Author Topic: "Chia" looking ground cover [Solved] Armeria maritima (Sea Thrift)  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Patty S

There is a crazy lady who has Blue Star Creeper & this ground cover on her small, sloping front yard. 

In the summer it's absolutely gorgeous... but she wants it all out of there, so she can bark it & plant a few shrubs! :nutz:  (I was happy to help her out by digging it all up & bringing it home.)

She calls it "Sea Sprite", but I Googled that, & all I come up with is an underwater plant. :smileyNo: The pics almost make it appear as a succulent, but it's not.  Its foliage is thicker than common lawn grass & feels more like soft evergreen needles. It grows in mounds & spreads from the roots, as well as seeds from the little pinkish/burgundy colored flowers that grow on little spikes, taller than the greenery. (Evergreen)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 12:46:56 AM by Patty S »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: "Chia" looking ground cover
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2007, 01:45:40 PM »
Well, she remembered part of the name correctly! I would say it's sea thrift.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=sea+thrift&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Patty S

Thanx, Sarah... I figured you'd come through on this one! :clap:

I looked it up on a couple sites, & found out that it's deer resistant! :Yahoo: It's gunna be perfect for a section of the hill above my Iris row! (I think I finally have all the plants I needed for that slope now.) :grinnnn:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 12:48:38 AM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

Seven months after planting this stuff on a section of my hill, it's absolutely BEAUTIMUS!! :Yahoo: 

I can't wait for it to spread out & take over! :Glee: 

Does anyone know how long these blossoms will last? I sure wouldn't be a darned bit unhappy if they lasted all summer long! :yesssss:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 12:50:35 AM by Patty S »

Offline patches

Patty, mine only blooms in the spring and early part of summer, but it may last longer were you live.   :ScratchHead:  Geesh, yours are absolutely gorgeous and they are a much darker and brighter pink than mine!    :Wow:   
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal