:11 AM »
Wrennie, what is the yellow flower you have with yours? 
Those are evening primrose.

I'll send you some seeds with those others I have for you Tonya. I think mine bloomed the second year from seeding.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #28 on: Sep 05, 2007, 05:41:20 PM »
Very pretty.  I have to get some to mix with mine, I like how they look together.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #29 on: Sep 07, 2007, 10:27:42 AM »
I'm not sure fusias will do well in your zone.  They like cooler temperatures.

I would move your azalea away from the foundation of the house.  Yours is one of the larger ones and they can give your foundation trouble.  My landlord ran into that last year. 

With your summer temperatures be sure to put the hostas in a slight depression in the bed so that they can really soak up the water.  The more heat the more water with those seems to work best for me. 

When working close to a foundation I like to make about an 18 inch space from the wall out and gravel it if possible.  That allows a space for a roof drip line just incase you get a heavy rain or the gutters become clogged when you can't get to them to clear them.  It also give me room when I have to paint the house. 

Remember to plant things with shallow root systems so the foundation isn't compromised.  Annuals are a good bet for this.  Snapdragons being a good example in a shady area.  Coleus also can make an outstanding display in that area. 

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: Sep 07, 2007, 10:48:05 AM »
Snagged from this site: http://www.greergardens.com/TREES%20%26%20SHRUBS_D-G.htm

FUCHSIA — (0°F, USDA Zones 7-11) unless otherwise noted. Grow in fertile, well drained soil, providing a deep winter mulch in colder areas. Keep just moist in winter, but water regularly and fertilize weekly during growing season.

Site also lists different descriptions for each variety of upright (or also called bush) fuchsias. Most every variety of fuchsia is either classified as a tropical or semi-tropical.

I think I remember Tonya falling in this range of zones.  :dunno:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #31 on: Sep 08, 2007, 07:03:31 AM »
Boy did I have that wrong.  Thanks for looking that up barleychown.  I wonder what kind of plant I was thinking of.  My mind just isn't dependable anymore.

MassMama

« Reply #32 on: Sep 08, 2007, 08:02:32 AM »
 :dunno: maybe crocus?

I love snap dragons .. you could also add some foxglove Tonya..
Columbine
Hosta
Fern
I have a lot of Non shade flowers in my shade beds
Black eyed susan
shasta daisys
Purple cone
star gazer lilys ect...

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #33 on: Sep 08, 2007, 03:45:13 PM »
Those are some great suggestions Rit....i have some of those in my beds too!

Offline Tonya

« Reply #34 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:03:12 AM »
I am in that range, Sarah- I think I remember being a 7(I'll have to look again  :ThumbUp: )

Quote from: duh
I would move your azalea away from the foundation of the house.  Yours is one of the larger ones and they can give your foundation trouble.
Exactly! Not only that, but it has been so neglected that it looks bad now that I have trimmed the heck outta it. I may try to transplant it to another spot.

Rita, do you have seeds from the stargazer lilies? I love those!! I like all the suggestions. I need to get busy making beds so that I can start figuring out what goes where!!  :Glee: I am soooo excited!! 
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007, 08:05:34 AM by Tonya »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #35 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:19:27 AM »
I know what you mean.  I'll be starting on the same process sometime in the near future.

MassMama

« Reply #36 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:29:06 AM »
I will have some here in a few weeks Tonya... the pods are still green But I will be sure and send some along when it is time OK!!  :ThumbUp:

Offline Tonya

« Reply #37 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:47:08 AM »
Cool!! :kissies: You rock!!  I am still waiting for my hosta seedpods to dry out so I can try to gather them also!

MassMama

« Reply #38 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:55:11 AM »
 :rolleyes1: :rolleyes1: they seem to take forever to rippen huh!!

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #39 on: Sep 09, 2007, 10:50:41 AM »
My only advise in making all the new beds and collecting bunches of seeds is, don't overdo it. Meaning dont try to do so much at once you get overwhelmed and its more of a pain than fun. Or oyu run out of room for seed starting trays. Not that I ever did that. :wink5:

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline patches

« Reply #40 on: Sep 09, 2007, 11:05:48 AM »
Tonya, I've always tried to work on one bed at a time, and when I feel I have a handle on it (even if it's not fully planted) I can start on another one.  ;)  I find that once you have the foundation in place it's always easy to build on it or add to it.   :Whis:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #41 on: Sep 09, 2007, 12:07:17 PM »
That is a great idea and one thing I have learned with mine is to plant things that are easy to care for and that come back IN THE BACK and the annuals and things you will want to switch around in the front.  I have had a heck of a time getting to some of the things I planted in the back and they just look so bad.

Offline Tonya

« Reply #42 on: Sep 09, 2007, 01:19:23 PM »
 :hot: Well, all of the azaleas are history.  :Yahoo: Boy....I had no idea their roots were such a pain in the neck. :razberry: There were about(maybe 5) there. Now, I am working on getting the "rough outline" of the bed dug out, then I am going to mulch it well to keep the weeds down. :ThumbUp: I'll get pics this afternoon, without the mulch.....
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007, 01:34:53 PM by Tonya »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #43 on: Sep 09, 2007, 01:25:18 PM »
History as in totally gone, not to be replanted anywhere?

Offline Tonya

« Reply #44 on: Sep 09, 2007, 01:35:18 PM »
Not sure where to replant them....we have TONS of azaleas!!

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #45 on: Sep 09, 2007, 01:36:16 PM »
Well I hope you find a spot, they are so pretty when they are in bloom.

christy

« Reply #46 on: Sep 09, 2007, 03:54:50 PM »
cant wait to see what you do with it tonya, i understanded the capital D , that would look nice, have you decided what all your gonna plant there?

Offline patches

« Reply #47 on: Sep 09, 2007, 06:20:35 PM »
What color are your Azaleas, Tonya!  ??? They are so beautiful, I just wish the blooms would last longer.   :(  One of my neighbors used to have them all across the back of her yard and it looked fantastic!   
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Tonya

« Reply #48 on: Sep 09, 2007, 06:53:50 PM »
This is what I accomplished today....not a lot, but we had other issues pop up.

Duh, our azaleas are pink...all of them. We probably have 15 here. They are beautiful, but these have been so neglected that they are a LOT of work!

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #49 on: Sep 09, 2007, 07:01:17 PM »
You got a lot done today Tonya!  A nice clean slate to work with now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal