Author Topic: Apple Empanadas  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Apple Empanadas
« on: Sep 25, 2007, 06:41:43 PM »
I have been making these today.  Have yet to deep fry them but so far they look yummy!  On a side note, I used only about 4 cups of diced apples still have a lot leftover after making them all.

APPLE EMPANADAS

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups flour
4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup lard or shortening
3/4 cup water
1 egg

4 lbs apples, peeled, cored and cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon cinnmamon
1 cup raisins, softened in warm water and drained
pinch of salt
1/8 cup water

2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon juice

oil or shortening for frying

PREPARATION:
Mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and a pinch of salt together. Cut in the lard with a pastry cutter or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk egg and mix into water. Mix the water and egg into the flour mixture and knead until dough forms. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Lightly flour a surface and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 4-inch circles for small empanadas, 5-inch for medium ones or 6-inch for large ones.

For apple filling:  Bring water to a simmer in a shallow pan. Add in apples and cinnamon and simmer until apples are fork-tender and water is evaporated. Add more water if necessary.

In a small saucepan mix together sugar, lemon juice and water. Begin to warm over low heat, stirring constantly. Slowly bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. If you have a thermometer, bring the sugar to about 335 degrees, when it is a dark gold color and remove from heat, remember to keep stirring! Quickly stir in cooked apples and softened raisins. Keep the filling over low heat if it begins to harden.

Filling and cooking the empanadas:  Place 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of the dough circle for small empanadas, 2 tablespoons for medium and 3 tablespoons for large.
Fold dough over to make a filled half circle and use a fork to press the edges together. Refrigerate uncooked empanadas for 3 hours.

Fry in 350 degree oil for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Apple Empanadas
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2007, 08:00:34 PM »
:542: I sure wish you lived next door to me! :licklips:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal